Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wooden rims?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wooden rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10591 Post(s)
Liked 12,201 Times in 6,251 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Sure. That's why I prefer to look at the numbers. I've seen test results that showed only a tiny (2/100") difference in vertical compliance between an aluminum and a titanium frame. Try as I might, I haven't found any demonstrating significantly greater vertical compliance in a Ti frame.

Ti frames are great in many ways. Wouldn't mind owning one, I guess. But I suspect I'd still prefer my aluminum frame/aluminum fork Specialized Langster fixed-gear bike. Just came back from 3 1/2 hours in the hills of Baltimore County on the Langster. Again, I don't know what "comfort" means in the context of road bikes, but I get a lot of pleasure out of riding that bike.

This topic reminds me of another: the claim that the carbon fabric in carbon forks is configured to absorb shock. Back in the '80's, a teammate damaged his steel fork in a race and got a replacement carbon fork, one of the first I'd seen. I asked him how the new fork felt. "The same," he said.

Now, four of my six bikes in active rotation have carbon forks. How do they feel compared to the steel and aluminum forks on the other two? The same.
I didn't buy my Ultimate because I expected the Magical Metal That Rides Like A Cloud. I bought it because Titanium is cool, because it's different, because I'd wanted a Litespeed Ultimate since I started riding road bikes back in 1995, and because I found one I could convince myself I could afford. I don't notice much difference between it and, say, my Ritchey Road Logic, but I do feel a difference between it and my Battaglin MAX and my Cannondale, so I also notice the difference between them and the Ritchey.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-20-24, 01:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts

This topic reminds me of another: the claim that the layup of the fabric in carbon forks is configured to absorb shock. Seems possible, but I'd guess that the main design objective is to provide adequate strength with minimal weight. Not sure how much wiggle room in the design there is for making them more shock-absorptive as well.
Carbon fibre frames and components generally have very good vibration damping properties. It’s pretty evident to me with carbon bars, especially on mountain bikes. Bianchi took it a step further with their CV frame technology, but I have never ridden one.

https://www.bianchi.com/bianchi-cv/#:~:text=Bianchi%20CV%20cancels%2080%25%20of,our%20carbon%20frames%20and%20forks.
Old 05-20-24, 02:55 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, I don't think you've come even close to proving "vastly inferior". Carbon rims are notorious for poor braking in the wet, for example, and your contention that wood is heavier got blown out of the water at the top of the thread. You don't like the idea, and they wouldn't be wheels you'd want to use. I think we all get that.
I mean welcome to 2024 there is such a thing called disc brake carbon wheels
Old 05-20-24, 02:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I mean welcome to 2024 there is such a thing called disc brake carbon wheels
And there goes the last of the ways in which wood is "vastly inferior". Well done.

Old 05-21-24, 01:46 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Can someone please explain why there is a discussion on wood rims for a bike?

This isn't a thing and never will be save for a novelty one off item that very few people would be interested in.
Old 05-21-24, 04:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

This isn't a thing and never will be save for a novelty one off item that very few people would be interested in.
A total of 130 posts so far, so people are at least interested enough to comment on them.

I imagine that most of the wooden rims being produced today are bought by people who do Eroica rides, particularly in Italy.
Old 05-21-24, 05:22 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Carbon fibre frames and components generally have very good vibration damping properties. It’s pretty evident to me with carbon bars, especially on mountain bikes. Bianchi took it a step further with their CV frame technology, but I have never ridden one.

https://www.bianchi.com/bianchi-cv/#:~:text=Bianchi%20CV%20cancels%2080%25%20of,our%20carbon%20frames%20and%20forks.
"Absorbing shock" (compliance?), what @Trakhak was talking about, is not the same as vibration dampening. Vibration dampening might be a thing (I'm not arguing that it isn't) but manufacturers sell the "laterally stiff/vertically compliant" stuff too, Given the variations in designs that apparently always improve this, I'm tending towards seeing this as BS. Look at manufacturers that add and remove shock absorbing "elastomere" elements from frames (even the same basic frame).

