Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire inflation, know by hand...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire inflation, know by hand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 02:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
I've got an air compressor in the garage, 6.5hp Belt Drive 60gal upright... I use my floor pump anyway...
You're a real cyclist, and I know the allure of cycling-specific equipment. To me it's a no-brainer the other way.

On the other question we should probably stress to OP that it doesn't really matter if his 25c tire pressure is 80-90 pounds instead of 100-115. Pinch flats are likely at lower pressures like 50-80, and the difference in rolling resistance is small between 80 and 115. This is something that many cyclists will deny and argue but ... https://velochimp.com/2006/11/21/rolling-resistance/ is typical when it has been tested.
Old 07-28-11, 02:53 PM
Ikarios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
DO not get a joe blow 2 max by topeak or any pump with a large barrel, or you will be dangling your body over the pump to get the air in the tire, get a high pressure pump with a narrow barrel.

some of my tires feel harder than others at the same psi, now we start getting into tire ride quality and compliance aka not all tires are made equal and may have different optimum pressures.
I understand the physics behind a thinner barrel pump, but in all honestly it takes me about five seconds to pump up my 700x23c tires to 100PSI using a $30 Joe Blow, and I'm not a particularly strong or heavy person. I think it's a pretty nice pump for the price, unless you can get a narrow barrel pump for around the same price and quality.
Old 07-28-11, 02:56 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You're a real cyclist, and I know the allure of cycling-specific equipment. To me it's a no-brainer the other way.
i just happen to keep my floor pump right next to my bike... by the time I go to the other side of the garage, get the airchuck from the tool box, run the hose over and then put everything back, well, its just less time for me to use the floor pump since its right there... I don't disagree that it could be much easier using the compressor, the actual act of putting in the air is so fast its scary... its everything else getting to that point that makes it less convenient for me... not always true for everyone else...
Old 07-28-11, 03:02 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ikarios
I understand the physics behind a thinner barrel pump, but in all honestly it takes me about five seconds to pump up my 700x23c tires to 100PSI using a $30 Joe Blow, and I'm not a particularly strong or heavy person. I think it's a pretty nice pump for the price, unless you can get a narrow barrel pump for around the same price and quality.
how much do you weigh?
Old 07-28-11, 03:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by koke
My question is, is there a "feel" by touching and pinching with my fingers that's somewhat acurate???
{snip**
Also, my mini pump says 80 psi max, and i think that road tires require at least 100 psi, do you think that the mini pump can get them to 100 psi???
I could never get the hang of pinching tires to determine whether there's enough air in 'em but by leaning on the saddle and bars and putting practically all my weight on the bike I can tell if my 25s are good to go by looking at tire sidewall deflection.

I'd get a floor pump if I were you. I can get by on 25s @ 80 psi but I like to put about 95 front/ 105 rear. Plus, using a mini pump every couple days gets old REALLY quickly.
Old 07-28-11, 03:13 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Buy a frame pump (not a mini) that turns into a floor pump . . . really!
We us a Topeak MasterBlaster (either the road or mt. version) and can easily pump up our tandem tires to 120lbs. Pump fits on our tandem's boob tube and converts from a regular-looking pump to a T-handle and foot rest.
Our 700x25 tires takes 120 easy pumps and will get you 120 lbs! Also has a version that has an inline pressure indicator.
Almost a pleasure to have a flat!
Old 07-28-11, 03:21 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Joe blow sprint works for me a 155 lb. Easy peasy. So easy, I don't bother using compressed air from my air compressor, as others have mentioned.
Old 07-28-11, 03:21 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The correct answer is to use your shop compressor. 150psi out to do it, since most car tires require 60psi but a on a bike, you only have two. If you bounce the wheel on the ground from about chest height, it should bounce back to at least waist height.
Old 07-28-11, 03:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
I put about 35 in my car tires. YMMV.
Old 07-28-11, 03:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
OK OK!!! i get it!!! GET A FLOOR PUMP!!! hahahaha
Yes.

