Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 09:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 799 Posts
Maybe you just haven't found someone suitable to ride with you. You know, one other person to get you started, and then working your way up to a larger group.
I think I know just the guy for you. Where's LarrySellerz?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-18-24, 09:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3926 Post(s)
Liked 4,920 Times in 2,269 Posts
Cycling's many participants do so for various reasons.
Social connections motivate many.
Group camaraderie or competitiveness can be a strong motivator.
Some people can't change a flat tire, appreciate group efforts.
Is there safety in numbers? Maybe for some.

Groups start too early.
Old 05-18-24, 09:44 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Nothing wrong with riding alone. Nothing wrong with riding with groups.

I like to trail ride at or even before daybreak. I go rain or shine, hot or cold. I actually like bad weather. I tend to like long solo efforts in things I do whether riding or other pursuits. That lends itself to solitary time.

That said it can be fun to ride with others. It is especially fun to ride on the road or gravel with folks that are compatible enough that drafting allows overall speed to be enhanced for everyone. Even on the trails that can be fun on the less technical sections. That can be for racing or just fun riding.

Find the kind of riding you enjoy and do it with or without others as makes the most sense for you.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-18-24, 09:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Groups start too early.
This is my biggest problem with local group rides!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-18-24, 10:00 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,030 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Those groups actually inhabit the roadways and MUPs looking for unsuspecting single riders. When they encounter one, they overtake the rider and give them the Cinzano treatment. It's painful a hoot to watch. It's like something out of a Mad Max movie.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-18-24, 10:46 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 205 Posts
Large groups on MUPs?
Old 05-18-24, 10:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,979 Posts
Group/riding with someone imo isn't for everyone. Unfortunately, it's tougher for a solo rider to be viewed as someone who is "approachable" or hasn't an attitude.

Just for perspective sakes, if one person from the group does something off-putting, illegal, offensive, not acceptable etc then the whole group is labeled.
Additionally, riding in a group tends to have rules, expectations, & other nuances that isn't for everyone either.
if group riding is not really of interest, it might just be better to not participate as the risks might not be worth the reward.

YMMV
Old 05-18-24, 11:03 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Some people can't change a flat tire, appreciate group efforts.
Is there safety in numbers?
Groups start too early.
imo, if a flat is too complicated for someone to address, it might be best to ride with a partner that can & is willing to help vs holding up someone from a group to hold back to give assistance.
while I am aware that some groups start early, it's not as common as it once was.
The locals that have an issue with cyclists seem to ride during traffic hour, which is understandable with the frustration. Don't need to add congestion to the already problematic orange barrel season
Old 05-18-24, 11:16 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 517 Posts
Riding in groups requires that schedules be coordinated.

It also means waiting or being waited for.

When someone has a mechanical problem, it’s the whole group’s problem.

Just being in the group can be cause for crashes. Which again is something the whole group will have to deal with.

Riding in a group means meeting somewhere, rarely will the group decide to meet at your house.

It’s all good and it’s honestly not that big of a deal. I like riding with friends but that’s like 10-15% of my rides. If I just want to get out and back at a certain time with minimal hassle, alone is key.

Nothing angry about it.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-18-24, 11:16 AM
Thommy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I feel the same way. Sometimes you can't find someone that you really mesh with for rides. I'm getting back on my bike after a year off healing. I had both knees replaced. Problem is here in the South East (Mass) it rains all the f-ing time so my only hope is to get in a day here and a day there. I won't be deterred! Or "the-turd".
Old 05-18-24, 12:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked 11,271 Times in 4,812 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Misapplication of the word anger as I don’t feel angry towards them. I find these large packs incomprehensible and surprising would be a better turn of phrase.
Have you ever tried riding with a group?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-24, 12:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,965 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
No, but I have read about it on the interweb and it sounds sucky like fun.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-24, 12:34 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Large groups on MUPs?
Yes, large groups of MAMILs with PED enhanced FTPs trying to set KOMs on MUPs riding their fancy UCI approved BSOs. WTF?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-18-24, 12:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked 11,271 Times in 4,812 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
yes, large groups of mamils with ped enhanced ftps trying to set koms on mups riding their fancy uci approved bsos. Wtf?
gtfoh!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-24, 12:40 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Thommy
I feel the same way. Sometimes you can't find someone that you really mesh with for rides.
My wife would divorce me if she found out I was meshing with other riders.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-18-24, 01:01 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My wife would divorce me if she found out I was meshing with other riders.
I'm in enough trouble riding by myself.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-18-24, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11063 Post(s)
Liked 7,624 Times in 4,252 Posts
I rode alone today. I felt tired, winded, happy, and curious. I never felt angry.

