Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Impotence or ED from biking

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Has biking caused impotence for you?
Yes
6.01%
No
93.99%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Impotence or ED from biking

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 07:43 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
Tired? You just got here dude. That you Sam/Doc?
This is the second thread I've started where you've pointed out the fact that I'm a newbie. You're pretty caught up on the fact that you've been a member for a whole 2 years, huh? You should change your signature to "2 years and still trollin"

And no, I'm not sam or doc.
Old 11-13-07, 07:56 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhh, your brilliance is exceeded only by your humility. You're going to fit in here very well. Let me tell you up front - your opinion matters. I will eagerly await your future posts, as they are both insightful and well written. I care what you think, expecially your thoughts on impotence - really superior contributions. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-13-07, 08:11 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hang on... let me check...

no peeking...
Old 11-13-07, 09:01 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Liked 451 Times in 358 Posts
Flite saddles cause me problems. Maiden voyage on my first road bike, with a stem that was too long, and a flite saddle...er...how to say it...caused me to have a "problem" for several DAYS. Kind of scary but I got over it. Put the Flite on my MTB thinking the standing will mitigate the "problem". Worked to some extent but that damn saddle continued to cause me minor problems until I ditched it in the spares box. There's a reason so many saddles have a hole in the middle - despite what all the studs say in this thread seem to be suggesting.
Old 11-13-07, 09:15 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
Flite saddles cause me problems. Maiden voyage on my first road bike, with a stem that was too long, and a flite saddle...er...how to say it...caused me to have a "problem" for several DAYS. Kind of scary but I got over it. Put the Flite on my MTB thinking the standing will mitigate the "problem". Worked to some extent but that damn saddle continued to cause me minor problems until I ditched it in the spares box. There's a reason so many saddles have a hole in the middle - despite what all the studs say in this thread seem to be suggesting.
Yeah. I don't think most guys are too keen on admitting that there may be a problem down below. Interesting story. It seems like it depends mostly on the saddle, and I'm guessing most serious cyclists have nice saddles with the cutaway in the middle, or at least a lower area in the middle.
Old 11-13-07, 09:37 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started on my first double century on a bike I had only owned for a few days. It took two weeks for the numbness to go away.
Old 11-13-07, 09:42 PM
texascyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikingGrad80
I think mainly recreational cyclists with their improper huge gel saddles get ED from cycling. People with proper saddles that put weight on the sit bones are fine.
+1. The only things that are going to choke off your blood supply is a thickly padded saddle and a bad position. Newbs are somehow magnetically attracted to cutouts and gel padding shown in their Performance catalog. A minimally padded saddle like an arionne or a regular SLR is all you need
Old 11-13-07, 09:46 PM
texascyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nessism
So you had a bad fit and put the saddle on the MTB? Maybe I missed a step where you got fit on your bike before you "demoted" the saddle.
Old 11-13-07, 10:00 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
At age 75 and a quarter million miles on various saddles/bikes/tandems all is fine!
The big fuss about cycling/ED sure has sold a lot of saddles with holes in 'em!
Old 11-13-07, 10:27 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think everyone's plumbing is a little bit different. Some people just shouldn't be on the bike period. Some people could ride 600 miles/wk on a brick wedge. The rest of us probably should minor precautions like bike fitting and properly designed saddles.
Old 11-13-07, 10:28 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hi,

Every time my mother=in-law saw one of these articles about cycling and impotence she would send it to me or call me -- even after we had our kids (2). I've been sitting on hard racing saddles since I've been 16. I'm not saying that a bicycle saddle can't cause problems but I think that ill fitting bikes are more to blame than the saddles themselves.

BTW, my saddle history: Cinelli Unicanitor => Selle Italia Turbo => Selle Italia Flite (since 1993).
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 11-14-07, 01:05 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,458 Times in 787 Posts
I wish.

But no, if anything riding gets me even harder.
Old 11-14-07, 01:31 PM
Tri-FatBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I wish.

But no, if anything riding gets me even harder.
+1 The hormones released make me... well, yeah.
Old 11-14-07, 01:33 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, but being married for 20 years means it doesn't matter
Old 11-14-07, 01:51 PM
mwrobe1
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I procreated twice since starting cycling. I have the opposite problem.

AnnaSep2007web.jpg LukeOct2007web.jpg

I'm 33 and been married 11 years if that matters.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 11-14-07, 02:40 PM
nvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't get it up...1) seat not positioned correctly or 2) you're just not into her anymore.
Old 11-14-07, 03:17 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Hang on... let me check...

no peeking...
at last a scientific study!

Oh, dang!..it has been like almost 20 hours. Need help? or is this more your thing?
Old 11-14-07, 03:24 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My urologist specialized in ED (and no, that's not why I'm seeing him) and he rides. What does that tell you?

Az
Old 11-14-07, 03:37 PM
JLF1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this forum is actually not the best place to find people suffering from ED due to cycling... IMO, (and the opinion of most in the medical profession it seems), cycling is a very healthy activity BUT requires a very unnatural position.

Road bikes only fit well when the rider is fit-- without a strong core and good flexibility, you can't distribute your weight properly. How many folks do you see riding with 60mm of stack height and riser stems on an otherwise "fast" road bike? Seems to me they're putting a lot more pressure on the crotch than your average hunched-over roadie, and chances are they're generating a lot less power with the legs (less force to resist pressure on the butt).

In the past I have only noticed numbness when I'm completely shattered in a long race and I start slouching in the middle. Usually I'm too tired to get off the saddle as much and I start "bracing" myself with my arms instead of that light supportive feeling you have when you're fresh...

Anyway, I'd expect more numbness/ED reports in an audience of less dedicated riders who have worse bike fit, worse posture on the bike, and big squishy saddles.
Old 11-14-07, 03:40 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of cycling on hard saddles, one son and no problem with the wedding vegetables.
Old 11-14-07, 03:42 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this guy had no trouble either https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7095134.stm

Couldn't even wait to get home
Old 11-14-07, 03:51 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Started on my first double century on a bike I had only owned for a few days. It took two weeks for the numbness to go away.
I once rode several hours in near freezing temperature and went numb for 2 days. But two weeks?! Damn. That would scare me.

I don't understand the correlation of cycling and impotence. Even if I go numb after a long ride, I can still get an erection.
Old 11-14-07, 04:20 PM
austropithicus

I've never understood why riders don't tilt their seats forward. Mine is probably 10-15 degrees past horizontal. I have never had any pain since I adjusted it like this. Oh well, I'm good.

Old 11-14-07, 04:21 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Liked 451 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by texascyclist
So you had a bad fit and put the saddle on the MTB? Maybe I missed a step where you got fit on your bike before you "demoted" the saddle.
The Flite saddle is quite narrow across the pelvic sit area - not wide enough (apparently) to support my pelvis. This in conjunction with a stretched out riding position caused "the problem". The solution to the problem was a shorter stem and a different saddle (Avocet O2 racing saddle).
Old 11-14-07, 04:36 PM
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling - No. Post on on BF - maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.