Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wit's End with a Creaking Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wit's End with a Creaking Bottom Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 03:32 PM
vicyclist

Bikes: 1991 GT Tachyon, 1997 Trek 2300, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert, & 2017 Specialized Diverse Elite DSW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Yes, 9Nm for the steerer tube PLUG, that is the device inside the Steerer Tube.... 9Nm is NOT for the STEERER TUBE TOP CAP THAT SETS THE PRELOAD

Link to your bike here
Scroll down the page to Manual downloads and read the one for your FORK.... HERE

Then follow the instructions in the Doc to set the Preload correctly. Page 2, Tech Tips, #11

You've got the headset cranked so tight it's not a BB squeak, that's your frame & steerer crying for mercy !

Barry
Yeah, you're not reading what I wrote. I never said I was trying to torque the top cap bolt to 9Nm. I was trying to torque the stem plug bolt to 9Nm...as specified on the plug. The top cap bolt is just snugged up.
Likes For vicyclist:
Old 05-16-24, 04:46 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4584 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by vicyclist
Okay, well, I finally solved it and it turned out to be the very first thing I suspected: chainring bolts. I've removed, cleaned, and tightened those things to spec torque umpteen times with no change. I ran down the list of everything I've done with the mechanic at my bike shop and he kept coming back to the chainring bolts. Praxis specs them at 8-10Nm. He suggested tightening them *tight* by hand. So I torqued them to about 15Nm and the creak is gone. I guess on the positive end of this, my bike's had an overhaul and needed new BB bearings. Thanks, Everyone.
Where they greased?
Old 05-16-24, 04:52 PM
vicyclist

Bikes: 1991 GT Tachyon, 1997 Trek 2300, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert, & 2017 Specialized Diverse Elite DSW

Originally Posted by Kontact
Where they greased?
The chainring bolts? Or the mating surfaces between rings and spider? The bolts came from Praxis with Loctite on them, so I've reinstalled them with Loctite. I use anti-seize on the mating surfaces.
Old 05-16-24, 04:58 PM
Kontact

The chainring bolts? Or the mating surfaces between rings and spider? The bolts came from Praxis with Loctite on them, so I've reinstalled them with Loctite. I use anti-seize on the mating surfaces.
Even if they have the dried blue blob, I grease the threads.
Old 05-16-24, 05:05 PM
vicyclist

Even if they have the dried blue blob, I grease the threads.
I've always followed the old wisdom: Grease for things move and need to stay quiet, anti-seize for things that don't move and need to stay quiet, and Loctite to seal threads and hold them in place.
Old 05-16-24, 05:28 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
I'm glad you got it sorted out ! I just went through the same thing, the seeming drive-by creaks when you least expect it ! Having had this issue before, yep, chainring bolts had slightly loosened. I had used some Boeshild on the threads but next time I take it apart it will be some grease or anti-seize on the outer parts too. More better, more better ! May not be a moving part, but it's sheer metal on metal in a high load area.
Old 05-16-24, 05:34 PM
Torelli4

Bikes: 1995 Torelli Corsa Strada 2021 State 4130

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deleted

Last edited by Torelli4; 05-16-24 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Misread
Old 05-16-24, 05:42 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
If you can reproduce this noise on an indoor trainer. Maybe get someone else to listen while you ride, and vice versa. This would help you locate the source of the sound.

I found it truly maddening how hard it is to locate sounds on a bike while riding. In fact, it almost seems like wherever the sound seems to be coming from, you can be sure it isn't. Of course, there are the clues, like whether it is in sync with pedaling, or with wheel rotation. Coasting or pedaling, in or out of the saddle. But the OP seems to have covered all those bases.

Also, given how much attention you have given the BB, it would seem you should have solved the problem. Or at least stopped it temporarily. But since you've tried many things, and apparently none have even changed the sound, maybe time to start looking elsewhere.

My weirdest noise to track down was one that sync'ed to pedaling but was really due to a frame pump that was coming unscrewed internally. I guess the rocking of the bike while pedaling affected it.

Another thing I have often, is where the saddle rails enter the rear of the saddle. These points are meant to be fixed, but I often have them loosen up. The rail starts to move withing the plastic and makes noise. While applying lube makes it stop for a bit, it would come back. I took to cleaning the area really well, and then covering the whole area with JB Weld to glue the rail and keep it from moving at all. Crude, but effective.

