Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How fast have you ridden?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How fast have you ridden?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 11:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
at 7:50
37mph in a 30 zone, oops. still got passed ...
Old 11-28-23, 12:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10529 Post(s)
Liked 12,105 Times in 6,195 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
That might be the hill I specifically tried to avoid yesterday. I instead routed myself around to Polehmas and Ralston to get onto Alameda de Puglas. Polehmas's climb isn't so bad, but I forgot how terrifying Ralston's descent is (I probably last did it four years ago on a trip, before moving out here). Feathering the brakes on slightly broken pavement with traffic coming up from behind... kept it under 40mph, though I think I would've been more comfortable closer to 35.

Big Basin going into Saratoga can be a blast though - freshly paved, and there's a fairly straight, -7% section for well over a mile...
Probably not the same hill. Mine's close to where Alameda T's into Crystal Springs, North of 92, whereas Ralston and Polhemus are a good 3 miles South.

You might be thinking of Hillsdale Blvd, which has a couple really steep sections between CSM and Alameda. It drops 280 feet in 1/2 mile from the highest point down to Alameda.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-28-23, 12:43 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Probably not the same hill. Mine's close to where Alameda T's into Crystal Springs, North of 92, whereas Ralston and Polhemus are a good 3 miles South.

You might be thinking of Hillsdale Blvd, which has a couple really steep sections between CSM and Alameda. It drops 280 feet in 1/2 mile from the highest point down to Alameda.
I probably should've clarified - my route yesterday took me along the length of Cañada from Woodside to Crystal Springs. I had planned to take Crystal Springs all the way down to Alameda and hang a right, but I saw a section of ~10% along that section and decided nope, I'm good not making it a climbing day. Instead went around along Polhemus and Ralston to connect to Alameda.
Old 11-28-23, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I probably should've clarified - my route yesterday took me along the length of Cañada from Woodside to Crystal Springs. I had planned to take Crystal Springs all the way down to Alameda and hang a right, but I saw a section of ~10% along that section and decided nope, I'm good not making it a climbing day. Instead went around along Polhemus and Ralston to connect to Alameda.
Ah. Probably Alameda from Hillsdale up to the top. 317 feet in 0.7 miles. 8.6% average, with some bits as high as 18%. I went down it once. ONCE. I've never tried to climb it.

Old 11-28-23, 09:40 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I regularly hit 42-44 mph on my commute, not a big deal. Rode a Gran Fondo a decade ago with lots of climbing. Hit 54.6 mph on the downhill basically coasting, it was a little scary, felt like a different kind of speed. Don't think I would try it again now that I am older.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 11-28-23, 09:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked 5,847 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
53 mph on a sustained 7% descent at 7,000 ft. Thinner air allows you to go faster. And we had a serious swirly tailwind. My buddy, who had/has a significant weight advantage passed me by at least 3 mph.

There were some white spots far in the distance on the side of the road, and before my brain could process what they were, I had passed the family of mountain goats licking road salt. In retrospect, if I had more time I should have been very worried, as my pal might have spooked them and driven them right in front of me. Not that I would have had the time or skills to dodge them.
Looks like time to start packing away the doughnuts so you can scare the goats first.

Old 11-28-23, 09:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7087 Post(s)
Liked 11,198 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
in years past over 50mph this around 45mph....older and wiser I guess.
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I still hit the mid to high 40's on a couple of the downhills in my area but I'm no longer comfortable giving grabity its head.
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Will never know because my wild-and-crazy days are in the rearview,
Originally Posted by Eric F
That was 20+ years ago. These days, I don't go over 40mph very often.
Originally Posted by macattack71
Don't think I would try it again now that I am older.
I’m not trying to be funny or flippant, but a part of me just doesn’t understand this attitude – – “I won’t do such dangerous things now that I’m older.“ Being older means being closer to death, which also means being closer to the long slow decline that I’ve watched many of my elders endure. Not pleasant. I can think of far worse endings than a quick and fatal bike crash.
Old 11-28-23, 10:05 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m not trying to be funny or flippant, but a part of me just doesn’t understand this attitude – – “I won’t do such dangerous things now that I’m older.“ Being older means being closer to death, which also means being closer to the long slow decline that I’ve watched many of my elders endure. Not pleasant. I can think of far worse endings than a quick and fatal bike crash.
at 65 its not the death that is the problem but the time it takes to heal…….if you don’t die 😀. Get banged up when you are young you might be out of commission for a while but you bounce back and can get your fitness back to where it was. When you reach a certain age the fitness you lose from a serious injury is gone for good
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-28-23, 10:33 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 314 Posts
I have had the tandem (fully loaded with the panniers on a fork mounted rack) going an indicated 45 MPH on a correctly calibrated wheel speed sensor. This happened several times on extended tours in Scotland. The rule of riding there is that what goes down will come up, so Mrs. Dan and I just tuck down and go along for the ride.
Old 11-28-23, 10:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
there are plenty of hills in this general area where you get past 50 easily. I live near the top of Farm Hill, and if I wanted to could hit 50 daily and might be able to hit 60 if I went up a little and went back down. I don’t try to go fast because it’s not worth it for me.

