Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

New to Racing? Here's a tip or two

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

New to Racing? Here's a tip or two

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 10:53 AM
wfrogge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gained 30w by reading this thread.. Thanks!
Old 01-21-08, 11:49 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just won Le Tour and the Giro! Yesterday!!

Thanks!

One up that, punks.
Old 01-21-08, 11:57 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
I just won Le Tour and the Giro! Yesterday!!

Thanks!

One up that, punks.
?

Old 01-21-08, 12:12 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread won the NFC championship for the NYG!
Old 01-21-08, 02:37 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cat4ever
A crit with a centerline rule? Forget that.
There is a local training "crit" that follows the ~1.75mile circuit around a research park here with a center-line. This is really more of a circuit race with a really short circuit, but the center-line rule is in effect as a condition of having a place to race every Wednesday.
Old 01-21-08, 02:41 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
?

What does 'one' mean?
Old 01-21-08, 03:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Hitting the stores on March 28th...

https://www.velopress.com/cycling.php?id=256
For some reason, I misread your post and thought it had just come out, so I put it on my birthday list. My poor relatives tried to find it and finally found out it's not out yet. Looking forward to it soon, though.
Old 01-21-08, 03:54 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
There is a local training "crit" that follows the ~1.75mile circuit around a research park here with a center-line. This is really more of a circuit race with a really short circuit, but the center-line rule is in effect as a condition of having a place to race every Wednesday.
Is this a sanctioned race? The rulebook is quite clear. Crits must be on a closed course.
Old 01-21-08, 05:10 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?

Ouch,
That hurts
Old 01-21-08, 05:53 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
This link belongs in here.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=379529
Old 01-21-08, 06:44 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I figured I would give my experience within the categories. I am currently a cat3, and could have my upgrade to 2 next season if I tried. In Montana, we race the 3's with the pro/1/2's due to field size. I have also raced cat3 only races as well, so that's where my upper category insight comes from.

Category (cat5) - The races are anywhere from 35-60 miles long. Usually you will race with the cat4's. Expect some fast guys trying to eek their way through to the upper categories... They will usually be the ones NOT pulling, but near the front. The guy that gets bored and takes massive pulls at the front will usually be dropped in the wind up for the sprint. If there are climbs in your race, there will be attacks on the first few ups, so be ready and near the front. If a break away succeeds, it's usually because it got away on a longer hill. As a cat5, try everything! Sit and watch, go take some pulls, shake things up with an attack or two. Get as much experience as you can in the 10 races you need to do before you upgrade to cat4.

Cat4 - Usually the same as the cat5's, but you know who's who and who/what to watch for. Try to be near the front. It keeps you somewhat crash free, and it's less work than the constant yo-yoing in the middle or back of the pack. Leave the attacking to somebody else! The only thing you need to do is make sure nobody of importance gets away. If you're in the front all of the time, you're not dropped. If you find yourself still in the top 10 in the last Km of the race, congrats! Now comes the fun. Someone is bound to get antsy and throw down a little past the Km sign. Depending on your strengths, that's your boy. Be 4 riders back from that guy. He'll realize the error of his ways, and probably slow down at the 600m, and that usually makes someone else go for it. Get on them, and wait for the 200m sign... It's up to you from there.

Cat3 - The races become longer - usually 60-90+ miles. Things can get strange from here on. Teams come into play, and tactics become important. Find a team and start training with them as you learn the game. Your first few races might see you working your ass off to get somebody else across the line, so don't expect much in the win category. If you don't have a team, don't waste your energy. Sit in and get near the front (recurring theme). Make yourself invisible until it counts! Riders are finding their strengths and they know how to make people hurt, and same goes for you. If you find yourself in a break and you're a climber, you have it easier. Wait for a hill, get on the front, and rain the pain. Climbing is slower (duh) so drafting becomes almost non-existent. If you hurt, they hurt. When the hill crests, let the other guys take over and save yourself for the finish.

Cat1/2/pro - These categories are fast on a whole new level - A level that can leave you scratching your head as the rest of the group rides into the distance. You're racing with pros. Think about that before you do anything stupid... But by now, you should have a team and know your responsibilities. If you feel like you can't do your job for a certain race, SAY SOMETHING, as your teammates are counting on you to do a job. Not doing that job can ruin the race for the team, and possibly send you looking for a new kit.

If anyone can add or subtract anything, I welcome it.

