Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just how far have C&V prices fallen?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just how far have C&V prices fallen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 04:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 6,519 Times in 3,740 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
There was a Moto Le Champion on CL for $150 with most of the original parts and it sold last year after a couple weeks. Then a Moto Grand Jubile with Campy derailleurs for $100 and that took MONTHS to sell. I would say the market is not so good - terrible. I recently sold my cherry all original 1977 Raleigh Competition GS for $400 on the bay (13.3% fee- my net $342) and it took a couple of months. I am selling as well . I sold a 1982 Medici in excellent original condition with matching pump , panto stem and bars , Super Record Components last year for 750 , I don't think it would sell for that now. I am selling my mostly original 1973 Mondia in really good shape and it is crickets out there. I really don't mind donating the frames and selling the parts but I will try to sell complete for now. Do not be in a hurry just ask what you feel it can bring or give them away. It is tough because I really like these bikes but if there is no interest .........
And therein lies the rub.

Some/many in this spend with the expectation of recouping their investment (spend) and plenty have made $$$ doing it.

This however is one of the few hobbies where that seems to be the rationale going in.

I spent $1000's drag racing and actually did make some back, the first 10 years was fairly successful.

Many I raced with spent $10,000's and much more with even less return, I was able to do it because of the lesser spending for what it could cost.

I have never expected to make anything back on my bikes, pure outlay, satisfaction, experience and a modicum of fitness being the actual return.

POA and the shared commiserating is a more than reasonable ask IMO.

I feel I have been pretty successful in both these endeavors and that's the true goal, again IMO.

They were/are both a bargain at the end of the day.
Old 05-21-24, 04:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by genejockey
Good thing I never tried to pretend this old bike stuff was an investment. So, once again - "How do you make a small fortune buying and selling vintage bikes? Start with a large fortune."
Ezactly
Old 05-21-24, 04:30 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
These things become more glaring in a downturn, a challenge in good times becomes a deal breaker in tough times.

The sew ups are a good example, once worth plenty to the cognoscenti, now a scourge to most so they become a negative value wise.
Although I do not run tubular tires (maybe I should try a set sometime), I would much rather see the original tubular wheelset on this Motobecane rather than the generic looking wheelset with black spokes which is on there now- It looks very much out of place.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-21-24, 05:32 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 3,740 Times in 1,493 Posts
Yesterday I was buying, and was so excited at the smokin' deals I got

Today I'm selling, and I'm so bummed about the terrible prices I'm getting

Old 05-21-24, 05:34 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Although I do not run tubular tires (maybe I should try a set sometime), I would much rather see the original tubular wheelset on this Motobecane rather than the generic looking wheelset with black spokes which is on there now- It looks very much out of place.
Oh, I agree and while I have never subjected myself to them, they should be a big plus here but the average CL/efbay cretin likely has no appreciation for them whatsoever.

Likes For merziac:
Old 05-21-24, 05:57 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 114 Posts
I dropped the price on the Centurion to $300. I can always donate the Trek to the Bike Recyclery in San Rafael in a couple of weeks if no one else is interested. I can’t argue with the “once were buyers, now are sellers” perspective. Low demand and higher supply. I just imagined that these might get a little attention, but it seems not to be…
Old 05-21-24, 06:05 PM
friendofpugs

