Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Gios Torino Super Record

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 08:06 AM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
In general one can go bit smaller with a frame and be fine at 5'5" you close enough size wise that this bike should be fine. I would say see if you can take test ride this bike does have fairly short wheelbase for it's size which you might not be comfortable with.
Yes ,but is the wheelbase short in this particular case ,it being a 48 cm?. Thank you for the comment I am going to try it out again, and, with a friends 50 cm Beottichi < (wrong spelling)
Old 05-18-24, 06:05 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
Yes ,but is the wheelbase short in this particular case ,it being a 48 cm?. Thank you for the comment I am going to try it out again, and, with a friends 50 cm Beottichi < (wrong spelling)
Look at post 444 on this thread, it may be what you are looking for and the price is fair INMHO.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-co-op-18.html

Best, Ben
Robvolz

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-18-24, 07:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,170 Posts
Alexthe Take Ben's advice. If you have an inseam of 29-30 inches it will be fine for you to ride. The price is right and I am sure Rob will help with shipping. I am 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam and normally ride a 54. The parts on the co-op bike make it worth the purchase price, but combined they are worth more than the 48 cm you were looking at. The seat alone is worth more than a new Terry would cost if you decided to make a change. I have even thought about asking to buy the Gios, but I have six vintage Italian bikes already and should keep my desires under control. If you get it it would save me from spending more on bikes than I need to. Smiles, MH
Old 05-18-24, 11:03 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Alexthe Take Ben's advice. If you have an inseam of 29-30 inches it will be fine for you to ride. The price is right and I am sure Rob will help with shipping. I am 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam and normally ride a 54. The parts on the co-op bike make it worth the purchase price, but combined they are worth more than the 48 cm you were looking at. The seat alone is worth more than a new Terry would cost if you decided to make a change. I have even thought about asking to buy the Gios, but I have six vintage Italian bikes already and should keep my desires under control. If you get it it would save me from spending more on bikes than I need to. Smiles, MH
Thank you very interesting. I don't have that much experience riding different sizes I am riding a 53cm now , and wanted to try something smaller more agile? Lighter and easier to use in New York. If I lived in the country would want to go the biggest size possible. I'm not saying not all, but this bike is a 54 cm and I now have a 53 cm that I would like to try a smaller bike? I am closer to 5'5 in height my inseam is like yours about 30. I don't have a short torso either or arms. But I'm 5'5 maybe in-between 5'6. If the bike wear a 50cm or 51cm I would take it. But I don't know yet I'll talk about it with him.
Do you think I'm wrong about the best size for me being a 50 or 51 cm?
even 53cm is a little big for me . not so big it's uncomfortable but big enough to feel big and most likely not 100% optimal .so I got one bike kind of a little too big and another bike I'm looking at that's very small may produce its own advantages and disadvantage is the perfect size is more like 50 cm or 51 cm that may be very hard to find ? I don't know.

Last edited by Alexthe; 05-18-24 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-19-24, 01:38 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 739 Posts
I am more than happy to help the co-op with the sale and packing and shipping.

Dollar Tree just got their pool noodles in!!

However, I still think the Specialized we got in would make a better touring/commuter bike
Old 05-19-24, 04:09 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 513 Posts
I think you’re overestimated how much frame size will impact ease of carrying/agility. Also I think you’re choosing about the worst kind of bike for NYC commuting, but of course to each their own!
Old 05-20-24, 12:22 AM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I think you’re overestimated how much frame size will impact ease of carrying/agility. Also I think you’re choosing about the worst kind of bike for NYC commuting, but of course to each their own!
Who knows you could be right, but if you feel that way give me some recommendations send me some references or pictures of bikes that would be better. I was struggling today carrying my Motobecane 53cm on the subway around New Yorkcity . it's very good when you're on the bike riding it and it's carrying all your bags but I could put a large seat bag on a small bike like the Gios , from what I've been able to learn from suggestions.A Holdsworth ?
Old 05-20-24, 01:57 AM
Mackers

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 150 Posts
You don't seem to realize it won't be a whole lot smaller if at all.

Seat height won't change, wheel base isn't significantly shorter, so your "small" bike ends up more or less the same size as your "big" bike.
Old 05-20-24, 11:59 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
Who knows you could be right, but if you feel that way give me some recommendations send me some references or pictures of bikes that would be better. I was struggling today carrying my Motobecane 53cm on the subway around New Yorkcity . it's very good when you're on the bike riding it and it's carrying all your bags but I could put a large seat bag on a small bike like the Gios , from what I've been able to learn from suggestions.A Holdsworth ?
Again, frame size won’t have significant bearing on weight or ease of transport. So go for the size that fits you. If I were you I’d look for a relatively lightweight sport tourer frame, and swap the drops out for upright/mustache bars. I just don’t think drop bars are practical for city riding. You could save a little more weight by building it up as a single speed. I used to commute on a Miyata 215ST set up exactly this way. Even had fenders, front basket and 32mm tires and it was still a relatively light and sporty ride, though I didn’t need to bring it up and down stairs much.

I would avoid drop bars, tubular tires, and downtube shifters for commuting, but again that’s speaking for my personal preference. I also wouldn’t want something too flashy and shiny if I needed to regularly lock it up outside in NYC. I think with your budget you could find a road bike that’s high quality but also practical, and tweak it to fit your needs.

As for specific recommendations, I’d start by asking around about shops in the city that deal in used/vintage bikes, as it’s always helpful to be able to test ride the bike know it’s coming from a reliable shop and has been properly gone through. If buying from a private seller via eBay/craigslist etc., be prepared to budget for a tuneup and/or new tires, etc.
Likes For bboy314: