Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Water Source at Mt. Baldy Village?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 06-12-19, 03:55 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I rode Glendora Mountain Road/Ridge Road yesterday and arrived at the village at 8:00 am. Due to the heat, even that early, I used up more water than normal. I have two 24 ounce bottles, and fortunately, decided to ration my supply on the way out in case I couldn't refill at the village. I tried the restaurant, ranger station/visitor center area, and the fire station. Everywhere I went was either closed or the water was shut off. I finally gave up as I realized it was getting warmer the longer I spent wandering around.

I finished the ride, but did not feel that great throughout since I did not take in the amount of water I needed. This was my third time doing this ride, and water previously had not been an issue as it had been much cooler. When I got home I immediately ordered two 33 ounce bottles, which will help. I'm not the fastest, so I am out there longer than most. Other than wearing a camelbak or knocking on doors, any tips would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-19, 04:04 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
wow...turned off/out. they recently installed (überkudos btw) a water bottle refueling station on the outside wall of the restaurant which i used in march. have usually used the water source across the street from the resto at the post office. have never found that post office fountain turned off on my 15-20 visits over the last two decades. there is nothing available up gmr (maybe on grr down in east fork but I wouldn’t count on it). have hit multiple angeles natl forest campgrounds during the week in the last 3 months and the water has been off. yday at crystal lake across from the store, the fountain was off but the lower spigot was working.**edit**have encountered exact same experience at red box multiple times. clear creek farther west has always been a reliable water source-for me. yrmv.

on the hot mountain days, i’m wearing a bandana vs a cap. north of mt. baldy village, there is a stream crossing. i have done a foot soak and bandana wetting and wearing there (sometimes a base layer + jersey as well) to cool down. helps a lot. done the same at east fork, along stretches of the 39 and along angeles crest highway (ach/ca hwy 2).

riding along ach yday, stopped in search of water at the grassy hollow campground east of vincent gap. there were multiple gallon jugs of water labeled “pct” for the pacific crest trail hikers. someone’s filling them up for the hikers, aware that campground water is shut off. guessing the rangers but it could be locals or a local biz. it wasn’t a hidden water cache.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-12-19 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added red box notes
Old 06-12-19, 04:37 PM
stilllearning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, that helps. I did not see a spigot outside the restaurant, just tried to go inside. I also did not look around the post office. My wife says I don't look for things very well (she's correct). I will definitely pay closer attention to them next week. Thank you!
Old 06-12-19, 04:46 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yes I've always been able to fill up at the post office or the lodge. The lodge's bottle filling station is very thoughtful and appreciated, so I usually try to buy a roll, coffee or something from them.
Old 06-12-19, 05:13 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yes I've always been able to fill up at the post office or the lodge. The lodge's bottle filling station is very thoughtful and appreciated, so I usually try to buy a roll, coffee or something from them.
agreed. granted, it probably saved them multiple people tromping in daily in search of but it’s still a great addition. i have never actually stopped there to grub but after i saw that, i will next time in the area. they were a little task-saturated last time i was up there for the amgen toc a few week ago.
Old 06-12-19, 05:15 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

the post office fountain is in the shade under the tree in front of the post office. it’s almost impossible to spot it riding past unless someone is filling up at the time.
Old 06-12-19, 05:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
At the south end of the lodge is a vending machine that carries sports drinks and water. Take some single $.
Old 06-12-19, 06:41 PM
stilllearning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
At the south end of the lodge is a vending machine that carries sports drinks and water. Take some single $.
Thank you everyone for the details on where the water is located, and I did see the vending machine, but didn't take a close look at it. Good to know that is also an option and will definitely bring some money next time just in case.
Old 06-13-19, 12:04 PM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
the post office fountain is in the shade under the tree in front of the post office. it’s almost impossible to spot it riding past unless someone is filling up at the time.
The Baldly Village Post Office fountain has been on and off in the past year. To be exact, 3 out ~8 times it was off last year.
Old 06-16-19, 01:34 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
The restaurant has a hose.

Was it not working?
Old 06-22-19, 02:17 PM
stilllearning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4rrest
The restaurant has a hose.

Was it not working?
Went up Thursday and paid better attention to details this time. I found the hose and it was working. Thanks, again, for the tips!