Bikes: Trek Farley, Giant Trance X, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Prices for C&V are way down here in Wisconsin, and the bikes still sit for awhile. IMO, road bike demand has drifted to newer offerings - aluminum and brifters, if not cheaper 1x and disc brake equipped bikes for not much more money. I think demand for rim brake bikes overall is down and will continue to slide. As a full-time Ebay C&V seller, my sales last year for parts, wheels, and frames were down 46% from the year prior. I recently listed a bunch of newer used MTB parts for sale and most of it sold already, much to my surprise. People are buying bike stuff, just not C&V bike stuff.
For sellers, pricing and patience is the key - either "fire sale" it to move quickly or be prepared to wait. And wait.
For buyers, don't be afraid to negotiate - you can score some great rides for not much money.
Likes For friendofpugs:
Old 05-21-24, 07:33 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 72 Posts
I was a flipper and made good money at it. I got out seven years ago as the market was going soft. I now find someone who wants a good bike and give them away. I just bought a set of tires so i can give a young friend a good safe bike. Once i got over I had to make money selling bikes it became fun again working on vintage bikes and ging them away.
EddyR
Old 05-21-24, 07:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked 2,723 Times in 1,266 Posts
The museum swap is coming up...
Got no booth, but got an item you want to sell? We invite you to our Community Booth. Sellers can hang out and offer their wares and if the item sells, donate 10% of proceeds to support the museum.
https://mmbhof.org/shop/event-ticket...y-cycles-swap/
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-21-24, 08:14 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 114 Posts
That’s a good idea! Thanks!
Likes For orcas island:
Old 05-21-24, 08:18 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
...I don't want to get this moved to P+R, but one of the reasons I started riding bikes everywhere around town was the climate change issue. The whole reduce and re-use ethic, coupled with the obvious zero emissions. I do not honestly understand how the whole bicycle marketplace could have moved into a position of buying and making new stuff, in preference to reusing and repairing old stuff. I am genuinely baffled by this shift.

Not here to argue this point, as too political. But yes, I have a difficult time understanding why something like classic steel bicycles, which are relatively easy to maintain and repair, can go along pretty quickly as a means of personal transit, and will pretty much last forever, have lost the battle for market share. I really thought the cycling community, as a whole, had more appreciation for history than this. But what is is what is. I've started giving stuff away recently. Not sure how much chance free stuff has to not go out into the world and get trashed. But some of it will probably do OK.
Old 05-21-24, 09:18 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,304 Posts
As merziac says , I did get most of my bikes fairly cheap compared to the level of enjoyment. I have one bike that I have some $$ in and I’m not in any way interested in selling that bike. The two that I have sold both sold for more than I paid up front for the bikes. I thought when I bought them that I got a killer deal. Turns out I will probably get my money out and maybe a little more. This does not take into account any work or repair I have done , including consumables. Am I sorry I bought them ? No way !
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-21-24, 10:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 799 Posts
Aside from the post-pandemic drop, I'm thinking that people who are nostalgic for 70s and 80s "classic" bikes are now aging out of the market. As a demographic, they're (we're) at best plateauing in our acquisitions at worst, downsizing. Compared to boomers, I'd wager that all other demographics have much less interest in C&V and maybe less money to throw around.
Old 05-21-24, 10:32 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Camilo
Aside from the post-pandemic drop, I'm thinking that people who are nostalgic for 70s and 80s "classic" bikes are now aging out of the market. As a demographic, they're (we're) at best plateauing in our acquisitions at worst, downsizing. Compared to boomers, I'd wager that all other demographics have much less interest in C&V and maybe less money to throw around.
Yep, all this too.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-21-24, 10:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10591 Post(s)
Liked 12,201 Times in 6,251 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The same thing has been happening in vintage American watches - Boomers, the last generation to have grown up wearing mechanical watches are aging out of collecting age and into dispersal age, and there aren't many buyers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 05-22-24 at 05:12 AM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-21-24, 11:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,599 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
Good suggestions. The LeChampion also comes with the original Campy wheelset/tubulars, but needs tires replaced if someone wants to ride sew-ups.
I can drop the price on the Centurion. There are a lot of scratches on this one, but no dents on any of them.
good thing it is too small for me

Old 05-22-24, 04:59 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
orcas island I sent you a PM.
Old 05-22-24, 06:58 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 160 Posts
As we enter the good weather months for riding I expected an uptick in C&V bike listings in my area. A few here and there, but for the most part it’s the same bikes that have been listed for 6+ months. The only ones that disappear quickly are very low priced bikes. It seems even the flippers with entry level mountain bikes are having a rough time.

This week I thought I’d reduce my bike inventory and listed 6. I had one that sold right away and it was one that I thought for sure I’d be “stuck” with. I sold a 74 Schwinn to a real nice fella that was probably 20 years younger than me and only lost a little bit. I knew it was going to have to sell for less than I had into it, but was surprised I got as much as I did. No interest in the other 5 yet. I get the feeling that at this point in time in the market that replaced consumables add little to no value. But may make the difference on whether a bike sells or not.

