Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT or Masi Special Giromondo

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly LHT or Masi Special Giromondo

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 11:37 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I had a 2008 56 cm Surly LHT w 700c wheels. Slight toe overlap w fenders. It was a do everything bike but the nature of its slow speed handling started to bug me. Especially heavily loaded and maneuvering in tight spaces. Then I got a CrossCheck and later a 26” wheel LHT in the same size. The handling on the 26” LHT was so much better. Where the 700c version felt like a Greyhound bus the 26” version felt like an F250 w independent suspension. With the 700c LHT I’d overshoot slow tight turns going up and down tight ramps where a bike route crossed freeway entrances. I wonder if the new DiscTrucker change in geometry was to address that.

Anyway I wouldn’t pick either without a test ride. Btw the LHT has a normal toptube length more suited to drop bars although I have Jones bars on my 26” wheel LHT.
Old 05-13-24, 12:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I had a 2008 56 cm Surly LHT w 700c wheels. Slight toe overlap w fenders. It was a do everything bike but the nature of its slow speed handling started to bug me. Especially heavily loaded and maneuvering in tight spaces. Then I got a CrossCheck and later a 26” wheel LHT in the same size. The handling on the 26” LHT was so much better. Where the 700c version felt like a Greyhound bus the 26” version felt like an F250 w independent suspension. With the 700c LHT I’d overshoot slow tight turns going up and down tight ramps where a bike route crossed freeway entrances. I wonder if the new DiscTrucker change in geometry was to address that.

Anyway I wouldn’t pick either without a test ride. Btw the LHT has a normal toptube length more suited to drop bars although I have Jones bars on my 26” wheel LHT.
I love my Surly LHT with 26 inch rims. As you said, the handling is much nicer with the smaller wheels. No overlap issues as well.
Old 05-13-24, 01:09 PM
LeeG

Originally Posted by phughes
I love my Surly LHT with 26 inch rims. As you said, the handling is much nicer with the smaller wheels. No overlap issues as well.

It’s not a fatal flaw for a touring bike where 98% of your riding is a straight line and the high speed handling wasn’t affected but for getting around town with a heavy load it was really wrong, besides the toe overlap w fenders. I still remember this particular ramp and turn where I went off the path. All this under 5mph riding. Next time on the turn it was obvious the front and rear wheel were not in synch. Kind of like the front wheel would push out and just couldn’t lead the rear wheel. All this on concrete. Once I got the 26” wheel version as I was looking at a more utility bike application it was like night and day. Not so much quicker handling although it had that but it was precise. I could pick slow speed lines with ease and a very heavy load. With the 700c version things felt a bit more like a big swinging crane. “Ohhh damn”. I wondered whether the 700c LHT in other sizes had this slow speed handling characteristic.

Last edited by LeeG; 05-13-24 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-13-24, 01:13 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by LeeG
It’s not a fatal flaw for a touring bike where 98% of your riding is a straight line and the high speed handling wasn’t affected but for getting around town with a heavy load it was really wrong, besides the toe overlap w fenders. I still remember this particular ramp and turn where I went off the path. All this under 5mph riding. Next time on the turn it was obvious the front and rear wheel were not in synch. Kind of like the front wheel would push out and just couldn’t lead the rear wheel. All this on concrete. Once I got the 26” wheel version as I was looking at a more utility bike application it was like night and day. Not so much quicker handling although it had that but it was precise. I could pick slow speed lines with ease and a very heavy load. I wondered whether the 700c LHT in other sizes had this slow speed handling characteristic.
Never called it a flaw. I simply prefer the smaller wheels and quicker handling. It has been a better all around bike for me. Nothing wrong with the 700s on the LHT, but I prefer the 26s.
Old 05-13-24, 03:42 PM
LeeG

Never called it a flaw. I simply prefer the smaller wheels and quicker handling. It has been a better all around bike for me. Nothing wrong with the 700s on the LHT, but I prefer the 26s.
For me in my application it was a bit of a flaw. Between the toe overlap and low speed awkwardness it wasn’t fun in stop and go situations.

Last edited by LeeG; 05-13-24 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 09:43 AM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 200 Posts
And to illustrate the subjective nature of these things, what you and LeeG say is true but I ended up preferring the 700c wheels simply because it's more what I was accustomed to. Below is the 26" tank.

Likes For robow:
Old 05-14-24, 12:04 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by robow
And to illustrate the subjective nature of these things, what you and LeeG say is true but I ended up preferring the 700c wheels simply because it's more what I was accustomed to. Below is the 26" tank.

Yep, that's why I said the 700c model isn't flawed. They are just different, and the feel of a 700c wheel is different. It's a good feeling though, they roll nicely. I like them both, but prefer the 26 inch wheels on the LHT. It's all about personal preference.