Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr Circuit Board Repair

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Kickr Circuit Board Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 03:16 AM
berton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For all with the same problem, I think this is the one: www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/ ntd5867nl-d.pdf

Last edited by berton; 04-10-24 at 03:15 AM.
Likes For berton:
Old 04-24-24, 01:04 PM
fermar80bta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I have read your posts and I would like to know if you can advise me on the repair of a Kickr V5 card, the equipment establishes communication but there is no display of any variable (speed, cadence or power), the electrobrake does not activate in any way. moment
When checking the card, nothing out of the ordinary is observed, there are no short circuits, nor are there any damaged elements, so the problem may be in the processor.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
fmarquez80@hotmail.com
Old 04-30-24, 11:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,042 Times in 2,753 Posts
Originally Posted by berton
For all with the same problem, I think this is the one: www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/ntd5867nl-d.pdf
fixed your link. That looks like it would work
Old 07-15-24, 04:11 AM
BC2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KICKR repairs

I’m based in Sydney Australia and was reading this thread. I have a KICKR 18 that was working perfectly one day and turned into a brick the next. Same issues as described here, ie no power no cadence. Same (disappointing) response from Wahoo, no fix available, offer of 30% off a new one. Reconditioned unit program apparently no longer available to Aus customers. I am keen to find out if it can be fixed - looks like it is possible from this thread but I am not an engineer! Would anyone know if there is somewhere I could get it repaired in Australia?
Old 07-15-24, 01:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by BC2000
Would anyone know if there is somewhere I could get it repaired in Australia?
Rogers 2000 is in Australia. I suggest contacting him through his youtube channel. You can find his video earlier in the thread. I assumed you were related when I saw your username.
Old 09-02-24, 02:09 PM
maksim1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I hope someday to figure out how to reverse engineer the serial number in the firmware, but until that day I'm somewhat reluctant to share firmware.

I think I linked the people that repair boards somewhere in this thread, they have said they have firmware.
Hello, I still haven’t found anyone’s firmware, but my technician said that there is nothing difficult to change the serial number in the firmware, could you share the firmware or give contacts of people who have it? I've been repairing it for two years now((
Old 09-02-24, 04:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't think you are going to have success with someone else's firmware unless you get the same version. I would be really interested in knowing how to change serial numbers though
Old 09-15-24, 06:46 PM
joeykork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm working on a grungy Kickr V4 (2018) I bought at a thrift store. once I got it home and powered with a 12V/4A regulated adapter, it would pair in the Wahoo app and showed having the latest firmware but doesn't report any speed/power when spun. After teardown and benching, verified the sensor voltage is at the microcontroller and fluctuating with light/darkness, so ordered a new GEM2 module for replacement.

I don't have a Segger J-Link, but do have a cheap ST-Linkv2 clone (anodized dongle), so here's how I dumped the flash from windows with OpenOCD 0.12.0:

Spoiler

Used a hot air station to remove the old module and stitched the new one on with a fine tip iron.

flashing the new GEM2 is nearly the reverse:
Spoiler

After getting some blinkenlights, the app showed the old unit as connecting but it wouldn't solid. forgetting the device and a couple of power-cycles and re-pairing attempts were needed to get it reading again.

flashing a TV remote at the sensor showed some speed. Success?!

I covered the white sectors of the encoder in the flywheel with HVAC foil tape, just to be safe.

"dyno testing" on the bench is kinda weird.
I can't spin the drum by hand fast enough to get more than 1.5mph.
Once I got the belt reattached and somewhat tense, I could get above 5mph on it.
When its "cranked" every second or more, the cadence algorithm will provide a RPM & Watts reading, which also allowed the resistance settings to kick in. I then heard the FET whining and feel resistance in the flywheel. Wahoo!

Many thanks to unterhausen and rogers2000 for sharing their findings about the Kickr!

Last edited by joeykork; 09-18-24 at 10:37 PM. Reason: brain transplant successful
Old 09-15-24, 07:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

One thing I found was that the voltage the sensor swings in the stock configuration was lower than what I thought it should be. I put aluminum tape on the white parts of the code wheel and it increased the voltage. Hambini did this in his fix of the Snap.

The other thing i have that would have worked for reading/flashing is a stm nucleo board. They can be turned into a jlink, iirc. Something to consider if someone doesn't want to buy a jlink or a jlink clone.