i forgot the name of the hill, but there is a legitimately absurd hill in Portola Valley off of Alpine colloquially name “the wall” where you easily hit 65+ mph. Think it’s near willowbrook.

again, imo the consequences of crashing at 50+ are potentially fatal, where for me crashing below 20 is borderline a non issue.

some kids in their early teens were riding their bikes down the hill I live on last month, the first time I’ve seen something like this. I went out like a dad and told them to be careful, and one of them said they were and then said “this is so much fun!” Honestly I wish I could have fun descending, I kind of hate it. Had a TBI when I was descending a hill when I was 18 and then went and got strong in a town in Ohio paved flat by a glacier, then moved back to a hilly region.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-28-23 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-28-23, 10:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
My balance is worse, my vision is worse, my bones are more brittle, I have witnessed vastly more carnage, and what once might have been road rash is far more likely to put me into the emergency room, or worse, and as noted above, healing time is greatly extended. But most importantly, bicycles are FAR more expensive to replace.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 11-29-23 at 12:47 AM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-29-23, 12:21 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
According to my Velo, a white-knuckling 37mph. Once.
Old 11-29-23, 07:50 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
But most importantly, bicycles are FAR more expensive to replace.
No problem. My wife got a big raise last year.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-29-23, 08:10 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 277 Posts
When I hit 65 I was on a 'closed' road for a specific race. I've not encountered a similar opportunity again or I would have given my bike her head.
The speed I hit now is on an open road descending into a city where not a lot of people obey the traffic laws or care much about the safety of others.
I also don't 'bounce back' from crashes but that doesn't bother me much more than it did when I was much younger.
Old 11-29-23, 10:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5047 Post(s)
Liked 8,306 Times in 3,922 Posts
My reflexes and vision aren’t what they were in my early 30s, and quick death is not guaranteed - although I’m not a fan of that idea, either. We all accept some risk to participate in our sport, but I’m less comfortable pushing against the limits of my abilities than I used to be, and my limits are also lower than they used to be. Old bodies break easier, and heal more slowly. I also care more about remaining structurally intact than I used to.
Old 11-29-23, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by jadmt
at 65 its not the death that is the problem but the time it takes to heal…….if you don’t die 😀
My balance is worse, my vision is worse, my bones are more brittle, I have witnessed vastly more carnage, and what once might have been road rash is far more likely to put me into the emergency room, or worse, and as noted above, healing time is greatly extended.
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I also don't 'bounce back' from crashes but that doesn't bother me much more than it did when I was much younger.
Old bodies break easier, and heal more slowly. I also care more about remaining structurally intact than I used to.
Good points, all of them. Guess I've been spending too much time thinking about my 85-year old mother, who is basically an invalid with some dementia. Makes me (sort of) hope for a quick ending before I get to that point, which seems more and more likely with my family history. But I suppose I can't guarantee that a distracted driver will get the job done cleanly.

'Course, I used to say that I wanted to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 95...But that was before I fell in love and married a much younger woman who will likely outlive me.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-29-23, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

1) Realization of one's own mortality
2) Increased healing time after any injury as one ages
3) Understanding that while a "quick and fatal bike crash" might be an okay ending, anything short of that might make one's remaining years a living hell.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-29-23, 12:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Good points, all of them. Guess I've been spending too much time thinking about my 85-year old mother, who is basically an invalid with some dementia. Makes me (sort of) hope for a quick ending before I get to that point, which seems more and more likely with my family history. But I suppose I can't guarantee that a distracted driver will get the job done cleanly.

'Course, I used to say that I wanted to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 95...But that was before I fell in love and married a much younger woman who will likely outlive me.
I have long made the joke that my expectation is that when I'm 90, they'll invent a drug to stop the aging process, and I'll take it. 5 years later, they'll invent a drug to REVERSE the aging process, but it ONLY works if you've never taken the other one, and I'll be 90 forever, surrounded by 25 year olds.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-29-23, 12:14 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 397 Posts
I was 53 when I hit 150mph on a motorcycle.
Old 11-29-23, 12:14 PM
Koyote

I have long made the joke that my expectation is that when I'm 90, they'll invent a drug to stop the aging process, and I'll take it.
Then you'll have to change your sig line.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-29-23, 12:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I have long made the joke that my expectation is that when I'm 90, they'll invent a drug to stop the aging process, and I'll take it. 5 years later, they'll invent a drug to REVERSE the aging process, but it ONLY works if you've never taken the other one, and I'll be 90 forever, surrounded by 25 year olds.
I don't want to be 25 again. 35 was pretty good, though.
Old 11-29-23, 12:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I was in better shape at 25 than at 35, but I'm in better shape at 66 than at 35.

Old 11-29-23, 01:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,755 Posts
My balance is worse, my vision is worse, my bones are more brittle . . . .
Written by Ray Davies of the Kinks when he was 24 years old:

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-29-23, 01:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I was in better shape at 25 than at 35, but I'm in better shape at 66 than at 35.
My peak was 33-35. I was also less-dumb at 35, than 25.
Old 11-29-23, 07:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8371 Post(s)
Liked 9,222 Times in 4,545 Posts
I wouldn't mind being 55 again, except for the having to work part.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.