Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

AC Joint Sprain

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 07:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
also noticed the injured shoulder (left) was a little cranky. didn't seem to be from the weight training tho, which is good. the past few days, maybe a week, I decided to monitor the shoulder & discovered something interesting. despite being right handed, I use my left arm for quite a lot, such as opening house doors, car doors & lots of other stuff. I might hold something in my right hand but I do all these other things w/ my left. so I'm trying to lay off the left & use the right more. I remember this shoulder acting up like this, years before the crash
yup, sure enough, sharing the load w/ the right arm has helped a great deal. funny how I have to consciously use the other arm & so weird that I normally use my non-dominant arm for so many things

worth logging for myself, I have switched gyms & I miss the old machines. the new machines have different angles. I am compensating in diff. ways & now using some free weights such as for deltoid side arm raises

another accommodation is with the shoulder press machine. I'm now not doing a complete motion, bottom to top, instead, I do a set from the down position to 1/2 way up. then do a set from the 1/2 way point to fully raised. I do this because the injured shoulder has a little movement, or pop, or something inside, is flexing at the halfway point. so rather than irritate it, I avoid that position & just do below it & above it. it will be interesting, over time, to see if my shoulder adapts to the new machines

oh & I started doing full body weight pull-ups again. 2 sets of 2 but I do like the assisted pull-up machine. whoever invented that, deserves a lot credit

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-09-24 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-22-24, 08:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

fwiw - body surfing in crashing waves can be hazardous to one's shoulders. survived but got a reminder that my older joints aren't what they once was. good news, didn't see or "feel" any sharks! ;-)
Old 07-24-24, 01:07 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 638 Times in 484 Posts
fwiw - body surfing in crashing waves can be hazardous to one's shoulders. survived but got a reminder that my older joints aren't what they once was.
By the end of my 20s, I pretty much hung up the fins for good. No more bodysurfing for me.

The size and power of the waves where I bodysurfed ("The Wedge" in Newport, CA) just wasn't conducive to retaining use of my neck, shoulders, etc. Got "maytagged" a couple of times, hard, and that's when I was in strong, stellar shape for such pummelling. Glad I gave it up then. Can't imagine taking such a pounding these days.

Back then, on a few occasions I had the knees strained from all the slamming. Once or twice, the back muscles were achy for a few days from having to eject from a big wave. Never did get injured, really. But came close on countless occasions, walking away with just minor aches and pains.

As you say, a body can get really torqued out of alignment if the "right" wave does the wrong thing.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-24-24, 05:48 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
By the end of my 20s, I pretty much hung up the fins for good. No more bodysurfing for me.

The size and power of the waves where I bodysurfed ("The Wedge" in Newport, CA) just wasn't conducive to retaining use of my neck, shoulders, etc. Got "maytagged" a couple of times, hard, and that's when I was in strong, stellar shape for such pummelling. Glad I gave it up then. Can't imagine taking such a pounding these days.

Back then, on a few occasions I had the knees strained from all the slamming. Once or twice, the back muscles were achy for a few days from having to eject from a big wave. Never did get injured, really. But came close on countless occasions, walking away with just minor aches and pains.

As you say, a body can get really torqued out of alignment if the "right" wave does the wrong thing.
wow, you're in another class I've gotta look some of that up!

but yes, catch the wrong coastal wave, the wrong way & you'll be tumbling under water for several seconds. gotta get low & let it rumble over you. & if it flings you forward be prepared for where you're headed. be patient your next breath is coming but you gotta wait for the pause, then swim if necessary. or climb out if you're lucky

if you have an arm injury & can't swim, when you need to, you could die

if you can't ride out the above & panic, you could die

if you are unlucky enough to get flipped, in a crashing wave, next to shore, you could die

I've got stories but won't bore you ;-)

ideally there's a bump-out in the beach that is shallow. then the incoming waves, hopefully small & gentle, when they reach the shore, that shallow part will bring up little waves, whose break will carry you over a long distance in only 1-2 feet of water. & hopefully little to no seaweed

I was having trouble standing up at the end of my ride. the sand was soft under foot & the wave frequency was on the higher side

then there's the sharks, but that's a whole other aspect to it, now
Old 07-24-24, 06:29 PM
streetsurfer

Liked 318 Times in 169 Posts
I just took several yellow jacket stings. Some to each arm and the thumbs, back and head.

I've had both A/C joints torn. My most recent was a year and a half ago when I broke the opposite collar bone.

Anyway, the venom seems to have made the most recent tear hurt much more. It actually feels like I was stung there but I don't believe I was. Maybe I wrenched it some guarding.

Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 07-27-24, 07:57 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
I just took several yellow jacket stings. Some to each arm and the thumbs, back and head.

I've had both A/C joints torn. My most recent was a year and a half ago when I broke the opposite collar bone.

Anyway, the venom seems to have made the most recent tear hurt much more. It actually feels like I was stung there but I don't believe I was. Maybe I wrenched it some guarding.
whoa that’s a wild phenomenon! but ouch!
Old 07-30-24, 02:21 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 638 Times in 484 Posts
but yes, catch the wrong coastal wave, the wrong way & you'll be tumbling under water ...

then there's the sharks, but that's a whole other aspect to it, now
Yeah, that spot (The Wedge) is pretty great. Or, was. It's been years since I've done bodysurfing there. Fifty years ago, the character of the people who congregated there gave it the reputation it's got now. Very dangerous, on the "wrong" day. Very powerful hydro forces. A very steep bottom shelf that rapidly increases the wave height. And where the jetty and shoreline meet up, there's simply nowhere for "excess" water to go ... except back out toward the incoming next wave. Now and then, that backwash results in the next wave going sideways, turning a well-formed tube into an exploding mess. When it's smooth, it's incomparable. When it gets a bit rougher, or if the angle of inbound wave energy is off-line even a little bit (from the line of the jetty), the waves change a great deal.

A couple of (internet) photos showing the size and shape of the waves that can form there.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XnMZ-T86GP4/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/ce...7f4bb51578.jpg

And here's a puny little wave, with the guy about to get "maytagged" ...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e4/e9/18/e...d-the-body.jpg

Gotta love The Wedge. A chiropractor's dream, you might say.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-31-24, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yeah, that spot (The Wedge) is pretty great. Or, was. It's been years since I've done bodysurfing there. Fifty years ago, the character of the people who congregated there gave it the reputation it's got now. Very dangerous, on the "wrong" day. Very powerful hydro forces. A very steep bottom shelf that rapidly increases the wave height. And where the jetty and shoreline meet up, there's simply nowhere for "excess" water to go ... except back out toward the incoming next wave. Now and then, that backwash results in the next wave going sideways, turning a well-formed tube into an exploding mess. When it's smooth, it's incomparable. When it gets a bit rougher, or if the angle of inbound wave energy is off-line even a little bit (from the line of the jetty), the waves change a great deal.

A couple of (internet) photos showing the size and shape of the waves that can form there.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XnMZ-T86GP4/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/ce...7f4bb51578.jpg

And here's a puny little wave, with the guy about to get "maytagged" ...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e4/e9/18/e...d-the-body.jpg

Gotta love The Wedge. A chiropractor's dream, you might say.
this is more my speed

Old 09-06-24, 09:56 AM
rumrunn6

fwiw - body surfing in crashing waves can be hazardous to one's shoulders. survived but got a reminder that my older joints aren't what they once was. good news, didn't see or "feel" any sharks! ;-)
after a summer break & that shoulder twist at the beach, went back to a stationary bike & gave the shoulders a rest for a little over month? maybe more? this week started back with the weight training & taking it easy for now
Likes For rumrunn6: