Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike Radar

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 02:10 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,182 Times in 3,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
if the radars could determine make of vehicles, that'd be futuristic!
A camera based system could potentially do that. They can certainly detect different vehicle types, which could be useful.
Old 05-30-24, 11:00 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Liked 192 Times in 125 Posts
Update on my Varia radar (from my perspective) after a few rides in San Diego and week long tour of Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyons.

1. As we already knew, there is no side to side sensing capability.
2. The unit last ~5-6 hours, depending on the amount of traffic.
3. In heavily trafficked areas, it is an annoying nuisance.
4. It is very helpful in low traffic areas and for overtaking traffic that may be changing lanes to the right for an intersection, freeway onramp, etc.
5. It is very sensitive, occasionally picking up another bicycle and doesn't miss motorcycles.
6. If using the Varia app, it does highlight a warning if the traffic is approaching at a high rate of speed (I don't know what speed triggers that).
7. The bluetooth connection drops out about once per hour on my road bike (single) but never did on our tandem ride of the canyons last week.
8. When the bluetooth connection drops out, there is no audible warning.
9. The bluetooth connection will reestablish itself on my Wahoo Bolt bike computer, but not on the Varia app.
10. Siri does not link to it, which would be helpful for turning the audible alerts on and off depending on location.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-24, 02:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,552 Times in 1,873 Posts
I suspect the ~5-6 hours is either due to the bluetooth connection, or you have it on steady rather than flash, or both.