Most of the "shock absorbing" in a road bike is going to be in the tires. The frame doesn't appear to be able to do much there at all.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-24 at 05:32 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-21-24, 06:40 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
"Absorbing shock" (compliance?), what @Trakhak was talking about, is not the same as vibration dampening. Vibration dampening might be a thing (I'm not arguing that it isn't) but manufacturers sell the "laterally stiff/vertically compliant" stuff too, Given the variations in designs that apparently always improve this, I'm tending towards seeing this as BS. Look at manufacturers that add and remove shock absorbing "elastomere" elements from frames (even the same basic frame).

Most of the "shock absorbing" in a road bike is going to be in the tires. The frame doesn't appear to be able to do much there at all.
And on the topic of vibration-damping properties of frames built with various metals, both steel and titanium are denser than aluminum and thus transmit vibration more readily.

In any event, the vibration people worry about presumably has to pass through the tires and then through the rim and spokes and fork blades. In other words, I, too, am dubious regarding the idea that vibration damping happens much at all, as well as the idea that differences in vibration between diamond frames made of various materials are perceptible.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-21-24, 07:16 PM
PeteHski

And on the topic of vibration-damping properties of frames built with various metals, both steel and titanium are denser than aluminum and thus transmit vibration more readily.

In any event, the vibration people worry about presumably has to pass through the tires and then through the rim and spokes and fork blades. In other words, I, too, am dubious regarding the idea that vibration damping happens much at all, as well as the idea that differences in vibration between diamond frames made of various materials are perceptible.
Well most people who have ridden carbon vs aluminium bars can easily feel the difference in vibration damping, so I can imagine the frame would have some effect too. I thought the ping pong ball test was quite interesting on the Bianchi page I linked. There was clearly a big difference in vibration transmission between the 2 frames. It would have been interesting to see how an aluminium frame would have compared.
Old 05-21-24, 07:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Way to go proving you’re not as smart as you think. The word you’re looking for is moot. Did you also get a cheap Chinese knockoff education to go with the wheels you keep promoting around the forum?
Actually, I think mute captured it. Just as well not to hear it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-21-24, 07:43 PM
PeteHski

I mentioned vibration specifically because it is different from stiffness/compliance. Measuring static deflection under load tells you nothing about how a structure would transmit and damp vibration.

Of course tyres are important in reducing vibration, but if you ride on chip seal, plenty of high frequency road buzz still finds its way through to the bars, so I don’t think it is BS to suggest that frame vibration is a factor. As I mentioned, carbon bars can make a real difference in regard to road buzz.

BTW as a mechanical engineer I really hate the term “shock absorber”. It doesn’t really say anything about compliance or damping.
Old 05-21-24, 08:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 973 Posts
I mentioned vibration specifically because it is different from stiffness/compliance. Measuring static deflection under load tells you nothing about how a structure would transmit and damp vibration.

Of course tyres are important in reducing vibration, but if you ride on chip seal, plenty of high frequency road buzz still finds its way through to the bars, so I don’t think it is BS to suggest that frame vibration is a factor. As I mentioned, carbon bars can make a real difference in regard to road buzz.

BTW as a mechanical engineer I really hate the term “shock absorber”. It doesn’t really say anything about compliance or damping.
You ignored what @Trakhak said in your reply to what @Trakhak said (that you quoted). Confusing.

I wasn’t saying anything about vibration-dampening anyway (I just pointed out it wasn’t what @Trakhak was talking about.) I even said it might be a thing.

I don’t find carbon frames particularly-dampening on chip seal. You’d get much, much better effect from lower pressure.
Old 05-22-24, 02:36 AM
PeteHski

You ignored what @Trakhak said in your reply to what @Trakhak said (that you quoted). Confusing.
I just picked up on what he was saying about shock absorption, which is often closely associated with vibration and damping.

https://www.sorbothane.com/technical...ion-absorbers/

If you follow this discussion back a few pages you might note that vibration damping properties of wooden wheels (whether significant or not) is what led to this particular discussion.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-22-24 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-22-24, 05:22 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

On the internets, there are discussions on everything, even wooden rims.
Old 05-22-24, 06:06 AM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Would it have been more useful if everyone just agreed with your viewpoint?
No, it would be useful if people didn't write nothing but ******** that is only the result of prejudice and ignorance.

