Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How can you ride with music?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How can you ride with music?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 07:04 PM
WCoastPeddler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
I'm with umd- I trust people I know, but if I don't know you and see you're wearing earphones (especially both of them), I'm usually giving you a wide berth, until I know better.
That makes me feel a lot better. A whole lot better. I like a wide berth.
Old 10-04-09, 07:21 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Etymotic E6As. You can really put them in deep to eliminate ambient noise, or wear them looser. Mainly they reproduce music well.

I can't fault UMD, except if he doesn't have a stereo-to-monophone mixer, he's only listening to half the music, which half depends on which ear he's got plugged in.
Old 10-04-09, 07:26 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
I can't fault UMD, except if he doesn't have a stereo-to-monophone mixer, he's only listening to half the music, which half depends on which ear he's got plugged in.
I've thought about it but figure it would be hard to get one that would also work with the phone's mic.

The "half the music" thing never really bothered me.

I've said before in other threads, I'm just looking for background noise, not an audiophile orgasm.
Old 10-04-09, 07:40 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
I wear Etymotic E6As. You can really put them in deep to eliminate ambient noise, or wear them looser. Mainly they reproduce music well.

Most music today is mixed mostly center. You rarely loose the other half. This only matters in some early stereo Rudy Van Gelder recording where the bass and piano/sax and drums and panned to either extreme right or left
Old 10-04-09, 07:45 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by logdrum
Most music today is mixed mostly center. You rarely loose the other half. This only matters in some early stereo Rudy Van Gelder recording where the bass and piano/sax and drums and panned to either extreme right or left
Or Bob & Doug McKenzie's Great White North album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WCXnlFWaIY
Old 10-04-09, 07:51 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logdrum
Not true... but it doesn't matter, it's really not critical to the eternal headphone "debate".
Old 10-04-09, 07:52 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I've thought about it but figure it would be hard to get one that would also work with the phone's mic.

The "half the music" thing never really bothered me.

I've said before in other threads, I'm just looking for background noise, not an audiophile orgasm.
Who knows what's happening when you've got the instrumental on and singing karaoke/
Old 10-04-09, 09:16 PM
chadfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Works great.
Old 10-04-09, 09:26 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Just answer this: how is it any different than listening to the music on the radio in the car?
It isn't. Both can be done to the point where they can distract attention sufficiently to increase accident risk. And both can be done to minimize distraction as well. Wouldn't you agree?

You don't do the former, but many, many riders/runners/baby joggeristas do.
Old 10-04-09, 09:26 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
I guess you'd better update the police on your conclusion: "Police said an iPod music player was found beside Stormer after the collision, leading police to believe she was listening to music that might have prevented her from hearing what was happening around her."

So what if my citation wasn't the best one? There are plenty more out there. I won't bother to post more ... no sense in destroying this thread with non-stop back-and-forth. Every other thread on this topic ends the same way.
Maybe the cord prevented her from looking up and seeing the red light.
Old 10-04-09, 09:27 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WCoastPeddler
That makes me feel a lot better. A whole lot better. I like a wide berth.
You get an entire continent, almost. Hope that's enough!
Old 10-04-09, 09:30 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
No hearing and no visual awareness...now that is a little scary.
Yes, you're absolutely correct. I cannot hear a damn thing and I ride with my eyes closed. I've been hit by hundreds, if not thousands of car in the past three years and I've legally died a few times in between.
Correct assumption! You are absolutely correct Awesome try, you hit it out of the park with your amazing assumption. You are a man of wax, a towering statue of cycling safety perfection. I love you. I want to kiss you on the forehead and bask in your aura of perpetual correctitude. Hand me a cigarette, because I just came.
Old 10-04-09, 09:37 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
Yes, you're absolutely correct. I cannot hear a damn thing and I ride with my eyes closed. I've been hit by hundreds, if not thousands of car in the past three years and I've legally died a few times in between.
Correct assumption! You are absolutely correct Awesome try, you hit it out of the park with your amazing assumption. You are a man of wax, a towering statue of cycling safety perfection. I love you. I want to kiss you on the forehead and bask in your aura of perpetual correctitude. Hand me a cigarette, because I just came.
And you're the epitome of awesome, with talent and ego much too large to be contained in the smallness of Ohio. You are destined for greatness, and need to go to, um, Pennsylvania or someplace equally grand. Get thee hence!

But first, clean up your mess. Can't leave the 'rent's basement all sticky...
Old 10-04-09, 09:41 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you're the epitome of awesome, with talent and ego much too large to be contained in the smallness of Ohio. You are destined for greatness, and need to go to, um, Pennsylvania or someplace equally grand. Get thee hence!

That's exactly what I said. Please repeat it back to me, my ego needs stroking.
Old 10-04-09, 09:54 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's exactly what I said. Please repeat it back to me, my ego needs stroking.

Old 10-05-09, 03:32 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granted, this is from 2002, not much "texting" going on yet, but the car radio is a distraction...

https://yfrog.com/5hchpstudyj

Again, some can deal better with it than others. But a distraction's a distraction.... All of you who always listen to music in the car (like me), turn it off sometimes, there is a difference.

