Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ideal Conditions For Speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ideal Conditions For Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 01:18 PM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Had an aortic valve replacement back in Feb, so I wasn't able to acclimate this year for the summer. In the past, I have been able to ride consistently in 95 plus with 80% humidity, but not this year. Rode at 55 this morning and it was great. Didn't go real fast, just enjoyed the morning.
Likes For Leadrunner:
Old 10-15-19, 11:32 AM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't see it discussed so I thought I through in my $0.02. There is a lowering in oxygen concentration with altitude, so most runners do best at sea level. However when biking, the air resistance is a factor, so higher altitude is better up to a point. Based on what I heard back in early 90's, 6000 ft altitude is the optimum, where wind resistance is down, but oxygen concentration is not down too much. East of Albuquerque, south of Moriarity is a 40 KM TT course many national records have been set on, its at this altitude. I don't think you can use you PR's on a one way course, it needs to be out and back, or a loop, so wind is some what canceled out. I'd look up national 40 km time records and see what conditions they were set under.
Old 10-15-19, 03:08 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
I didn't see it discussed so I thought I through in my $0.02. There is a lowering in oxygen concentration with altitude, so most runners do best at sea level. However when biking, the air resistance is a factor, so higher altitude is better up to a point. Based on what I heard back in early 90's, 6000 ft altitude is the optimum, where wind resistance is down, but oxygen concentration is not down too much. East of Albuquerque, south of Moriarity is a 40 KM TT course many national records have been set on, its at this altitude. I don't think you can use you PR's on a one way course, it needs to be out and back, or a loop, so wind is some what canceled out. I'd look up national 40 km time records and see what conditions they were set under.
And the HPV (human powered vehicle) record attempts are in Battle Mountain NV, in September. Altitude: 4500 ft.

That's a fun event to watch (I watch the youtube highlights, I am going to try to go for the last couple days of the event next year).
Old 10-15-19, 03:14 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Being at the top of this road.

That is my idea condition for speed.

I don't care what temperature it is. I bet I'm going to go REALLY fast no matter what.

Old 10-15-19, 03:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Warm weather, high humidity, low pressure. Also I'm pretty sure that I see lower rolling resistance on damp roads.