Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Shimano MT200 Doesn’t fit on ebike kit

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 09:22 AM
PolandSprings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
i have this IronHorse Team SE bike from around the 2000s, and about 2 months ago, I converted it into an ebike with a pexamor 26 inch rear ebike kit. Now I found this deal for a MT200, and picked it up but im having trouble installing the brakes. For one, the motor stretches the frame which makes the brakes pads basically always in contact with the rotor, and makes the wheel lock up. I’ve watched countless of guides with these brakes and there’s no one that has the same issues as me. As far as I can tell it is impossible to really adjust the brakes like you can with mechanical brakes, so im wondering if there’s anything I could do at all. Thanks
Old 05-18-24, 10:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,227 Times in 2,827 Posts
That bike was not designed to be an e-bike so that could be a huge part of the problem they are low initial cost bikes by and large. It also could be you have the incorrect adaptor for the brakes assuming the bike can take disc brakes probably at that time it would have been a I.S. mount and you might need the adaptor for your rotor size and also make sure to space out the caliper appropriately. Your rotor could also be too thick for the brakes or also improperly spaced (they make 6 bolt spacers for that reason. There is also the possibility whatever you got from Amazon or Wally-Mart is poorly put together and the tolerances are off.

You might want to take some good pictures and post them after you get a total of 10 posts in 5 posts per day in the various currently active threads on the forums.
Old 05-18-24, 10:09 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 198 Posts
This seems like a mechanical fit issue.

If the rotor is too far from the caliper, scraping the inside pads. add spacers to the caliper bracket where the horizontal bolts hold it to the frame,

If the rotor is too close, and scraping the outside pad, see if you can put a bigger washer on the hub axle, Might be hard if the frame is already spread. You may have to file down the caliper bracket so it's thinner. It's only an 8 dollar part. Run down to the the bike store and they may already have a thinner piece.

By the way, if the frame is spread too far,consider a thinner gearset so it doesn't need to be so wide.