Maybe the OP mentioned this somewhere, but you might try pulling out the seat post. Cleaning all that off and resetting it. I've had issues where apparently grit gets in there somewhere, and it starts to make creaking noise in sync with pedaling.
Old 05-16-24, 07:07 PM
Kontact

I've always followed the old wisdom: Grease for things move and need to stay quiet, anti-seize for things that don't move and need to stay quiet, and Loctite to seal threads and hold them in place.
I don't know how old that could be - bikes used only grease and oil until very recently.

Point being - your bolts wouldn't have made any noise in the first place had they been tightened with a lubricant to prevent the threads binding before they were at actual torque.

And anti-seize is an unnecessary mess for attaching aluminum to aluminum.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-16-24, 07:23 PM
vicyclist

I don't know how old that could be - bikes used only grease and oil until very recently.

Point being - your bolts wouldn't have made any noise in the first place had they been tightened with a lubricant to prevent the threads binding before they were at actual torque.

And anti-seize is an unnecessary mess for attaching aluminum to aluminum.
I've been cycling for almost fifty years, I've had plenty of bikes, and these Praxis chainrings are the first I've ever had creak on me, grease or not, when torqued to recommended spec and assembled (Loctite) per the manufacturer's instructions. Remember that Loctite, like grease, acts as a lubricant when threading parts together and is very good at filling voids in the threads. I've been using anti-seize anywhere I don't want galvanic corrosion to happen.
Old 05-16-24, 07:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 5,771 Times in 2,911 Posts
Since OP didn't need help with this after all, too bad he didn't wait another day before posting.
Old 05-16-24, 07:31 PM
Kontact

I've been cycling for almost fifty years, I've had plenty of bikes, and these Praxis chainrings are the first I've ever had creak on me, grease or not, when torqued to recommended spec and assembled (Loctite) per the manufacturer's instructions. Remember that Loctite, like grease, acts as a lubricant when threading parts together and is very good at filling voids in the threads. I've been using anti-seize anywhere I don't want galvanic corrosion to happen.
Most bolts with blue stuff on them is not loctite, it is that stuff that dries in the air and acts like a piece of chewing gum.

You can't get galvanic corrosion mounting aluminum rings on aluminum cranks. Galvanic corrosion on bikes happens almost exclusively where aluminum is bonded to screwed into Ti or carbon.

Do what you want, but I started working as a mechanic in 1990, and I'm trying to save you some mess and hassle. Grease is your best assembly tool.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-16-24, 07:33 PM
vicyclist

Most bolts with blue stuff on them is not loctite, it is that stuff that dries in the air and acts like a piece of chewing gum.

You can't get galvanic corrosion mounting aluminum rings on aluminum cranks. Galvanic corrosion on bikes happens almost exclusively where aluminum is bonded to screwed into Ti or carbon.

Do what you want, but I started working as a mechanic in 1990, and I'm trying to save you some mess and hassle. Grease is your best assembly tool.
Muchas gracias!
Old 05-16-24, 08:15 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
OP has already tried swapping pedals.
Sincere thank you, I missed that.
Old 05-16-24, 08:31 PM
Duragrouch

I agree with you on this. I prefer anti-seize for threads (over grease or oil) because a) it guards against galling better, especially stainless steel bolts, and b) the very fine metal particles in it, bring the coefficient of friction closer to dry, than grease, thus the threads hold better.

I'd use Loctite if needed, but it can make disassembly more difficult (even with the lower-strength "blue", so I try to make sure that I can heat the bolt or assembly if needed, that softens the Loctite. And by the way, the generic term for that is anaerboc thread-locking adhesive, meaning, it hardens/cures in the *absence* of air. Which is why parts can come from the factory with that blue stuff on the threads, which won't cure until the part is installed, the air is gone, it cures.
Old 05-16-24, 09:13 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I agree with you on this. I prefer anti-seize for threads (over grease or oil) because a) it guards against galling better, especially stainless steel bolts, and b) the very fine metal particles in it, bring the coefficient of friction closer to dry, than grease, thus the threads hold better.