If someone doesn't want to ride in a group because it seems stressful, then cool- ride alone.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-18-24, 01:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Needs a bike. It will allegedly be revealed in 14 days!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-18-24, 02:44 PM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Freedom, solitude and achieving goals through self-discipline don't mesh well with group dynamics. I want to take a turn when I want, go the speed I want and hop onto a sidewalk if I think it's safer. Can you imagine Rocky in a group training run with Eye of the Tiger blasting? How about Batman achieving the fortitude in group sessions to escape The Pit or Luke Skywalker in daily Force Strengthening classes? Nope Nope and Nope.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-18-24, 03:03 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
I used to ride with a pretty hard core group when I lived in Charleston South Carolina. I looked forward to those rides. The social interaction was fun and healthy. I'm not an extrovert but I'm not an introvert either. Group rides aren't for everyone.

The main thing that I took away from those rides is the whole dynamic of cycling was different. You had to be on-guard and focused every second. We rode very close together and rotated the traditional way. One day-dream and somebody would lock wheels. I witnessed one really bad fall due to that. The guy was ok but had a chunk of helmet missing and a light concussion.

I also love my solo rides, which is what I primarily do now.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-18-24, 03:17 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
Just ride. If you want to join a club or a group ride do it. If you want to try riding in a group competitively there are races nearby. Many people will do all three, since training almost always requires riding alone. While competing is easier with more people, unless you just do it based on time. Being angry has to do with your mental state, or physical state. Address those issues or what causes you to be angry(staying on the wrong websites, only getting negative news, bad vibes). Seems like an inflammatory topic/op, but maybe it was done in good faith, so I hope you can enjoy your ride.
Old 05-18-24, 03:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 702 Posts
Thought this would be a good question for AI

Enjoying cycling in a group environment offers numerous advantages compared to doing it alone:

1. **Social Interaction**: Engaging in cycling with others provides opportunities to build friendships and strengthen social bonds.

2. **Motivation and Encouragement**: Group members can encourage each other, providing motivation to push harder and stay committed.

3. **Accountability**: Being part of a group can help maintain consistency and adherence to the sport, as members hold each other accountable.

4. **Team Spirit**: Riding as a group fosters a sense of camaraderie and teamwork, which can enhance the overall experience and enjoyment of the sport.

5. **Skill Improvement**: Group settings allow for sharing of techniques and tips, leading to mutual skill enhancement and learning from one another.

6. **Competition**: Friendly competition within a group can improve performance and make the activity more exciting and engaging.

7. **Safety**: Participating with others can enhance safety, as there are people available to help in case of an injury or emergency.

8. **Variety**: Group sports often involve a variety of roles and strategies, adding diversity and complexity to the activity compared to solo participation.

9. **Mental Health Benefits**: Social interaction and support from group members can help reduce stress, anxiety, and feelings of isolation.

10. **Fun and Enjoyment**: Group dynamics often add an element of fun and laughter, making the sporting experience more enjoyable.

11. **Learning Opportunities**: Observing and interacting with others can provide new insights and approaches to the sport that one might not encounter when practicing alone.

12. **Shared Goals**: Working towards common goals, such as improving as a group, can be fulfilling and foster a sense of achievement.

13. **Networking**: Group sports can expand one's social network, providing opportunities for personal and professional connections.

14. **Adaptability**: Cycling with others requires adapting to different playing styles and strategies, enhancing one's versatility in the sport.

15. **Community Building**: Cycling as a group sports can contribute to a sense of belonging and community, creating lasting bonds beyond the sporting activity itself.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-18-24 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-18-24, 03:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 205 Posts
I’m usually a hangry loner. 😎
Old 05-18-24, 03:49 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 387 Posts
Almost all my rides are solo, because I haven't found a group that rides at a speed I can sustain. Twice a year or so I join a group that is really too slow for me, and they take breaks too frequently and for too long. I generally ride half the planned route with them and then make my way back home on my own.
Forty+ years ago, though, I found a group that kept going just a little faster than I was comfortable at; that helped me keep getting faster, which was a goal of mine. The breaks were the right length and at the right time. The group was very welcoming. The conversation was great. They rode every Sunday, and I was with them on most of those Sundays. I rode alone on other days, so I got the best of both.
Riding with a group can be a lot of fun - if you find the right group. You won't find it if you don't look.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-18-24, 04:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 799 Posts
Group rides can be fun if everyone is reasonably within the same fitness level so you can stick together. If I'm too slow, it ends up being a solo ride anyway so I don't bother making the effort to join them. If I'm too "fast" (hah!), I chalk it down to a leisurely social ride.

But if the road is good (not a bike path), and group of similar riders who know WTF they're doing and there's no idiocy, a paceline can be a lot of fun. Even riding with one or two other riders, taking turns pulling, can be a lot of fun.

I've become selective in the groups I make the effort of joining. If they're too fast and are on a ride where they don't care to stick with the slower riders, I'll pass. If I don't firmly believe the riders have good group/paceline skills, I avoid like the plague and will even bow out during the ride.

I don't ride bike paths with groups, maybe a family ride.
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.