There are objective problems with wooden rims and technical solutions to solve them, therefore substantial differences between rims produced by Ghisallo, CBitalia and others, and it would have been useful to discuss them.

Yesterday I spoke with several craftsmen, cyclists who still use wooden rims (not only during Eroica events), people who know the history of cycling and who explained to me why until 1955 they were even preferred to alluminium rims during competitions.
Likes For DiTBho:
Old 05-22-24, 06:08 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by DiTBho
No, it would be useful if people didn't write nothing but ******** that is only the result of prejudice and ignorance.

Frankly no one in here has ever driven or analyzed a wooden rim, yet you are all ready to write tons of useless ******** that just wastes my time.

There are objective problems with wooden rims and technical solutions to solve them, therefore substantial differences between rims produced by Ghisallo, CBitalia and others, and it would have been useful to discuss them, but no dice.

Yesterday I spoke with several craftsmen, cyclists who still use wooden rims (not only during Eroica events), people who know the history of cycling and who explained to me why until 1955 they were even preferred to alluminium rims.

All things that no one here knows, no one says, no one is willing to invest some time doing personal research, everyone is ready to write miles of ******** on ********, and in the end, I am not even paid to educate no one, nor I am affiliated with Ghisallo, so it's only a waste of my personal time.

This forum is very disappointing, this is the third time I've thought so.

I opened a discussion on the mechanics of the derailleur and it was just a waste of time with really imbecile people who did nothing but inflate their egos, and after solving that specific problem, I would have liked to post all the technical documentation, and I just didn't do it because of the way it is in here.

Then I got nervous again when I spent time describing the simple equations relating to standover and various parameters of a frame geometry, and I didn't like the tone of the answers at all.

And in the end, this topic ... For sure, I won't write anything anymore.
No one forces you to be on this forum. If you don't like it, you know what to do!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-22-24, 06:12 AM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
No one forces you to be on this forum. If you don't like it, you know what to do!
Sure, I know
1) put you into ignore list
2) log-out
Likes For DiTBho:
Old 05-22-24, 06:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well, you know, if all you wanted was commentary from people who had actually experienced wooden rims, this thread would have been comprised entirely of your initial post, followed by a "Anyone? Hello?"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-22-24, 06:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,774 Times in 2,913 Posts
I'd like to see pics of the Ti bike with wooden rims but without the accompanying attitude. Doesn't seem likely.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-22-24, 06:54 AM
PeteHski

Yesterday I spoke with several craftsmen, cyclists who still use wooden rims (not only during Eroica events), people who know the history of cycling and who explained to me why until 1955 they were even preferred to alluminium rims during competitions.
So maybe it would be useful if you could tell us why these riders still prefer wooden rims over aluminium and especially carbon?
Old 05-22-24, 07:01 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd like to see pics of the Ti bike with wooden rims but without the accompanying attitude. Doesn't seem likely.
Yeah. OP seems to have issues dealing with his emotions.
Old 05-22-24, 10:03 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,031 Posts
Yeah. OP seems to have issues dealing with his emotions ...
... and reality.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-23-24, 06:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,774 Times in 2,913 Posts
Clearly OP has moved this thread beyond salvage. I suggest when he gets the wheels on a bike, start a new thread in C&V with pics and a review.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-23-24, 02:34 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
On the internets, there are discussions on everything, even wooden rims.
OK. Can we talk about rubber seat posts?
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-23-24, 02:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18563 Post(s)
Liked 15,984 Times in 7,508 Posts
Sure, I know
1) put you into ignore list
2) log-out
I vote for #2.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.