Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 09:40 AM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts
Hope to get into fitness/endurance rides on weekends also, but no, I don’t see any advantage to tubeless for what I’m planning.
Old 05-17-24, 09:53 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 258 Posts
Interesting info about the kickstand clamping. Makes me realize that I probably overtightend the center mount kickstand on my aluminum gravel bike.

I think it's great that MikeDeason is learning a lot from this thread, even if he is not following a lot of the advice or seems to be prioritizing the wrong things for his stated use.

For example, with the tire type question, he has decided to go to extra expense and trouble to go back to tubed "to make it easier". However, by doing so, he has decided to fix flats at the roadside rather than add sealant at his leisure. Many other similar decisions. Yes, the Marathon tire will allow flats less often than a cheaper tire, but it's also likely heavier and will have less volume than the larger 700x40 tubeless, so the ride will be rougher.

Still, we make our own decisions. The thread has been useful to him even if not in the way you all envisioned. He can't take EVERYONE's advice, right?
Old 05-17-24, 10:21 AM
MikeDeason

The reported horrible wet performance of the included tire also contributed to the swap. Riding to work rain, shine or snow.
Old 05-17-24, 10:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,925 Posts
What is the horrible tire, or is that a secret as well?
Old 05-17-24, 10:41 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
The reported horrible wet performance of the included tire also contributed to the swap. Riding to work rain, shine or snow.
Don't know where you are, but if your local overnight lows are consistently well below zero, you will want studded tires to ride to work in the winter. Or at minimum a winter-specific compound - same as your car.
Old 05-17-24, 11:32 AM
MikeDeason

City heat plus Salt salt and more salt on roads and designated bike lanes I ride. It’s slush or water almost always and if it’s not that means snowmageddon and I’m staying home.

not sure about salt and cf but I plan on gentle pressure wash within a few days after salt stains at a self serve car wash.

Last edited by MikeDeason; 05-17-24 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 12:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7711 Post(s)
Liked 3,642 Times in 1,915 Posts
Did a lot of year-'round commuting, always found places to prop up my bike .... particularly when traveling with gear, trusting a kickstand and a little friction to keep everything from crashing over never thrilled me. I have always been able to lean a bike somewhere secure, and a bungee or lock made it secure against gravity.

I'd probably go tubeless if I was riding daily, just because I used to get so many flats riding in urban environments, where road waste and accident debris seems to get swept up ... into the bike lanes. ("The roads around here glitter like diamonds!" "Well, more like Corona and Miller .... ") With frequent rides, I would probably just add sealant once a month or so and dismount, clean, and reseal twice a year ... as opposed to some rides where I got three flats in several miles, or three flats in six days of riding or the wonderful "Grab the bike to head out and see that the rear tire has deflated overnight ..... pump it up and ride and hope to get all the way to work, or change it and be late?"

However .... I always used tubes, and I survived. You likely will too.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the actual Chosen One.
Old 05-17-24, 01:36 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 150 Posts
Since you’re locked into this one, I hope it works out.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-17-24, 01:54 PM
MikeDeason

Yea. Super pumped about this bike.

I’ll be sure to post pics. Interested to see the peanut gallery’s verdict.
Old 05-17-24, 02:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

There used to be a poster here called Jim_from_Boston (not sure where he rode ... ) who did the serious wintry commute on a Trek of some variety with mid-sized studded tires ... not even 40s or 50s .... Pretty sure his bike was carbon, and I know Mass salts the snot out of its roads (or used to .... ) He might still be lurking but I doubt it. He could give you some all-weather tips, possibly (of course, you might not need them ... you already do the ride.)
Old 05-22-24, 07:28 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

City heat plus Salt salt and more salt on roads and designated bike lanes I ride. It’s slush or water almost always and if it’s not that means snowmageddon and I’m staying home.

not sure about salt and cf but I plan on gentle pressure wash within a few days after salt stains at a self serve car wash.
Again, you haven't shared where you are, but loads of salt here too - but sun causes asphalt/concrete to warm, melt out of the bottom of the snowbanks in the afternoon, which then runs across the bike lane / side of road, freezes hard overnight after it has washed away the salt, and is slick ice in the morning.

I just use 35mm studded Schwalbe tires. A little slower, but no crashing.
Old 05-22-24, 12:26 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Viich
Again, you haven't shared where you are, but loads of salt here too - but sun causes asphalt/concrete to warm, melt out of the bottom of the snowbanks in the afternoon, which then runs across the bike lane / side of road, freezes hard overnight after it has washed away the salt, and is slick ice in the morning.

I just use 35mm studded Schwalbe tires. A little slower, but no crashing.
That was a killer when I lived up north---that super-slick layer of ice underneath the snow or even exposed .... black ice, Zero traction, sudden introduction to pavement for your hips and elbows, There were no studded bike tires back then (though some hardcore guys made their own.) Kids nowadays have it so easy.

But yeah, everyone I know who commutes in winter recommends studs for icy roads,. Never heard of much trouble from salt, but crashing is always an issue.
Old 05-22-24, 02:47 PM
MikeDeason

I’m in Toronto suburbia coming into the core. Rarely is there ice due to the massive amount of salting. I do like the idea of studded but I feel a good wet weather tire might perform better on the bike lanes I take.
Old 05-22-24, 07:27 PM
Viich
Hack

I’m in Toronto suburbia coming into the core. Rarely is there ice due to the massive amount of salting. I do like the idea of studded but I feel a good wet weather tire might perform better on the bike lanes I take.
I'm in Ottawa - it's consistently a little colder, but I can almost guarantee that you will encounter ice though the winter. It's not about the average conditions, it's about the worst. If you consistently have two-five 3m long sections that ice over in the mornings on your whole commute you'll want the studded tire. The Schwalbe winter and marathon winter are great tires, actually don't roll that badly.
Old 05-22-24, 07:54 PM
MikeDeason

“a little colder” is an understatement. Ottawa gets brutally cold. I can see re freezing occurring.

We rarely hit Ottawa temps in Toronto, especially near the core.

but this marathon winters do look nice and if they save me from going down once they’re worth it. Will give them a go this winter.
Likes For MikeDeason: