Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Raleigh

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thoughts on Raleigh

Old 10-23-19, 03:31 PM
Butch5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on Raleigh

What are your thoughts on Raleigh bikes. I am considering the Raleigh Route 2 but I have no experience with Raleigh and I can't find and reviews on YouTube. I am also considering the Trek Dual Sport 2. The two aren't that much different.
Old 10-23-19, 10:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Butch5
What are your thoughts on Raleigh bikes..
Used to be a local company, building bikes locally, that people wanted. Now all gone, just a mumsy brand name slapped onto random east-asian bikes.
Old 10-24-19, 03:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Raleigh is being used on bikes that have good specs for the money. I can't really speak to the differences between the two bikes, but I don't think the brand name is that important.
Old 10-24-19, 04:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,386 Times in 2,733 Posts
I bought a Raleigh Tamland gravel bike a couple of years ago and found it to be a very nice bike, especially for the price. However, when I decided gravel wasn't for me, I learned that it had virtually no resale value. That may or may not matter to you. You also may want to think about whether you need a heavy suspension fork on a hybrid. I don't see the point.
Old 10-24-19, 05:25 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
What are your thoughts on Raleigh bikes. I am considering the Raleigh Route 2 but I have no experience with Raleigh and I can't find and reviews on YouTube. I am also considering the Trek Dual Sport 2. The two aren't that much different.
I got a raleigh Tamland 1 two years ago. I got it for more than half off normal price so it was two hard to pass up. It’s been a solid bike. It’s a bit heavy but overall good.
Old 10-24-19, 05:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
How will you use this bike? Commuting? Weekend fun rides? MUP? Trail? Competition?
Old 10-24-19, 06:10 AM
Butch5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I plan to use the bike for exercise and some light trail use. They're really more dirt roads than trails.
Old 10-24-19, 07:37 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If you aren't familiar with the brand Raleigh then you should not be under any illusion that you are familiar with bike industry in general.

It's one of the oldest and most well known brands in the world. Yes, the company is merely an importer of Asian bikes now, as opposed to eons ago when they were mass produced in Nottingham, England, but that's true of almost every bike company, and in the case of Raleigh, the Asian made bikes are much nicer than the English made ones - part of that is just the technology that has come in the interim ~30 years, but even in the 70s and 80s, Raleighs were kind of dinosaurs compared to many other brands.

Many of the bikes with the Raleigh name today are clearly 'inspired' by Raleigh of old, 'road sport' and city bikes, some even have the classic names - Superbe (I had a 1963 Raleigh superbe that I loved), and Carlton. It might depend on where in the world you are because the Raleigh name was previously owned by different companies in different regions.

I found the Route2 on Raleigh Canada's website and it looks fine, but I personally don't like hybrids and road-centric bike with suspension forks. Although the SR Suntour one on the Route is probably pretty decent. If you have the option, look at the Detour models... similar intent but with a rigid fork for lighter weight and less maintenance.
Old 10-24-19, 07:38 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Reply2: Just saw your comment that you will be using the bike primarily on dirt tracks/roads... my comment about suspension forks stands. For that type of riding (which is my primary type of riding too) I don't think you need a suspension fork.
Old 10-24-19, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If you aren't familiar with the brand Raleigh then you should not be under any illusion that you are familiar with bike industry in general.

It's one of the oldest and most well known brands in the world. Yes, the company is merely an importer of Asian bikes now, as opposed to eons ago when they were mass produced in Nottingham, England, but that's true of almost every bike company, and in the case of Raleigh, the Asian made bikes are much nicer than the English made ones - part of that is just the technology that has come in the interim ~30 years, but even in the 70s and 80s, Raleighs were kind of dinosaurs compared to many other brands.

Many of the bikes with the Raleigh name today are clearly 'inspired' by Raleigh of old, 'road sport' and city bikes, some even have the classic names - Superbe (I had a 1963 Raleigh superbe that I loved), and Carlton. It might depend on where in the world you are because the Raleigh name was previously owned by different companies in different regions.

I found the Route2 on Raleigh Canada's website and it looks fine, but I personally don't like hybrids and road-centric bike with suspension forks. Although the SR Suntour one on the Route is probably pretty decent. If you have the option, look at the Detour models... similar intent but with a rigid fork for lighter weight and less maintenance.
Agree on the Detour--I bought one of those for my son.

