Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post your utility bike thread

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Post your utility bike thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 12:02 PM
duppie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Lesar
Here is a shot of my recently completed CETMA Cargo.

That is the first CETMA Cargo I see in the wild.
Do you mind talking a little about your experiences so far? Build, ride, purchase process, etc.
It appears to have an IGH with a chain tensioner? I would love to hear more about it!
Duppie
Old 07-02-09, 03:02 PM
christian_piper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I just recently completed my first utility bike- took my old trek hardtail 4300, put sefas drifter tires on, put a cheap used rigid fork on the front, (Green!) and got 2 wald baskets.

The rear carriers are on there all the time, the front grocery basket, I consider removable. (I am looking for some material like chain slap gaurds, clear smooth and strong, to put on the handlebars to prevent scratching when I take the basket on and off.)
Also, being a quick release bike, the front wald basket legs didn't have anyplace to mount onto, so I had to improvise, and the rear carriers mount wouldn't fit around the rear tube (designed for dual tubes in that area, and smaller) - to get that to work I had to drill 2 new holes farther apart in the wald bracket, and buy longer (stainless steel) bolts. I also threw some rubber in there so it wouldn't damage the bike. The baskets are pretty much level.

I call her multiple personality disorder, and she rides great! I also have a GPS mount you can see with the GPS on, (and off in the latest photo)

I am going to include close up shots of how I mounted the baskets.

Right after completion:

The rear basket mount I had to fiddle with- the new holes I drilled make the bolts about half an inch wider:

The front basket leg mounts- not the strongest solution, I could drill into the fork... but this is pretty good, and will support all the weight I would want to put in it:

And for the last photo, today's errands. As you can see, no front basket today. Sticking up was fine, because I wasn't going very far, and the handling was pretty good. There was more in the other side balancing it all out.
(I really do need a new kickstand though... or at least slightly shorten my current one)

Last edited by christian_piper; 07-02-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 12:18 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
After yesterday's parade... my diy longbike.

Old 07-03-09, 10:12 AM
John Lesar

Bikes: Ahearne CycleTruck, Marin Pine Mnt. Surly LHT,Spot SS MTB, Windcheetah trike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duppie
That is the first CETMA Cargo I see in the wild.
Do you mind talking a little about your experiences so far? Build, ride, purchase process, etc.
It appears to have an IGH with a chain tensioner? I would love to hear more about it!
Duppie

So far I am very happy with the bike. I built it from a frameset since I had most of the parts to complete the build. The craftsmanship looks good with nicer welding than I have seen on other bikes. The lack of water bottle cage bosses would be my only negative so far, but you can rig something.

I am using a Shimano Alfine 8 speed IGH with a Soulcraft Convert tensioner. I like this tensioner because it doesn't rely on a spring for tension and has a feature to allow it to swing out of the way when removing the wheel. Shimano dynohub. Avid BB7 discs. Schwalbe Big Apples. Nitto Albatross bars and Periscopa stem. Brooks Champion Flyer. Since the picture was taken I have installed some Wald chromed steel fenders which have much better coverage. Everything installed without any fuss or modifications.

It does take a few miles to get used to the handling. I have no problem using it as an everyday bike. I have used it for my 20 mile RT commute to work. I haven't carried anything too heavy yet, probably less than 50 lbs so far, but it wasn't an issue for the bike or handling. I wish I could compare it with other bikes of this type but there is nothing like this in my area

Purchasing was easy through the CETMA site. I got a call from Lane within a few hours to confirm the purchase. A few days later I got my tracking number and a week or so later it was at my door.

John

Last edited by John Lesar; 07-03-09 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-06-09, 05:29 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up this little number over the weekend I think we're going to have some fun.

Likes For YoKev:
Old 07-06-09, 05:41 AM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
I picked up this little number over the weekend I think we're going to have some fun.
What a score! Nice!
Old 07-06-09, 08:15 AM
rtciv

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, where did you get it, and how much did it cost, if you don't mind?

Do you have any pics of the gears and such?
Old 07-06-09, 09:58 AM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
Nice pickup Do I hear the clanking of spanners - the whiff of paint fumes, then its....

TAXI!!!

Regards
Tom
Old 07-06-09, 10:06 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got it from a local antique reseller who got it at an estate sale. The bike is really not that old, so don't let the rod brake fool you. I paid $150. Worse case scenario is I sell it for what I paid in better running order, or I have a great base for a trailer.

Generally it's in good shape. I'm giving it a good once over before I start riding it, but the craftsmanship is kind of lacking. It's got chinese branded parts everywhere, so I can't even read them to look it up online. Whatever Apparently, it came from a divorce that came from NYC.

It's a singlespeed drivetrain. The freewheel threads on to the rear axle just like you would on a normal bike, but there are two feet of threads to run it down. It came stock with a really junky 36t crankset, so I swapped it out for some Truvative cranks/Race Face bash guard/Blackspire 32t ring I had kicking around. I would expect it to be geared pretty ok now, but I have no idea really. As mentioned above, the front brake is a rod brake, and the rear is a ban type drum brake. It should do fine on flat ground.

