Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fitting in Weights to Zone 2 + HIIT

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fitting in Weights to Zone 2 + HIIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 05:55 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
A lot of interesting stuff here, following.
Old 05-07-24, 12:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,130 Posts
I'm new to weight training and have much to learn. Yesterday, I followed my weight workout with a 19.5 mile commute (WHEW!)and now realize that much thought needs to go into mixing weights with cycling. AND I only did 3 sets of dead lifts, squats, and bench press with beginner-old-man loads.
Old 05-08-24, 02:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2658 Post(s)
Liked 5,848 Times in 3,011 Posts
This is my gym

Just had 15 yards of mulch delivered and moved it with shovel and wheelbarrow. This is a fraction of the acre maintained

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-08-24, 09:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,533 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Just had 15 yards of mulch delivered and moved it with shovel and wheelbarrow. This is a fraction of the acre maintained
This is why the gym work is necessary as we age. It's necessary so that daily tasks such as described here can be done more efficiently, with decreased fatigue/chance of injury.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-13-24, 12:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Fast After 50 solved my issue. A week can be 7, 10, 12 or however many days you want it to be. So simple. Doh!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-19-24, 05:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4548 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 3,122 Posts
Fast After 50 solved my issue. A week can be 7, 10, 12 or however many days you want it to be. So simple. Doh!
Yep, I often throw in additional rest days if I need to and don’t worry about fitting everything rigidly into a 7 day routine.
Old 05-19-24, 08:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
For the past ~25 years, my weeks have been rigidly fixed around the sacred Sunday group ride for which I am the route master. And those rides are in turn focused around a couple annual event rides, so there's a year-long cycle of prepping for same. That gives focus to one's riding life. I also have a year-long cycle associated with hiking, where my wife and I prep for our annual 10-day backpack in the Cascades. That hiking cycle has been closely associated with the riding cycle. The two activities reinforce each other and having a year-long cycle keeps things from getting boring and possibly prevents overtraining. Weight training is also part of that cycle. We move through the various gym modalities as the year progresses. Hiking turns into skiing and snowshoeing in winter.

Since the group ride is always going to have a good dose of intensity, during the week I try to get in a couple hour or so Z2 rides and those two gym days, which becomes 1 gym day on the first of April as the riding and hiking stresses increase with spring. Thus there are two rest days and the group ride takes case of all the weekly intensity.

Sunday - group ride.
Monday - hike (when we were working, work was Tuesday through Saturday)
Tuesday - gym in winter, rest in summer
Wednesday - Z2 for me, dressage for my wife
Thursday - gym
Friday - Z2
Saturday - rest
In winter or when the weather is inclement, the Z2 rides are indoors. We rode rain or shine on Sunday until we were about 70 when the group put a stop to that. Since then we've done intervals indoors on Sunday if the weather was bad. Sometimes it's a group sufferfest.

When it's not butt-freezing cold or raining, in spring some of those Z2 rides become Z2 walks in our local city hilly terrain, no traffic lights. Walking helps prevent back issues associated with only cycling. If we walk fast enough, my wife can hit Z2 on the flat but I'm stuck in Z1, fine..
Old 05-20-24, 11:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Cross post,, but thought it was worth sharing with the wise:

55 miles (88K <-which sounds more impressive) with 2,300’ (701 meters <-doesn’t sound that impressive) and 3 PRs on an ideal day temperature wise - low 60s.

I usually try to hammer this kind of distance and try for 17 to 18 MPH average and feel wrecked when I finish and for the rest of the night and the next day. But, after several rides of Zone 2, which is super easy, I thought, why not keep a more moderate pace and see how I feel during the big climbs and at the end. The answer is, the climbs went really well and at the end I felt fine and could have easily done 20 more. Nothing wrong with taking it to the max to improve VO2 once or twice a week, but not feeling wasted at the end of a 50 mile ride is fantastic.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-20-24 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-21-24, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts
Cross post,, but thought it was worth sharing with the wise:

55 miles (88K <-which sounds more impressive) with 2,300’ (701 meters <-doesn’t sound that impressive) and 3 PRs on an ideal day temperature wise - low 60s.

I usually try to hammer this kind of distance and try for 17 to 18 MPH average and feel wrecked when I finish and for the rest of the night and the next day. But, after several rides of Zone 2, which is super easy, I thought, why not keep a more moderate pace and see how I feel during the big climbs and at the end. The answer is, the climbs went really well and at the end I felt fine and could have easily done 20 more. Nothing wrong with taking it to the max to improve VO2 once or twice a week, but not feeling wasted at the end of a 50 mile ride is fantastic.
Congrats on the PRs.

I go out of my way not to feel wrecked after a ride and the next day. Why? I have a lot of training activities to do during the week that require a somewhat recovered next day.

I do not get your last sentence. It sounds like you mix VO2 training into 50 mile rides. I do not do that. If I have a VO2 workout, I do a warmup and then do the VO2 workout with rest intervals and then some type of warm down / recovery. The entire workout may take some time but not 50 miles of actual riding, In fact, my VO2 and anaerobic training mileage is short but the total time devoted to the workout may be long.

A gym workout is predominantly uses the phosphate creatine system for ATP. My goal is to keep the gym work focused on the PC system and not fatigue the other systems. Having said that, the PC system takes the longest to recharge so rest periods are important.

If I am going to do an endurance ride, I stick to endurance.

I think I will bump the San Millan thread in T&N since he is still affiliated with UAE and Tadej Pogačar is killing the Giro.
Old 05-21-24, 12:52 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts
I started a new thread in T&N featuring San Millan's latest and first solo video that was not part of a podcast.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-21-24 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-21-24, 01:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Hermes
Congrats on the PRs.

I go out of my way not to feel wrecked after a ride and the next day. Why? I have a lot of training activities to do during the week that require a somewhat recovered next day.

I do not get your last sentence. It sounds like you mix VO2 training into 50 mile rides. I do not do that. If I have a VO2 workout, I do a warmup and then do the VO2 workout with rest intervals and then some type of warm down / recovery. The entire workout may take some time but not 50 miles of actual riding, In fact, my VO2 and anaerobic training mileage is short but the total time devoted to the workout may be long.

A gym workout is predominantly uses the phosphate creatine system for ATP. My goal is to keep the gym work focused on the PC system and not fatigue the other systems. Having said that, the PC system takes the longest to recharge so rest periods are important.

If I am going to do an endurance ride, I stick to endurance.

I think I will bump the San Millan thread in T&N since he is still affiliated with UAE and Tadej Pogačar is killing the Giro.
Sorry for not being more clear. The VO2 rides are on separate days from distance rides. However some of the distance routes involve climbs of 15% for a quarter mile which unavoidably gets the HR and Watts way up.