Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reliable Source For Cartridge Bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reliable Source For Cartridge Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 03:03 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Did you see the procedure for setting the preload on those hubs Steve ? I've never used any that had a preload, but it seems to me that's the cause of side to side play.
I think that we need to clear a few things up. First, you never really want to "preload" any radial ball bearing as it will quickly ruin the bearing. All the WI hubs are doing is taking up the slack between the inner races of the outer bearings which will keep the axle from moving laterally in the bearing.

In my case the axle is not sliding but the "slop" in the wheel is coming from increased clearances in each ball bearing due to dirt ingress through the seals.

Originally Posted by Garthr
If the bearings are shot they will feel rough while spinning, but not move laterally as the load is fixed at that point. The bearings could disintegrate and no longer spin, but I don't see how there could be any room for lateral movement, as the cartridges are self contained units.
Basically correct. However, wear in the balls and the races will allow "loosness" without the axle actually sliding.
Old 05-12-24, 05:41 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I am getting ready to pack the bike up for a couple of weeks in Mallorca. I pulled the QR skewer and noticed that the axle locking collar seemed significantly outboard of the hub (see photo). Is the T11 hub supposed to look like this?

If the answer is no then the possible explanations are the bearings are not properly seated in the hub or the bearing width is too wide forcing the locking collar outboard of where the designers intended.

Last weekend I was sweeping a local event and did 95 miles in on/off rain with about 3 major deluges. After that I did a complete clean of the bike and found the original bearing issue. As part of the cleanup I flooded both bearing caps with my proprietary penetrating chain lube just to see what would happen. Today when I removed the skewer for the photo the bearings felt much better but still loose from wear. This tells me that the seals are shot as it allowed the lube into the bearings when it shouldn't have.

WI T11 Locking Collar Spacing from Hub
Old 05-13-24, 08:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,159 Times in 2,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
I called WI and they said no warranty on bearings as they are a wear item. After I told them how disappointed I was in their bearings and that I got 60-70K miles out of my Phil hubs and never replaced the bearings they grudgingly said that they would ship me a pair. It will be interesting to see what they are when they show up.

I don't need ceramic but I am curious what seals Phil used on the bearings in my hubs. I suspect that they were NOT the low friction LLB or LLU variety. The Phil hubs also had the seal directly exposed on the outside of the hub whereas the WI hubs had them somewhat hidden behind the axle endcaps which afforded significant protection.
Yeah most companies don't warranty wear items but in a special case as yours some will help out which they did.

Nobody really needs ceramic but that is what Kogel does and they make decent stuff at more reasonable pricing. I would probably agree on Phil, I have a set of their hubs and a bottom bracket and the hubs are great the bottom bracket I would recommend a little less at least for this bike but it spins fine and looks good I just feel like there are other options that do a little better performance wise and are a little cheaper (square taper of course)