But, music is a risk some of us are going to take, hopefully those who can't ride a bike coherently with music on, will keep the headphones off.
Old 10-05-09, 04:09 AM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI for those of you listening to regular open air earphones, don't try to increase the volume level to compensate for the wind noise. You won't notice in the wind, but those high SPLs can cause permanent hearing damage.

I tried listening to music on the road for the first time tonight and I do like it. It was 2am on a Sunday night so I probably saw 2 cars in 20 miles but the music really does make hills much less painful.
Old 10-05-09, 05:05 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamish200sx
Not really sure what you are getting at by calling me a white man, but I'm referring to a bike lane. If you are riding on the right hand side of the road what is hearing a car coming from behind going to do for you? If you hear one, where are you planning on going?
And as for the loss of balance, if listening to music makes you lose your balance you may have some neurological issues you might want to get checked out. For the general public this is not an issue at all.
If you have read the thread, you'd know that I do listen to music...and I guess I should have used some kind of smiley to clue you in that 'white man' was just a turn of phrase, but I didn't think you were neurologically challenged to the point that I would confuse you so much.

As far as bike lanes...don't got many of those around here...which was my point. I ride on the road...and in most cases close to home there are no shoulders, let alone bike lanes. But I don't see what any of that has to do with one's desire (or lack of) for good situational awareness...whether they listen to music or not or whether they have bike lanes or not. Knowing what is going on around you is a good thing...no downside, no matter where you are or what you are doing.
Old 10-05-09, 05:09 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
Please stop mish-mashing responses. I was asked to provide a citation showing why wearing earbudS would be a HUGE safety hazard. I did.
No, you didn't. There is no evidence that listening to an Ipod caused this poor person to be stoopid enough to cross against the light. Try again.
Old 10-05-09, 05:12 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use my cadence meter faithfully when I ride, but I only synch my cadence to the beat when going up hills if I want to raise my cadence. On stiff hills then, even a low cadence, say 50-60 can be beneficial. I select my playlist not only by cadence but by the melody and harmony. So on the flats or downhills, the music is a pleasant accompaniment. My main criterion to put a tune on my playlist is "Do I want to hear this while struggling up a hill (and do I want to hear it more than once, since it is on my playlist)?".

BTW, don't knock Lawrence Welk; he had good musicianship. If you object to his tunes, IMO, Big Band standards (and Classic Rock) are great for cycling.
Lawrence Welk is for fossilized wussy
Old 10-05-09, 05:19 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you can hear it, it IS a distraction. Your brain is processing additional info, and there is some diminished attention as long as it is. That's a fact, jack. You just can't argue that.
Yes, we can. There is no diminished attention from listening to music than there is from the sounds of the city, unless the shattering crescendo of chewing gum prevents you from being able to walk.
Old 10-05-09, 05:31 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Once again, you (all) wouldn't listen to music while riding if you can't hear it, and aren't processing it. This is just brain processing fact: If you're processing it, it's taking some of your attention, and is a distraction from attending to other things, including riding. It really doesn't matter if it's earphones or a car radio, it's the same basic process. If you're not actively attending to it, it's just noise.
Except that we humans have these little things called brains that not only process information, but can also prioritize the information to be processed. Thus, if nothing more important is in the queue, the music is heard, but once something more important comes into the queue, the music is no longer being processed.

But you are right to a point....some people simply can't do anything well if there is the slightest distraction. Those people probably should not ride with music...or ride at all, or drive, or attempt to walk and chew gum.
Old 10-05-09, 06:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
huh? What is this "2 foot wide lane that cars don't drive in", white man?
Originally Posted by Hamish200sx
Not really sure what you are getting at by calling me a white man, but I'm referring to a bike lane...
Old, well-known joke:

Lone Ranger: Well, Tonto, we're surrounded by hostile Indians. It loolks like it's the end for us.

Tonto:What do you mean, we, White Man?

I don't believe chipcom would toss out gratuitous insults:

BTW, don't knock Lawrence Welk; he had good musicianship. If you object to his tunes, IMO, Big Band standards (and Classic Rock) are great for cycling.
Originally Posted by chipcom
Lawrence Welk is for fossilized wussy
See what I mean; I'm flattered. After all, didn't he used to post from Wussyville, Ohio, though now he's "under the bus."
Old 10-05-09, 06:30 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess we found who has the thin skin didn't we?

Sharing a road with cars with no hearing and no rear visual awareness is stupid whether you know it or not. Congrats on surviving so far, it's partially luck you realize don't you? So congrats on being lucky!

Explain where I'm wrong? You use low volume? You turn around alot? You just assume all those cars behind you are behaving? I want to hear more about this awesome, god like riding skill. Please explain in greater detail how you can be clueless yet safe? Low traffic? Big dang shoulder you never leave? Bike path maybe?
Old 10-05-09, 06:51 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't believe chipcom would toss out gratuitous insults:
No, my insults don't include a gratuity. If you want a tip, give me better material to work with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.