Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me again that tubeless is stupid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell me again that tubeless is stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 03:09 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
I have to admit I was a little doubtful about the benefits on a road bike, but no longer. I've now completely worn out a rear tyre without getting a single flat. Admittedly, I was a little disappointed that the tyre (Vittoria Corsa N.Ext) only did 3000 miles - I've gone for GP5000 All Season this time which, I hope, will last slightly longer. I got a comparable performance from a pair of Aramdillos, but they were hard work by comparison.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 05-13-24, 03:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,145 Times in 3,179 Posts
I’ve been running tubeless road tyres since 2020 and only had a single roadside flat, which I sealed with a Dynaplug (2x actually as it was a wide cut). Every other puncture has self-sealed without me noticing on the road. I had one puncture that lost a significant amount of pressure, so I sealed it with a Dynaplug post ride and it was fine for the rest of it’s life.

I think tubeless does work best on wider tyres at relatively low pressure. Certainly no problem sealing on 30 mm tyres at 60-70 psi. Even better on 32 mm at <60 psi. Punctures at low pressure are less dramatic and usually seal without significant pressure loss.

The only minor downside to tubeless is maintaining the sealant, but it’s not a big deal. When I’m lazy I ride with dried sealant, which is still better than a tube as you can still Dynaplug any flats. I’ve done this many times with mtb tyres, especially on UST rims without any sealant. This reminds me that I should really check the sealant on my road bike as I haven’t topped it up since last Autumn.
Old 05-13-24, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18580 Post(s)
Liked 16,052 Times in 7,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps one could construct a scenario where that would occur however the confluence of factors causing this to happen would be very rare. A testament to the viability of current tubeless setups is effectively every category of performance cycling has switched to tubeless.
How rare, professor? I’ve faced the scenario at least twice that I can remember.

BTW…I’ve been running road tubeless for maybe 10 years or more and like the feel. But as noted above, I agree there can be fewer problems with lower pressure setups.
Old 05-13-24, 05:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 775 Posts
I was an EXTREME skeptic about tubeless. Then for some reason unknown to me I bought a rear Mavic UST. Five years later on five road bikes and zero flats. So my opinion was untested theory and once tested became an experience. I like my experience.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-13-24, 05:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7142 Post(s)
Liked 11,319 Times in 4,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I can't remember when I've read or heard anyone say that tubeless "sucks" on those type of tires.
You must be new around here.
Old 05-13-24, 06:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This story is proof that tubeless IS stupid. If you had been riding Gatorskins with tubes, slime and Mr. Tuffy liners you would have outsprinted the field and won the race. Learn from your mistakes, pal.
+1 Mr. Tuffy!
Old 05-13-24, 06:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,535 Posts
This story is proof that tubeless IS stupid. If you had been riding Gatorskins with tubes, slime and Mr. Tuffy liners you would have outsprinted the field and won the race. Learn from your mistakes, pal.
OP probably doesn't have any tire savers installed either. He'd be unstoppable with a pair of those.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-13-24, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,925 Posts
Since I've gone to 38s(!!!) on the road, tubeless is a no-brainer. Good to hear it's working with more traditional road widths.
Old 05-13-24, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7142 Post(s)
Liked 11,319 Times in 4,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
fify ;-)
And that's the level of most tubeless criticism here on bf: poking uninformed fun at something that you (and no one I've ever met) have even tried, but that some riders apparently find useful for their riding conditions.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-13-24, 07:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,860 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sealant works in inner tubes, too.
I tried it.

Once.

Absolute fail.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-13-24, 07:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
It seems more a testimonial for sealant than for tubeless. You can use sealant in tubes, you know.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-13-24, 07:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Have you tried it?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-13-24, 08:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,145 Times in 3,179 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It seems more a testimonial for sealant than for tubeless. You can use sealant in tubes, you know.
Sealant is more effective when tubeless since there is no ultra-thin walled tube to seal. Dynaplugs wouldn't work either with a tube.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-13-24, 08:40 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I tried it.

Once.

