Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ToLB lost rider

Very lost rider in Tour of Long Beach:

I'm out on a solo run, not riding.
Yesterday, around 11:30 out on CCRT near Willow, I'm asked for directions by a solo female rider. I'm running north but she is waiting for me. I figure she needs a bearing on location, and sure enough she asks, `which way does the Metric go from here?`

Since its a run for me, the ToLB is not my concern, but now I realize that she may be in trouble and seriously off course. After hearing a few details of where she has been, I advise here to double back to PCH and then continue back towards Ocean Blvd.

So not only was she off the SGRT, but she had gone 6 miles off course, and will cost herself 12 miles to get back on course. The inbound, return trip does not use the SGRT.

Today, after looking over the Metric map, I see that the outbound course uses the SGRT, so it seems she doubled back onto the SGRT instead of skipping it.

Wow, hope she made it back to her car.

BTW, I had a good run. Did 5.2 miles of walk/run and had no problems with pain.
Old 05-12-19, 10:53 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I'm not 100% sure of where she got turned around but I do remember that in previous years they had signs and people at the end of SGRT in Seal Beach directing everyone where to go. It sounds like maybe she only got to PCH, became confused and turned around. Another 1/2 mile and she would have made it to the Seal Beach/SGRT direction point.
Old 05-12-19, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I got totally lost on the first organized event ride I ever did. How? I started following a couple of people who started following the marks from a previous event. The last mark directed us into a parking lot with the words "Congratulation! You made it!" painted on the ground. We were way off course in the suburbs. Fortunately, it was along a road that my mom used to drive to take me to my job as a camp counselor BITB, so I knew how to get back to the city, but there was a lot of traffic. What was supposed to be a metric century ended up being something like 86 miles.

Lesson learned: Never assume the person in front of you knows where they are going.
Old 05-12-19, 03:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
The wife and I had a close call once. First ride of the season for her and I got sick at the hotel the night before. We decided to gut it out and do what we came there for. We got to about the 13 mile marker and we were totally spent. On top of being sick and out of shape, we weren't expecting the hills to be as bad as they were. At mile 13 my wife stopped, got off her bike and swore she could go forward no further. I was so sick, when she said that I almost jumped for joy. I wanted to stop for the last 4 miles but kept going on because of her.

Well, we had left almost last since we were going to do a short mileage ride so there weren't really a lot of people behind us. We decided to turn back but it seemed like almost every intersection we came to we had to question whether we were supposed to make a turn or keep straight. I had been so sick that I wasn't paying close attention as to the route and neither was she. Fortunately we ended up making all the correct turns but I have to tell you I wasn't too happy with the idea of feeling like I did, being sick, tired and lost. Thank god we got back to the starting location. We packed up and headed home.
Old 05-14-19, 12:15 PM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I started from Sunset Beach (Warner & PCH) around 8 AM and followed the ToB century route this year. There seemed to be less riders. There was a strong headwind from PCH at Laguna Beach to Sunset after 12 PM. I was unable to find and form a large group to draft.