Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best 1" threaded headset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Who makes the best 1" threaded headset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 07:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,112 Posts
The head set in my 1971 Bianchi is a Campagnolo integrated assembly. Still good after all these years and I bought the bike used. Having 30+ balls top and bottom probably contributes to its longevity.
Old 05-10-24, 10:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,337 Posts
I would think a headset with an angular sealed bearing would be be the best. I’m not sure brand makes any difference.

Indexing is generally an eventual issue with ball bearing cup/cone headsets and I can’t imagine that being a problem with a cartridge and since it is expendable.

John
Old 05-10-24, 02:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 345 Posts
After 16 years of dormancy, this thread lives again!
Old 05-11-24, 12:32 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
I rather like these dormant threads as it's interesting to see what still applies and what doesn't. Myself I've used Tange headsets for decades, alloy and steel. I prefer steel for the type fo shine, and the steel nut withstands the inevitable less-than perfect fitting 32mm headset wrenches. The only headset I ever had ouright fail was the top portion of an Americal Classic Trilock, inside. The alloy cracked. Nice idea though, adjusted with only a small allen wrench. I've never had a Tange wear out or index a crown race, unlike Campy back in the day. In hindsight I should gone to using just ball bearings and no retainer in those to deal with the indexing. That was with a road frame though, with 25mm tires pumped to 90 psi and I weighed 200+ back then.

As noted many times here, a Tange Passage or Levin CDS will do just fine, best band for the buck. I have more brains than disposable income these days so I'll never buy another high end headset.