Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 09:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Kay why?
Old 05-16-24, 06:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 3,050 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Kay why?
Because any lubrication is better than no lubrication?
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-17-24, 05:12 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
WD40 dry lube

WD40 dry lube (ptfe).
This is my go-to lube.
Old 05-17-24, 08:27 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I don’t have any gear lube. Would chainsaw bar lube be an acceptable substitute?
Do a search "bar and chain lube" and lots come up over the years like this one "https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/929173-homebrew-diy-chain-lube-users-storage-application.html".
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-17-24, 08:30 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Do a search "bar and chain lube" and lots come up over the years like this one "https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/929173-homebrew-diy-chain-lube-users-storage-application.html".
I wasn’t being serious.
Old 05-17-24, 09:21 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,155 Posts
I grew up on motorcycles-mostly dirt bikes. Dad was a mechanic at a Honda shop and we used the chain lube the shop sold.
one of the single best ‘inventions’ for motorcycles was/is the O-ring chain - basically install it and forget about it

expensive - but reduced maintenance to just about nothing and last almost forever … just replace the counter shaft sprocket now and then
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-17-24, 09:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 422 Posts
I wasn’t being serious.
Other than being messy on the bike and needing a little OMS to thin it is a great chain lube and very economical, many of us had our own homebrew formulas. I don't wax but with all do respect to Zero Friction over the years I also used Chain-L, Rock and Roll, etc. and found that there is not much difference other than cost to apply and frequency of needed application. As I retired with a 5 gal bucket mostly full of industrial open chain lube which is used on very expensive drag chains moving millions of tons of crushed/powdered ore I have been using it. It's viscosity is very low so rather than drop by drop slow application I run the bottle spout down the chain rollers quickly. It is working out well and is amazingly clean after wiping the chain down with a rag over several revolutions and literally takes a couple mins at the very most. I have too many bikes to keep accurate logs but am happy with chain life as best I can tell.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-17-24, 10:38 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p
one of the single best ‘inventions’ for motorcycles was/is the O-ring chain - basically install it and forget about it

expensive - but reduced maintenance to just about nothing and last almost forever … just replace the counter shaft sprocket now and then
We were riding and working on them from the mid to late ‘60s through the ‘80s. The chains then were pretty basic.
One problem that kept coming up was riders not lubing their chain and it breaking under load. We all learned early how to replace the upper and lower sections of the crankcase. On Goldwing it seemed the chain would hit exactly where the 2 case sections met so both would need replacing.
Old 05-18-24, 04:27 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't let the chain lube choices dazzle you with wondering which is best. Just use the lube that makes sense to you. If you find you don't like something about it, then change to some other type.

Some don't need to be used as frequently. Some do a tad better in the wet. Some will help keep your chain cleaner than others. I don't know that any give significantly greater chain life.
There's only one rule of chain lube:

Lube is good; no lube is bad
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-19-24, 06:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
I have been using White Lightning chain lube, either Clean Ride or Easy Ride. Honestly I didn’t notice they have several types.
One they have is Epic Ride. This one isn’t a wax lube. It’s a synthetic.
I was reading their descriptions and White Lightning makes all of their products sound great.
Is the Epic better or worse than the others or just different?
I don’t ride in dirt, mud or gravel-just on the street or a paved trail. I try hard to avoid riding in rain. Given all this does it even matter what I use?
Stay away from Epic Ride.. supposedly one of the worst options

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-19-24, 09:42 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
There's only one rule of chain lube:

Lube is good; no lube is bad

The first rule of chain lube is: you do not talk about chain lube.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-24, 12:46 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts
This discussion led me to reading this very long critique / comparison / test analysis, which I imagine a lot of you have already seen :

from Zero Friction Cycling
Likes For Paul_P:
Old 05-25-24, 02:19 PM
phughes

We were riding and working on them from the mid to late ‘60s through the ‘80s. The chains then were pretty basic.
One problem that kept coming up was riders not lubing their chain and it breaking under load. We all learned early how to replace the upper and lower sections of the crankcase. On Goldwing it seemed the chain would hit exactly where the 2 case sections met so both would need replacing.
What are you even talking about? The Goldwing is a shaft driven bike. No chain, unless you are referring to the primary drive chain? Camshaft chain? Neither of which are something you are lubing like you would an external drive chain. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-25-24, 02:42 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by phughes
What are you even talking about? The Goldwing is a shaft driven bike. No chain, unless you are referring to the primary drive chain? Camshaft chain? Neither of which are something you are lubing like you would an external drive chain. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
Brain fart. Not Goldwing. CB 750s.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 05-25-24, 03:40 PM
phughes