I need to rustoleum some of the underbody, finish cleaning, buy a few bolts, and replace the headset bearings. Almost good to go! Once it's running, I'll have to decorate the cab and perhaps try my hand at a DIY canopy. I like the checkers idea
Old 08-07-09, 01:35 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's mine......
Old 08-07-09, 01:44 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Whooops....

I posted without including the photo.

Let me try again.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
008.jpg (105.3 KB, 277 views)
007.jpg (100.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-11-09, 08:51 PM
sheba
ec velo

Bikes: XC: PUSS; Winter Beater: GT avalanche SS; Jump: Transition Trail or Park; Fixie: Steamroller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a year ago I stumbled upon this bike on the web. This bike is made by Project Rwanda and has already been distributed to several thousand coffee farmers in Rwanda, hence the name. After a bunch of phone calls and unreturned e-mails, I finally found some coffee bikes in the US. I was able to get one shipped to me for a sweet deal.
The bike came fully ready to ride. Most of the parts were lower quality; I did quite a bit a work to get to the bike to where it is now. I semi-copied the extra-cycle freeloader bag system and sewed up my own bags with 1000 denier cordura nylon and heavy duty nylon webbing. The system works awesome. The bike handles great. This summer I rode it to Seattle, WA and back from my house in Eau Claire, WI; no failures.

Some pics.

Bare frame

My homemade bags

Glacier National Park
Old 08-11-09, 10:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

sheba - That is simply spectacular.

I would love to get a few of these frames to build up and am guessing they are probably rock solid.
Old 08-11-09, 11:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Nekkid pics...

Old 08-12-09, 08:11 PM
sebnukem
o_O

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX Ultra, Motobecane 700HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah. I love posting pics of my bike as much as I love my bike. 43lbs as shown, with rain jacket, sun screen, air pump and bike lock in one pannier padlocked to the rack. The other pannier has a shoulder strap to use it as a carry-on bag.

I use it to commute, for groceries, fun and everything else. It's the only one I want to ride. https://imgur.com/yM0VC.jpg

Seb
Attached Images
700ht_3.jpg (100.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-12-09, 08:42 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheba~ I had to wipe the Homer Simpson drool off my laptop I want WANT WANT!!

But then again I also want 65'ers bike too which I've actually gotten to see in person.
Old 08-13-09, 07:53 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Nekkid pics...
Sixty, is it right that the chainstays of both the rear triangles are almost level w the ground? do not remember how mine is, must find that out.
Old 08-13-09, 07:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Yep...my stays are almost even.

It makes for a little less pedal clearance but also drops the main frame a few inches which will even allow my little sister to ride the bike with the saddle lowered.
Old 08-15-09, 12:03 PM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sheba
About a year ago I stumbled upon this bike on the web. This bike is made by Project Rwanda and has already been distributed to several thousand coffee farmers in Rwanda, hence the name. After a bunch of phone calls and unreturned e-mails, I finally found some coffee bikes in the US. I was able to get one shipped to me for a sweet deal.
The bike came fully ready to ride. Most of the parts were lower quality; I did quite a bit a work to get to the bike to where it is now. I semi-copied the extra-cycle freeloader bag system and sewed up my own bags with 1000 denier cordura nylon and heavy duty nylon webbing. The system works awesome. The bike handles great. This summer I rode it to Seattle, WA and back from my house in Eau Claire, WI; no failures.
Old 08-16-09, 05:42 AM
twentysixtwo
Endurance junkie

Bikes: '93 GT Pantera, '03 Fuji Marseille, '05 Klein Attitude, Dahon Impulse, Bike Friday Family Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyrell
Not the prettiest but it works for me!

How is the large green plastic basket attached. Doesn't it throw you off balance?

JK.

Good choice. GT bikes are bombproof.
Old 08-16-09, 09:43 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Taking my folding bike Little Red to the shop for a new handlebar post. they say it'll be ready on Wednesday.

Novara Randonee, pulling a Dahon Curve D3 in a Burley Nomad.

a quickr pickr post

My bands:
Old 08-21-09, 01:07 AM
Curious LeTour
touring newbie

Bikes: Sun Kruizer 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey twentysixtwo, thanks for making me laugh!
Old 08-30-09, 05:24 AM
macfred 

Bikes: can't count them all

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
I'm not done coating her handlebars...

Batavus Old Dutch traditional omafiet.

Everything is mostly stock except for the grips and the brooks.

It's considered a woman's frame but I'm comfortable enough to sport her, and I love look and the easy dismounts of loop frames.
Here`s an other dutch one called "Pastoor-Kruisframe"made by https://www.workcycles.de/lastenfahrrad/index.html

andy
Old 08-30-09, 01:50 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The pastor needs skirt guards too riding in his robes. I love the biblical reference of the cross in the frame. I love that bike. Thanks for posting pics. Is that Germany?
Old 08-30-09, 02:52 PM
macfred 

Bikes: can't count them all

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
The pastor needs skirt guards too riding in his robes. I love the biblical reference of the cross in the frame. I love that bike. Thanks for posting pics. Is that Germany?
It`s in the Netherlands...Only a few miles out of Amsterdam.

andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.