Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

With the rise of throttle e-bikes, e-motorcycles, mopeds etc. on the MUPs....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

With the rise of throttle e-bikes, e-motorcycles, mopeds etc. on the MUPs....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 03:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5992 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Those are motorcycles, not bicycles. Or to parse a bit - mopeds, not bicycles. It's not a moral judgement to state this fact.
Agreed.

Words have meaning. There's no judgement, moral or otherwise, in calling things what they are.

Moral judgement only comes into play when people arbitrarily redefine words to suit an agenda.

I don't care about what people ride in don't, but I do care that regulations are well considered and make sense according to the essential nature of bicycles and motorcycles.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-21-24, 05:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
I have a throttle on my DIY drop-bar mountain e-bike, but I had to move it out of the way so I could install a better dropper post lever. I can still reach it on the very rare occasions that I use it for 30 seconds.

This bike is slower than my road bike on all but the steepest of hills. I use it to commute to and from work on rural back-roads.

I've only used the throttle to get started on an inconvenient uphill. The distinction is completely arbitrary, to the point of being completely meaningless. I could disconnect it and I would still have the same bike, but why should I? It very occasionally comes in handy, and I paid for it along with the rest of the ebike kit.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-21-24, 06:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
If you put a motor in a shopping cart, is it still OK to use in the store?
Old 05-21-24, 06:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2658 Post(s)
Liked 3,218 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If you put a motor in a shopping cart, is it still OK to use in the store?
I put lots of things in shopping carts and then pay for them at the checkout.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-21-24, 06:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I put lots of things in shopping carts and then pay for them at the checkout.
lol eye c watt oujj done they're
Old 05-22-24, 06:34 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 311 Posts
The Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail benefits from ATV riders smoothing it out.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-22-24, 07:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Have you shifted more of your spare time to other hobbies and recreational pursuits?
I recently moved from flatland to hill country, so my spare time activities have already shifted BUT i have changed my opinion of people on E-Bikes. An average or below average cyclist who wants to cycle in or near my new hometown (Greenville, SC) will almost certainly want some extra help on the hills. There are many motor assisted bikes on the local Rail-Trails, and I do not blame them.

On the plus side, e-bikes are giving me a better workout. On the Doodle Trail from Pickford, SC to Easley, SC there was a guy on a fat tire e-bike trying to overtake me for SEVEN MILES! On the uphills he would slowly gain on me but on the downhills I could create a huge gap. I guess that was due to his regenerative braking resistance slowing him down. No clue. I was thinking it was just a matter of time before he overtook me but I somehow managed those 7 hilly miles without bonking. I was on a Surley Lowside 1x1 with pretty big tires that I often run low pressure for comfort. I am certainly not interested in SPEED on that bike but I still managed. What a great workout that guy afforded me! I would never have pushed like that on my own. Too lazy.

Footnote: I can turn 130 cadence on the downhills without bouncing in the saddle. It's true!
Old 05-23-24, 03:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

I guess that was due to his regenerative braking resistance slowing him down.
Very few e-bikes have regen braking. Probably just slow rolling fat-bike tyres and aero.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-23-24, 06:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,591 Times in 1,073 Posts
On the plus side, e-bikes are giving me a better workout. On the Doodle Trail from Pickford, SC to Easley, SC there was a guy on a fat tire e-bike trying to overtake me for SEVEN MILES! On the uphills he would slowly gain on me but on the downhills I could create a huge gap. I guess that was due to his regenerative braking resistance slowing him down. No clue.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Very few e-bikes have regen braking. Probably just slow rolling fat-bike tyres and aero.
Or perhaps the other guy was just out for an enjoyable ride and not a workout, was not in a make-believe race, and was not concerned about the thrill of overtaking a random stranger on a bike trail.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-23-24, 12:09 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Or perhaps the other guy was just out for an enjoyable ride and not a workout, was not in a make-believe race, and was not concerned about the thrill of overtaking a random stranger on a bike trail.
Yeaaaah....No
Old 05-23-24, 12:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They DO exist. This was exactly what was happening to the guy IMO. I had 7 miles of hills to observe him in my helmet mounted mirror. He gained ground on the uphills, lost ground on the downhills. So basically i tried to relax as much as I could without being overtaken on the uphills, then hammer the S#iT out of it on the downhills. He may have just been out on a pleasure ride for sure, but I did not give him the pleasure of passing me. And got a much better workout than if he wasn't behind me pushing me - known to him or not. I'm sure he wasn't "letting" me "win" an imaginary race either.

SOURCE

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-23-24 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-23-24, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
They DO exist. This was exactly what was happening to the guy IMO. I had 7 miles of hills to observe him in my helmet mounted mirror. Gained ground on the uphills, lost ground on the downhills. So basically i tried to relax as much as I could without being overtaken on the uphills, then hammer the S#iT out of it on the downhills. He may have just been out on a pleasure ride for sure, but I did not give him the pleasure of passing me. And got a much better workout than if he wasn't behind me pushing me - known to him or not. I'm sure he wasn't "letting" me "win" an imaginary race either.

SOURCE
I know they exist, but your chances of coming across a fat bike with regen braking are practically zero. It is far more likely that it just had a motor speed limiter. Not that it really matters.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-03-24, 01:05 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 816 Posts
I came across this video on YT about the US changing ebike laws to more closely reflect the laws in the EU. I'm kind of skeptical it will happen soon, if at all, but it is the first time of hearing about this proposed change. However, if they do make the changes I guess that'll be good news for you MUP cyclists...I'll still stick to the roads, regardless

Here is a link I think he was referring to (in the video), but I didn't read the whole thing, since I'm not an ebiker. https://www.regulations.gov/document...2024-0008-0001

Old 06-08-24, 08:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 427 Posts
This linked article in today’s Providence (RI) Journal 6/8/2024. I’m glad to see this. But I think there should be a forth class that includes “any” electric bike that goes over ## speed. People modify them, and I’ve been passed on MUPs by e-bikes, with pedals, going much faster than the 28 mph mentioned for the class 3 e-bikes. But, I guess the new law allows only class 1 on the MUPs so that’s good. Also, according to the article, this is for “state bike paths and trails.” I think it should include all bike paths (I know of some that are not state-owned/controlled). And should also include roadways with shoulders for bicycling (i.e. with “sharrows”).

https://tinyurl.com/246p4449

Dan
Old 06-09-24, 10:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 454 Posts
The local MUP has some confusing regulations. Most e-bike riders are not crazy riders, so not a big problem usually. However, the MUP has a sign posted--no motorized vehicles. Does an e-bike not have an electric MOTOR, which makes it a motorized vehicle? I asked one of the MUP administrators (one of the very few times I've ever seen one) about it. The reply was they do not consider electric motors as "motors". And though it isn't posted, only Class 1 e-bikes are supposedly allowed, though the great majority I've seen are not Class 1, most can motor along without pedaling. Regulations mean nothing when they are not enforced. It isn't a problem there yet, but school is out now for the summer, so guess I'll see how it goes.
Old 06-09-24, 11:20 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

NYPD cracks down on out-of-control mopeds terrorizing NYC