Absolute fail.
Sealant in tubes was a fail for me as well. Tubeless has been wonderful, but I only have used it on mountain bikes. I suspect I will eventually wind up using tubeless on the road, but in recent times I have been riding very little pavement. I would be likely to go tubeless if setting up a bike for another coast to coast tour or something like that and if I was choosing new wheels.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-13-24, 09:02 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
You will have to pry the tubes from my cold dead hands!
Old 05-13-24, 09:04 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 1,116 Times in 427 Posts
Another satisfied tubeless road user here. I'm running GP5k TRs in 28/30 on a couple different bikes, no issues whatsoever so far in the 9 months I've been running them. I've been running tubeless for years before on my MTBs, similar success there.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-13-24, 09:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,535 Posts
I'm guessing the OP means that tubeless is stupid good, or stupid easy? Does that mean it's bombproof?
Old 05-13-24, 09:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Dynaplugs wouldn't work either with a tube.
Sure, but the OP's anecdote states that he couldn't find the puncture site to plug that way.
Old 05-13-24, 09:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 6,034 Times in 3,082 Posts
One flat with tubeless in 4 years with GP 5Ks due to sidewall cut. Did pick up a nail once, but was able to ride it home, plug it and rode it another 2K. Ain’t never going back, no ways, no hows. <-OK grammar police, you can feast on that one. 😊

Congrats Koyote on doing it. Good ride!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-13-24, 10:21 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rsbob
One flat with tubeless in 4 years with GP 5Ks due to sidewall cut. Did pick up a nail once, but was able to ride it home, plug it and rode it another 2K. Ain’t never going back, no ways, no hows. <-OK grammar police, you can feast on that one. 😊

Congrats Koyote on doing it. Good ride!
Yeah, I kind of suspect that brag was the real point of the thread, but it is a well-deserved, hard-earned bragging right. Congrats!

(I made the mistake of doing the sealant in tubes experiment on my wife's bike. She was not amused. It was almost certainly a pinch flat, BTW.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-13-24, 10:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Sealant in tubes was a fail for me as well. Tubeless has been wonderful, but I only have used it on mountain bikes. I suspect I will eventually wind up using tubeless on the road, but in recent times I have been riding very little pavement. I would be likely to go tubeless if setting up a bike for another coast to coast tour or something like that and if I was choosing new wheels.
I really was hoping it would work, but I had what was almost a controlled experiment. Both my wife and I were finishing what was a very rough gravel ride, and we hit a washboard going rather fast. I had the same tires (RH 38mm Barlow EL). Mine were tubeless, hers had tubes with a lot (probably 80 ml) of the same Orange Seal endurance. The one bit of good luck was it was the end of the ride.
Old 05-13-24, 10:34 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 1,008 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I tried it.

Once.

Absolute fail.
Sounds exactly like my tubeless experience. 48mm Rene Herse Barlow Pass tires on Velocity A23 rims simply would not seat, no matter what we tried, including a compressor, and the strap-around-the-circumference trick. Did not buy and try an Airshot or similar bottle inflator, because l can't take one with me on my unsupported rides, now, can I?

OTOH, I've used sealant in half a dozen tubes, with results similar to those reported here with tubeless. When I finally replaced one tire which I'd run with sealant in the tube for about a year, I found about a dozen places where the sealant had done its job. Those were Schraeder valves, so I didn't even to leave them in a draining-down valve stem orientation. I've even used sealant in sew-ups, and it worked there, too.

I have read that sealant won't work in TPU tubes, but I'll bet somebody will soon invent some that does...
Old 05-13-24, 10:36 AM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Years of experience riding tubeless on mountain bikes - wide large volume tires. Very few flats.

Did an experiment on 28mm road tires last year. Dramatic reduction in flats, as in No Flats! Relaced two other bike wheels withtubeless rims and converted all to tubeless. Never going back to the dark side. No flats on any of them so far with tubeless. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-13-24, 10:55 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked 1,389 Times in 705 Posts
How rare, professor? I’ve faced the scenario at least twice that I can remember.

BTW…I’ve been running road tubeless for maybe 10 years or more and like the feel. However, as noted above, I agree there can be fewer problems with lower pressure setups.
Nice!

So, with a current setup, you had a leak that could not be fixed with a plug, and the tube would not fit in the tire? I can even imagine a scenario where this would occur. That aside to each their own and enjoy.
Old 05-13-24, 11:11 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 1,008 Times in 477 Posts
tubeless w/pool noodles

Originally Posted by Koyote
And that's the level of most tubeless criticism here on bf: poking uninformed fun at something that you (and no one I've ever met) have even tried, but that some riders apparently find useful for their riding conditions.
Glad it was fun; I thought it was a good one!

It was informed fun, however - the uninformed wouldn't even get the joke. No photographs exist of Eddy Merckx standing beside the road, holding his broken bicycle with a pool noodle protruding from the wheel. Of course, pool noodles hadn't even been invented then, and we can all be certain that Mr. Merckx would have ridden pool noodles if he'd had them, right?

It's true that I haven't tried pool noodles.

For the record, I believe people who say tubeless works well for them.

But let's have some fun! Blue pool noodles are dorky, but red pool noodles are the bee's knees, and faster, too!

Got pool noodles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.