Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 07-08-09, 07:32 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rode to gym - 1 miles, swam for 50 minutes, lifted for 60 minutes, rode to McD's for breakfast - 2.5 miles then home - 3.5 miles = 7 miles!!!!!!! Average speed was infinitessimally slow.
Old 07-08-09, 11:45 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A club ride. 17 of us started out together. 12 went to Auburn CA for brunch. 5 of us went down to Folsom and back, at a moderately fast pace - - 60 miles. Enjoyed it greatly.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-09-09, 05:49 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great 35 mile ride with friends along the local trails and roads for lunch in Troy. We tried a new restaurant and it was great. I had their delicious Turtle cheesecake but it was gone before I had a chance to take a picture of it

Near the middle of the picture you can see the Momma deer and one of her twins.
[IMG][/IMG]

One of trails runs along the old Erie Canal.

Some of the new signs for trails in our area. The trails are numbered and give mileage to different destinations. They're great for out-of-town riders.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-09-09, 05:56 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Beverly
Some of the new signs for trails in our area. The trails are numbered and give mileage to different destinations. They're great for out-of-town riders.
You have trail signs??

With all of the 100's of miles of trails in the Denver metro are, we have hardly any trail signs. We do have periodic trail maps on posts, but that doesn't really help someone at a Y intersection.

I have tried to get the bridge underpasses marked with the names of the streets - for safety and emergency purposes - they have promised, but nothing yet. I have founf folks far off of where they think they are!

Great pictures!! Love the deer and twins.
Old 07-09-09, 06:14 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You have trail signs??

With all of the 100's of miles of trails in the Denver metro are, we have hardly any trail signs. We do have periodic trail maps on posts, but that doesn't really help someone at a Y intersection.

I have tried to get the bridge underpasses marked with the names of the streets - for safety and emergency purposes - they have promised, but nothing yet. I have founf folks far off of where they think they are!

Great pictures!! Love the deer and twins.
They started installing the signs this year. They're also installing signs on the bridges and other overpasses for easy identification. As you say, it's nice to know where you are in case of an emergency.

Our local trails run through several counties. All are paved I encounter many out-of-town riders and they've all commented on how easy the signs have made it to navigate them. There are trail maps located at the rest stops along the trails and the route numbers on the signs are on the maps.

At the bottom of each sign is the name of the organization that owns and maintains that trail. This has helped to keep informed of trail problems. The organization listed on the sign in the picture is Five Rivers MetroPark - I'm a member of their volunteer bike patrol group.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-09-09, 08:24 AM
Kragg
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
37 windy miles after work....but it's all good. : )
Old 07-09-09, 09:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yesterday evening, hammer ride with the group. 34 miles of aerobic torture. We started with a group of 17. We dropped the first one about 4 miles out, on an open flat, 2 more on the first hill, two more on subsequent hills. Being Michigan, the hills are small; just big enough to take at 99% MHR and crest 2 seconds before exploding, and that's pretty much what I did. I made an attempted breakaway with 6 miles left, but couldn't hold it and got swallowed back up by the pack. About a mile and a half from the end, one stallion blasted off the front of the pack and after my riding buddy Chris, in a truly amazing display. But, he didn't last. A half mile later, two others teamed up to chase him down. With 3/4 mile left, I took off. Flew by the pair, then wasted the loner. He heard me coming and put his head down, but he had nuttin' left and was down to 25 mph, and I passed him at nearly 30 mph, about 200 yds before the city limit sign. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything left either, and I was unable to catch Chris, who crossed the line less than a hundred feet in front of me. I was so wasted! No HRM with me, but I'm pretty sure I set a new high HR.

This evening will be a 'rinse' ride. Man, do my legs hurt!
Old 07-09-09, 01:24 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally a day with the sun shineing. did a ride from from Mother in laws /to my daughters 25mi/felt good Ill be gone for a while soon[any day] OH Canada awaits GOD ive missed east./Kenneth
Old 07-09-09, 01:29 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Greetings Beverly; Great pictures/Great rideing im sure./Kenneth
Old 07-09-09, 04:46 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah DnvrFox the joys of cross training/Kenneth///I met a Canadian couple who had taken the Ferry across the Saguenay Thay said the area im going to is beautiful and northern oriented thay saw many whales on the short ferry ride./Kenneth
Old 07-09-09, 07:32 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DnvrFox;9245718]You have trail signs??

I wish they would put up some signs to let the peds know that walking 5 abreast with 4 dogs on leashes on both sides is not a great idea....(sorry for the whine)

Bud..
Old 07-09-09, 07:39 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bride and I rode 8 1/2 miles round trip along the Erie Canal today. We transported our bikes to Henpeck Park in Greece N.Y. (oh, it's a real place alright...here's the picture to prove it. Trust me, I'm not clever enough to make this stuff up)

We rode to a place named "The Galley" in Spencerport N.Y. , situated right on the edge of the canal. Their sign out at the street reads that it's like a trip to the Caribbean inside. Here'a my bride at the sign out in back as we left the canal-side, covered, outdoor dining area. I sure treat her awfully good!