Sticky this maybe?
Happy now?
Old 01-21-08, 06:52 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
+1 to the insert by enthalpic, it deserves to be in here.
Old 01-21-08, 06:53 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Happy now?
Yes.

*hands in pockets*

*kicks rock*
Old 01-21-08, 07:17 PM
seppomadness

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yes.

*hands in pockets*

*kicks rock*
Hows the snow? (chortle chortle)

Old 01-21-08, 07:45 PM
Cypress

*shakes fist*
Old 01-22-08, 04:38 AM
seppomadness

*shakes fist*
This is what where I will be riding tomorrow. Sorry but no snow for me!

Old 01-22-08, 04:40 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
OK Kangaroo boy, let's keep it on topic.
Old 01-22-08, 04:44 AM
seppomadness

OK Kangaroo boy, let's keep it on topic.
I am on topic. Moral of the story is: if you are new to racing and want to get ahead then race down under in your off season!

You will return home a cycling god.

Old 01-22-08, 08:47 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seppomadness
I am on topic. Moral of the story is: if you are new to racing and want to get ahead then race down under in your off season!

You will return home a cycling god.
If things pan out, and I get a decent raise in a year or two, I'll be taking a mid-winter vacation down to Kangaroo Land. I'm doing alright now and might be able to afford it (although the flight would cost more than the 2 weeks for a hotel and food) but I want to be a bit more secure before going down that road.

Or I could just go to San Diego.
Old 01-22-08, 09:38 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Is this a sanctioned race? The rulebook is quite clear. Crits must be on a closed course.
I've said too much. Forget I ever mentioned such a race in existence.

But seriously, it is a training race -- I am honestly not sure if it is sanctioned. Nonetheless, one could creatively interpret, "A criterium is a circuit race held on a small course entirely closed to traffic." The way the course is set up, no traffic is allowed in the lane being used for the race, and the opposite lane is pretty much closed during races. At the very least, this is a pretty good weekly training race. People complain too much, and the race goes away.
Old 01-22-08, 09:53 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Greenbelt Training Races found here:

https://www.route1velo.com/GreenbeltInfo.asp

..are semi-closed. It has a Brit-lane (I made that up, but it's a lane that motor vehicles drive on the "wrong" side of the road, but in the same direction that the racers are going (clockwise around the park). The center line rule and all USCF rules apply.

Here's some text about the course (2007 permit):

Course / Format

The course loop is approximately 1.4 miles on the perimeter roadway of the Park. The yellow line rule is strictly enforced. The race start times and distances may vary depending upon safe racing conditions and the Chief Referee and/or Park Rangers' discretion.

The race format may change with approval of both the promoter and USCF Oficials. The race will be held unless course conditions are deemed unsafe by the promoter, Chief Referee and/or Park Rangers.

Note: if rain is forecast for Wednesday afternoon or evening, advance notice of race cancellations may be made by 4pm that day. Use the contact information listed below for status updates.

All USCF rules apply. Held under USCF permit 2007-875.
The point? Not all USCF crit races are blessed with completely closed courses or devoid of the center line rule.

Last edited by NoRacer; 01-22-08 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 10:23 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^Greenbelt is a training race meaning you can get dropped, crash, flat, stop and get a drink from your car, whatever, and re-enter the race. It doesnt meet the definition of a criterium as it's open to traffic, and although permitted as a series, aside from mass start Cat 5-->4 upgrade starts, results are not applicable to upgrade. That being said, if you have 19 points from non-training races (i.e. real races) to upgrade from Cat 4-->3 and use a result from greenbelt to supplement your resume, the local upgrade coordinator will usually use said result.
Old 01-22-08, 10:28 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
It doesnt meet the definition of a criterium as it's open to traffic, and although permitted as a series, aside from mass start Cat 5-->4 upgrade starts, results are not applicable to upgrade.
That's if you get a result at all. Because it is a training race, sometimes they count the first dozen finishers, sometimes they only count the first three.
Old 01-22-08, 10:35 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
That's if you get a result at all. Because it is a training race, sometimes they count the first dozen finishers, sometimes they only count the first three.
they're counting results by hand so the # that they record is dependent upon what they can visually count. if it's a group, then they're guessing at who finishes where, if strung out, it's easier. lesson for greenbelt - be OTF and solo for the W!!!!
Old 01-22-08, 04:02 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Probably the only useful tip I can think of (aside from the shaving discussion)...

If you're at the starting line and some gnarled looking veteran shows up with some old beater and toe straps, try to stay on his wheel because it might just be this guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.