I'd use Loctite if needed, but it can make disassembly more difficult (even with the lower-strength "blue", so I try to make sure that I can heat the bolt or assembly if needed, that softens the Loctite. And by the way, the generic term for that is anaerboc thread-locking adhesive, meaning, it hardens/cures in the *absence* of air. Which is why parts can come from the factory with that blue stuff on the threads, which won't cure until the part is installed, the air is gone, it cures.
The dry blue stuff that comes on things like thread bolts never cures - it is just there for traction.

When is the hold on properly installed and torqued bike parts ever an issue? Have you had greased stem bolts or seat binders come loose?
Old 05-16-24, 09:58 PM
Duragrouch

The dry blue stuff that comes on things like thread bolts never cures - it is just there for traction.

When is the hold on properly installed and torqued bike parts ever an issue? Have you had greased stem bolts or seat binders come loose?
Only twice; 1) A crank bolt on a tapered BB spindle, and the previous bolt and cartridge threads were galling dry. With grease, it was coming loose all the time, I had to check it before every ride. Anti-seize worked. Now if I recall correctly, that bolt was not that fine a thread pitch; I think finer would have been more resistant to loosening, but of course that thread size is a standard from way back, and I do like standards. Also, both bolts are right-hand and I think if I recall, this was always on the left crank arm, don't know if that matters as much as BB and pedal threads. 2) Stainless steel rack bolts galling in the steel braze-ons, and they did want to come loose when greased.

Interesting about the blue stuff. I'll research. I always thought it was thread adhesive based on the application and very similar blue color, but I never saw this mentioned anywhere, so I could be wrong. My new external BB bearings came with that stuff, but on a fine (BSA) thread, and if there is one part on a bike that is prone to seize up requiring massive torque to undo, it's a BB in a steel shell, so I put on anti-seize anyway as I always do with BBs, torqued to spec; Neither side has moved in over 2 years and 10k+ miles since installation. I hadn't realized until recently, the vulnerability of BBs to rain dripping down via the seat tube, and splashing up through the bottom vent/drain hole. Someone else mentioned this and I hadn't thought of it, though should have been obvious. So yeah, no dry threads there, especially on a 4130 steel frame.

Also, pedal spindles, as removing and replacing often for travel can lead to galling the aluminum crank threads, I think the anti-seize helps for longevity there. Yes, anti-seize is a mess, I wouldn't use it if I didn't think necessary.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-16-24 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-16-24, 10:33 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Only twice; 1) A crank bolt on a tapered BB spindle, and the previous bolt and cartridge threads were galling dry. With grease, it was coming loose all the time, I had to check it before every ride. Anti-seize worked. Now if I recall correctly, that bolt was not that fine a thread pitch; I think finer would have been more resistant to loosening, but of course that thread size is a standard from way back, and I do like standards. Also, both bolts are right-hand and I think if I recall, this was always on the left crank arm, don't know if that matters as much as BB and pedal threads. 2) Stainless steel rack bolts galling in the steel braze-ons, and they did want to come loose when greased.

Interesting about the blue stuff. I'll research. I always thought it was thread adhesive based on the application and very similar blue color, but I never saw this mentioned anywhere, so I could be wrong. My new external BB bearings came with that stuff, but on a fine (BSA) thread, and if there is one part on a bike that is prone to seize up requiring massive torque to undo, it's a BB in a steel shell, so I put on anti-seize anyway as I always do with BBs, torqued to spec; Neither side has moved in over 2 years and 10k+ miles since installation. I hadn't realized until recently, the vulnerability of BBs to rain dripping down via the seat tube, and splashing up through the bottom vent/drain hole. Someone else mentioned this and I hadn't thought of it, though should have been obvious. So yeah, no dry threads there, especially on a 4130 steel frame.

Also, pedal spindles, as removing and replacing often for travel can lead to galling the aluminum crank threads, I think the anti-seize helps for longevity there. Yes, anti-seize is a mess, I wouldn't use it if I didn't think necessary.
You can go on ebay and buy 60 year old aluminum cranks that show zero galling from decades steel pedal use. That is not an actual problem.

Your crank wasn't coming loose because the bolt was turning on its own. There is no force turning the bolt, unlike a bearing cup that is being turned by the ball bearings. Your crank arm probably had a poor fit to the spindle, causing it to wiggle enough to force the bolt loose. Tapered cranks, once seated, need very little bolt torque to be stable.