The canal runs right through the middle of the town, as it does in most canal towns. Here's my wife with our bikes and some old guy in a little park in Spencerport alongside the canal of course. The Galley is across the canal behind us.

Here's what most of the trip looked like. Blue skies, calm water and occasional Towpath riders and a few kayakers.

In the evening I struck off on my own and rode 17 1/5 miles round trip making certain to stop at "The Ice Cream Hut" for a frozen Vanilla Custard.

Today was a good day.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-09-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:02 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Near the middle of the picture you can see the Momma deer and one of her twins.
Beverly, how fortunate to see those deer on the ride. I'm always thrilled to come across wildlife and often attempt to get a picture though I haven't managed to get one as nice yours yet.
Old 07-09-09, 08:12 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rode to work on my Motobecane Grand Record today. The weather was quite moderate for D.C. in July. This makes 6 days in a row.
Old 07-09-09, 08:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I took several rides today.

While my wife was at the MD's, I took my bike out of the car and rode on the nearby Highline Canal Trail, which goes 66 miles through the south Denver metro area.

Here is a typical picture. The canal itself is dry most of the time. The trail is about 25 feet wide, and is highly used on weekends.

Here is the trail system of the South Suburban Park and Recreation District, on the SW side of the metro area. Some of the trails are much longer, but only the distances within the park system are shown. The Highline Canal is the barely visible yellow, as is the 40 mile long Mary Carter Greenway. All the trails connect via the Highline Canal and MC Greenway.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:43 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short ride on the BRP this afternoon until the T-storms chased me back to the car. It's just as well as I couldn't find my legs today after the past 3 hard rides.
Old 07-09-09, 08:52 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as I got home from work today, I took off on a solo ride, from my driveway. It was perfect riding weather, 104 degrees with a 15 mph south wind (the term "blast furnace" came to mind). I did an easy 25 miles, and I'll skip riding tomorrow, so I'll be well rested for Saturday's 200k.
Old 07-09-09, 08:56 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
After yesterday's hard ride, tonight's was designated EASY. I wore my HRM and kept it in zones 1 or 2, which for me is 118 bpm or less. Only went over the self-imposed limit once, for about 10 seconds, when I had to accelerate from a stop sign on a climb. Some of the club riders took advantage of the rare chance to pass me. Whoop it up, guys! It was the first time this season that I've done rides for 4 days in a row.
Old 07-10-09, 09:48 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Last night was a roller workout with a simulated 2K pursuit. 2X10 @ 100 cadence Z2 on TT bike, Simulated 2K on Track bike, 1X10 @100 cad: Z2 TT bike.
Old 07-10-09, 12:49 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday 7/10/09... Temp 88 feels like 92 and humidity 55%.

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 30.03 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 236.77 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3486.43 (s)miles

GO Lance Armstrong....7 time Tour De France winner, I hope he makes it 8
Old 07-10-09, 01:24 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the regular Friday morning ride to Arcanum, OH for lunch at Smith's Coffeehouse. This is a picture of the street in front of the restaurant a couple years ago....believe me, nothing has changed except the cars parked along the street
]

It was a beautiful sunny day with temps in the low eighties and a nice breeze from the south. The hot humid weather is due to arrive later today.

On the way home we stopped to talk to this young man and his father. The man restored the old steam engine tractor. The young man's tractor is powered by a small Honda engine.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-10-09, 03:28 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My club usually does a short ride on Friday, but today was even shorter. Even with my "pre-ride" 5 miles and going around my block at the end, I just barely made it to 30 miles. But the route was good, with about 2500 feet of climbing, including two 15-17% bumps. There were 8 of us.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-10-09, 03:48 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Last night I rode with my club and several of my race team members showed up as well. I pushed extra hard, standing and sprinting to bridge gaps and doing everything I could to stay in the mix. For the last 5 miles to our 1st regroup area I was pulling a really tall man on a new Trek Madone 5.2; he struggled to stay on my wheel so I didn't yell at him to take a pull. Turns out that he's new to the area and had to follow me to know where to go. Two weeks ago I'd have let him pull me.

The rest of the ride was into the wind and I did a lot of standing and chasing when I found myself falling off a wheel. I ended up with 30.1 miles, avg. 18.1 mph, avg. cadence 91. No pics because I haven't perfected the skill of picture-taking at 27 mph.
Old 07-10-09, 05:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Andy had a medical appt at 8:30 for a dye injection, and then again at 11:30 for lower body bone scan.

He was with his caregiver in the interim, so I took the opportunity to ride the mtn bike on the Lee Gulch Trail, a beautiful but steep in places gravel urban trail right in the middle of a southern suburb, Littleton.

As you look at the pics, you will see a tunnel under the RR track and the freeway, a bicycle traffic circle after the Lee Gulch joins the Platte River Trail (cement), a rest area, and the Platte River.

Old 07-10-09, 06:18 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
120 miles today, I'll post a report tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.