Brain fart. Not Goldwing. CB 750s.
Gotcha. I sort of wondered, based on what you said, if that was what you meant. I have plenty of brain farts so no worries.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-25-24, 03:41 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Gotcha. I sort of wondered, based on what you said, if that was what you meant. I have plenty of brain farts so no worries.
Beer may have played a part too.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 05-25-24, 03:43 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

gotcha. I sort of wondered, based on what you said, if that was what you meant. I have plenty of brain farts so no worries.
😎 I really don’t know what I was thinking.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 05-25-24, 03:58 PM
phughes

Beer may have played a part too.
Old 05-25-24, 04:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
I've used many kinds of chain lube. I have been somewhat satisfied with all of them, ATF, even chainsaw/bar or whatever it's called, and even classic WD-40. None of them is perfect. Lately, I use Chain-L.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-25-24, 05:44 PM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 52 Posts
Dumond Tech Blue...

There, all done, be amazed.

...or any other lube on the planet.
Old 05-25-24, 06:41 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
Chain lubes is like comparing beers. My beer is the best, no MY beer is the best. The best beer is the one you like.

There was a fairly scientific study done comparing the various lubes. Some of the results were expected and some unexpected results. I use both a wax-based lube on some bikes and an oil-based lube on others. I like both.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-26-24, 08:23 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Stay away from Epic Ride.. supposedly one of the worst options

It should be noted the test protocol used in these tests, vastly favors melt on wax or lubes that doesnt attract too much grit and sand. - Because it involves relubing on average every 200km (simulated) without any cleaning what so ever. He just adds more lube on top of old lube and added sand etc. Melt on wax will sort of clean the chain where liquid oil will not. Imo its a bit underhanded that with the drip on lubes no effort what so ever is done to clean the chain as opposed so removing, melt lube and replace the chain with melt on wax. If the chain survives to the end it amounts to removing and replacing the chain 30 times for melt wax vs zero cleaning or other maintenance for drip lubes.

That said Epict ride may be terrible, I dunno. Just commenting the test protocol highly favors some lubes and the results are likely only replicated IRL, if you copy that. If on the other hand you spend a similar amount of time taking cafe of a drip lubed chain, the results wouldn't be as dramatic.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 05-26-24 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-26-24, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6273 Post(s)
Liked 4,300 Times in 2,409 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Chain lubes is like comparing beers. My beer is the best, no MY beer is the best. The best beer is the one you like.

There was a fairly scientific study done comparing the various lubes. Some of the results were expected and some unexpected results. I use both a wax-based lube on some bikes and an oil-based lube on others. I like both.
You are likely referring to the Friction Facts study. The graph from the study has been reproduced nearly everywhere (like here). What people seem to miss on that study is that the magnitude of the range is very, very small. Between the best and worst, there is a 5 W difference. And if we throw out the White Lightning Epic Ride outlier, the difference is only 3 W. The gains in power from the chain lube is very small and it hardly matters what is used.

To put the differences into perspective, 75W of power is needed to propel a bike at 12mph. A 5W loss is 7% of the power and a 9W loss is 1.2% of the power. At 18mph, the power need is about doubled and the percentage power loss due to the chain lube is about halved. It doesn’t make as much difference as people seem to think.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-26-24, 08:48 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I was asking more for chain life than power loss. If wax based lubes attract and hold less dirt and grit that is what I will use. It doesn’t matter to me if I need to lube more often.
I will stay with White Lightning Clean or Easy Ride.

Now to really stir things up here-how often should I clean my chain and how?
Old 05-26-24, 08:49 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Addition to #47

you also have to question the validity of some of the posted wear percentages. Frequently zfc posts figures in the 0-1% range. Meaning 0--1% of the wear allowance that is in itself 0.5% elongation vs a new chain.

Now tell me what lab grade equipment he uses to measure say 0.3% of 0.5% chain elongation. on a 110 link chain that would amount to 0.003 x 0.005 x 110 x 0.5 = 0.000825" or just shy of of thou measured over almost 4 feet.

Sure buddy! :-)
Likes For Racing Dan:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.