I have almost no experience in selling a C&V bike but I’m learning.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 05-22-24, 07:21 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 3,349 Times in 2,099 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
As we enter the good weather months for riding I expected an uptick in C&V bike listings in my area. A few here and there, but for the most part it’s the same bikes that have been listed for 6+ months. The only ones that disappear quickly are very low priced bikes. It seems even the flippers with entry level mountain bikes are having a rough time.

This week I thought I’d reduce my bike inventory and listed 6. I had one that sold right away and it was one that I thought for sure I’d be “stuck” with. I sold a 74 Schwinn to a real nice fella that was probably 20 years younger than me and only lost a little bit. I knew it was going to have to sell for less than I had into it, but was surprised I got as much as I did. No interest in the other 5 yet. I get the feeling that at this point in time in the market that replaced consumables add little to no value. But may make the difference on whether a bike sells or not.

I have almost no experience in selling a C&V bike but I’m learning.
If you aren’t following a business model (and I certainly am not...), I just look at it as dead money mostly. Anything I get replenishes my fundage. Plus it’s gone and rehomed in a better place.

i have made money on like 8% of my sales over the years...and I might be estimating high.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-22-24, 07:29 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 513 Posts
If you have the time and patience for eBay, I bet you could get asking price for the Trek frameset alone.

I agree with others that the market for 70s/80s road bikes is aging out. I don’t bother trying to flip that stuff anymore unless it’s something really special, but I’ll put a run of the mill 90s steel MTB frame on eBay and net a couple hundred bucks.
Old 05-22-24, 07:32 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Yesterday I was buying, and was so excited at the smokin' deals I got

Today I'm selling, and I'm so bummed about the terrible prices I'm getting
I see what you did there.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 05-22-24, 07:33 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 909 Times in 345 Posts
The market for high-end, well-preserved bikes is still there, but mid-market and down has softened quite a bit. I don't get too worried about it because as a mid-level and down hobbyist, I was never making much money even when the market was good. And whatever little ahead I ever came out, I just cycled back into the hobby (more bikes or parts) to keep rolling. I get more enjoyment out of it than money. I am more worried about the possible end of production of certain tires, grips, and other consumables I need to keep at it.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 05-22-24, 08:04 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I have tubulars on the majority of my road bikes and love it. The interesting thing is the ones I see for sale - especially as a wheelset - the seller seems to think they are worth more than the market is bearing at the time and they just seem to languish, sort of like the C&V bikes. I was fortunate to have over a dozen built sew up rims given to me years back.

Last edited by scozim; 05-22-24 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-22-24, 08:24 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,304 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The market for high-end, well-preserved bikes is still there, but mid-market and down has softened quite a bit. I don't get too worried about it because as a mid-level and down hobbyist, I was never making much money even when the market was good. And whatever little ahead I ever came out, I just cycled back into the hobby (more bikes or parts) to keep rolling. I get more enjoyment out of it than money. I am more worried about the possible end of production of certain tires, grips, and other consumables I need to keep at it.
I think the higher end bikes have suffered as well. They don't command the prices they did a few tears ago and it takes much longer to move them along. I am glad I don't have to sell my Colnago right now. All but one of my bikes are mid to upper tier bikes ( not high end) all Campagnolo '70's machines that I have bought low and fixed up . Like you , I get enjoyment from them and downsizing now is hard but I don't worry about the $$ as much as finding someone who appreciates them.I got a text last night from the person who bought my Raleigh Competition GS ( mid tier Campy )and he is very excited so that made it great!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-22-24, 08:41 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 909 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I think the higher end bikes have suffered as well. They don't command the prices they did a few tears ago and it takes much longer to move them along. I am glad I don't have to sell my Colnago right now. All but one of my bikes are mid to upper tier bikes ( not high end) all Campagnolo '70's machines that I have bought low and fixed up . Like you , I get enjoyment from them and downsizing now is hard but I don't worry about the $$ as much as finding someone who appreciates them.I got a text last night from the person who bought my Raleigh Competition GS ( mid tier Campy )and he is very excited so that made it great!
I would have thought that, but a Schwinn Aerocycle just sold for $30,000 recently, and a tail light for one just went for about $4k just for the tail light. Certain stuff is recession-proof it seems.
Likes For SirMike1983:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.