Stainless steel and titanium are about the only metal used in bikes that are known for galling. That is a good use of antiseize.

And the BB of a bike that has openings to the tubes should be vented. Otherwise the BB will drown in condensation from temperature changes, or the tubes will rust from standing water. The BB is the low point for the whole frame, so that's where the drain hole goes.
Old 05-16-24, 11:15 PM
Duragrouch

You can go on ebay and buy 60 year old aluminum cranks that show zero galling from decades steel pedal use. That is not an actual problem.

Your crank wasn't coming loose because the bolt was turning on its own. There is no force turning the bolt, unlike a bearing cup that is being turned by the ball bearings. Your crank arm probably had a poor fit to the spindle, causing it to wiggle enough to force the bolt loose. Tapered cranks, once seated, need very little bolt torque to be stable.

Stainless steel and titanium are about the only metal used in bikes that are known for galling. That is a good use of antiseize.

And the BB of a bike that has openings to the tubes should be vented. Otherwise the BB will drown in condensation from temperature changes, or the tubes will rust from standing water. The BB is the low point for the whole frame, so that's where the drain hole goes.
A agree with all above.

Perhaps galling was the wrong term for what I saw at pedals spindles when I frequently traveled with a bike, as those are two very different hardness materials. But pulling pedals on and off a lot, I started to see more aluminum particles on the spindles than I thought best. Maybe I was being overcautious.

If I air-travel with my current bike, the rack bolts will get a lot of on-and-off, to fit in a checkable size parcel(s). Besides anti-seize, perhaps I should replace them periodically to maintain smooth thread finish, they're cheap. But I haven't had a problem since using anti-seize.
Old 05-18-24, 10:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Check the front end. I had a "BB creak" that was a stem.
or the cleats on your shoes. Or the saddle rails. &etc. Noises like that can be hard to track down. Sometimes you need to swap in different parts to isolate the source.
Old 05-18-24, 10:30 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,084 Posts
Just posting this here for another thought. One of the local fathers around here had a squeak/creak on his sons aluminum BMX bike. He chased it for a few weeks then gave up and decided to switch out the frame to be safe. Latter he called me over to make an observation. He started pinging the stripped frame with a plastic mallet. Sure enough there was a noticeable Thunk right at the down tube to bottom bracket joint. There was absolutely no indication of cracks, bad welds, or damage inside or out, yet the sound was absolutely abnormal. We then went to the new frame and every thing sounded normal. He DX'ed the frame without remorse just to be safe. But really the frame appeared fully sound, except for the sound...
Old 05-18-24, 10:41 AM
vicyclist

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
or the cleats on your shoes. Or the saddle rails. &etc. Noises like that can be hard to track down. Sometimes you need to swap in different parts to isolate the source.
Like I said above, I was able to eliminate things like saddle/post, pedals, rear wheel, etc. by completely removing them from the equation. Everything else was serviced or replaced (like BB bearings). That's how I ended up stumped. As also noted in my follow-up, it turned out to be the chainring bolds, which was originally my first suspect. I'd disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled to factor spec several times with no change. It was finally the mechanic at my bike shop who suggested over-torquing them and that finally fixed the problem.
Likes For vicyclist:
Old 05-21-24, 12:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,495 Posts
I realize the OP has solved his problem, but I can say:

I have a lot of these creaking problems. The causes have varied. Sometimes it's a matter of removing the pedals and regreasing them more generously than I think is necessary. Then I tighten them more than I think is necessary.

One creak turned out to be my saddle, and I was unable to solve it, so I moved the saddle on.

One turned out to be caused by a little bead at the end of my rain jacket's drawstring, pinging against my top tube!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-21-24, 02:37 PM
MilhouseJ

Bikes: Probably too many...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I realize the OP has solved his problem, but I can say:

One turned out to be caused by a little bead at the end of my rain jacket's drawstring, pinging against my top tube!
Those are the worst! "I've got this noise, it only happens when it's raining, it isn't rhythmic, and it seems to be moving!"
Old 05-22-24, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 1,242 Posts
At least this spring, there's another solution similar to "Car Talk" advice: turn up the radio.

Can't stand the creaks in your bike? Go ride where there's a cicada outbreak. There'll be so much racket you won't hear your bike making noises.

Likes For pdlamb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.