My impression is there were several years in the previous decade or so where the Raleigh name was being slapped on some pretty crappy bikes, but that they've started carving a niche for themselves as a budget-conscious bike store brand.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-24-19, 09:12 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I own a Raleigh Retroglide IE, a good entry level ebike for the prices. The bike is stiff when going over bumps or pot holes. I have installed a suspension seat post. My first ebike, I've replaced the chain after 1500 miles. I commute about four times a week at 24 miles round trip. I'm considering getting a Electra Townie Go 8i next year. To cut out the derailer.
Old 10-24-19, 12:07 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Raleigh was just until recently a staple at many LBS's. They've changed their marketing to Amazon sales now. Same bikes, but no pro assembly. Just so you know, bikes shipped to your door in a carton are subject to abuse from the chain of carriers that transport the bike. They lay the boxes flat and distort wheels, scratch frames, etc.
Anyone can put the bike together, but with my experience, the bearings are usually too tight, steerer tubes and seat tubes aften need honed, spokes need adjustment, etc.
Just keep it in mind. It's not a terrible bike, it's just now the consumer's responsibility to make it right.
Old 10-25-19, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by restlessswind
Raleigh was just until recently a staple at many LBS's. They've changed their marketing to Amazon sales now. Same bikes, but no pro assembly. Just so you know, bikes shipped to your door in a carton are subject to abuse from the chain of carriers that transport the bike. They lay the boxes flat and distort wheels, scratch frames, etc.
Anyone can put the bike together, but with my experience, the bearings are usually too tight, steerer tubes and seat tubes aften need honed, spokes need adjustment, etc.
Just keep it in mind. It's not a terrible bike, it's just now the consumer's responsibility to make it right.
Around New England, it's a mixed strategy. Several lbs in the Boston area carry Raleigh, and you can order assembled bikes off the Raleigh website for pickup at the stores.
Old 10-25-19, 01:25 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind

Yeah, Raleigh changed their focus once again about 2 years ago. The Tamland, Willard, Rokker were great bikes - but that designer now has his own brand. Today's Raleigh is not that company any more.

I have a friend who has a mobile repair shop. He has the contract to build Raleigh bikes when they are shipped and delivered (for people who need that). Those 3 bikes mentioned above often seemed to be delivered with bent derailer hangers - that's not too good...
Old 10-25-19, 07:25 PM
Butch5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have a question though. It seems that a lot of people don't like suspension forks. Is this just because of the weight or is it that a ridge fork is just better?
Old 10-25-19, 08:44 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have a question though. It seems that a lot of people don't like suspension forks. Is this just because of the weight or is it that a ridge fork is just better?
Suspension forks are great, if you need it, like on a serious downhill bike, or something like that. On other applications though, they really are not necessary, and they are heavy, unnecessarily complex for the application, and rob energy.
Old 10-26-19, 04:42 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Butch5.....for your use a rigid fork is all you really need. The $$ saved on a "cheap" fork can be used towards better components, accessories, etc.
At your price point, I don't think one Brand name is really better than another. You're better off basing your choice on colour and fit......

Be sure to post a pic of your bike!
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 10-26-19, 09:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A note about Raleigh -- there are rumors that you can get a deal on Raleigh and Diamondback bikes if your employer is signed up for their employee discount program, which is apparently quite widespread.
Old 10-28-19, 05:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

I had a Raleigh cross bike that was painted in that kind of Army green (Olive Drab). I liked it a lot. I ended up giving it to my son because he needed a bike and I was hot for a Colnago World Cup CX. Found a pic.

Last edited by bruce19; 10-28-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-13-19, 04:58 PM
tclong03

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, Raleigh changed their focus once again about 2 years ago. The Tamland, Willard, Rokker were great bikes - but that designer now has his own brand. Today's Raleigh is not that company any more.

I have a friend who has a mobile repair shop. He has the contract to build Raleigh bikes when they are shipped and delivered (for people who need that). Those 3 bikes mentioned above often seemed to be delivered with bent derailer hangers - that's not too good...
So who was the designer' and what is the brand he has now?
Old 11-13-19, 05:39 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tclong03
So who was the designer' and what is the brand he has now?
His name is mark, and his brand is Noble bikes

https://www.noble-bikes.com/