Don't pay too much attention to these silly boys, just get a floor pump with a gauge and you are set. I personally think the ones that are presta-specific will work best but get what fits your budget/preference. Most folks here swear by the Lezyne line but they are a bit pricey.
Old 07-28-11, 03:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Our club had someone on their first group ride who always went by feel. The problem was, as the tubes lost pressure so gradually over the course of 3 months, this person didn't notice because it was always about the same as it was a few days earlier. The tires were down to about 50 psi by the time we were there to remedy the situation.

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
but in all cases get one with a guage and one that is mounted at the handle not the bottom.
Originally Posted by bonz50
why is that??
Yes, why is that? Although easier to read, the ones with the gauge at the top have more hose connections to come loose.
Old 07-28-11, 03:52 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just go get a floorpump, thats my advice.....unless....was that mentioned earlier?

I have seen some specialized floor pumps with a guage at my LBS for $25. it will be worth the investment and will last you for a looooong time.
Old 07-28-11, 03:56 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I put about 35 in my car tires. YMMV.
I see what you did there.
Old 07-28-11, 03:58 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know when fixing a flat I simply don't have the time to inflate my tires to 100psi. I mean, we're talking about HUNDREDS of strokes. I got to 60psi once (hand pump with gauge) and my arms were beat.
Old 07-28-11, 04:02 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by twobadfish
I know when fixing a flat I simply don't have the time to inflate my tires to 100psi. I mean, we're talking about HUNDREDS of strokes. I got to 60psi once (hand pump with gauge) and my arms were beat.
This is exactly why I carry CO2. The pump is only there for loaning to others and for if I run out of cartridges, just so I can limp home.
Old 07-28-11, 04:03 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
This is exactly why I carry CO2. The pump is only there for loaning to others and for if I run out of cartridges, just so I can limp home.
Same. Two cartridges, two tubes, and one pump (mostly for the gauge).
Old 07-28-11, 04:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by twobadfish
Same. Two cartridges, two tubes, and one pump (mostly for the gauge).
This reminded me of something. When I flat on the road, I use the thumb test to compare with the other tire to get "close enough", but getting a double flat sucks in that reference, and is the only time I've ever wanted a gauge while out on the road.
Old 07-29-11, 06:46 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Besides a pump, buy tires. If the sidewalls are cracked and the tires worn where you can read recommended pressure, they might blow when you are riding.
Old 07-29-11, 11:02 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Another benefit of a good floor pump - you can just top-off the pressure before you ride. So when I put my pump on the valve, I start pumping, and the gauage goes to 95 after the valve opens. 2 pumps, and I'm at 110. Done.

Old 07-30-11, 11:27 PM
koke

Bikes: old KHS 12speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone!!!

So i just installed my new 700x25c slicks and new tubes!!! i wanted wider tires but the guy at the LBS told me that i needed to check if the frame had clearance, so i did and, no dice!!! the 25c fit just right anything wider would rub on the frame.

Also he had used floor pump that he used to inflate tires on bikes that customers brought, he told me that i could have it for 10 bucks!!! don't know the brand because it doesn't have any stickers or writing but the barrel is aluminium and it's in pretty good shape.

Everyone here was right, THERE IS NO HAY TO KNOW BY PINCH!!!! once i inflated to 120 psi (recommended psi on the tires) the tires were rock solid!!!!!!!!!!! even at 80-90 psi there is no way of distinguishing if they are above 100 psi!!!

Finally took it out, THE BIKE FLIES!!!!!!!!! (keep in mind that i used to ride MTB for recreation, so to me this thing feels super fast!!!)

I also put some new bar tape and front and rear lights!!! i think im in love with my bike!!!!

cheers!!!
Old 07-30-11, 11:44 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting the $25 floor pump was one of the best purchases for my bike. I started off by feel also, only to find out years later I was riding at 50 - 60 psi. Now I don't need to second guess my tire pressure, and check it before each ride which takes all of 30 seconds.

When I get a flat, I can get by from feel, though but only because I ride at 90/80 psi and can get close to that without a gauge. If you ride 100+ psi it'll be hard to feel the difference between say 100 and 110.
Old 07-31-11, 12:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

120 psi (recommended psi on the tires)
Are you sure that wasn't max pressure? They're not the same. fwiw I weigh 180 right now and run 105 psi in the back and 95 psi in the front of my 25mm tires. You might be making your ride harsher than you need to. Somewhere on this forum are various guides for tire pressure based on tire size and weight.
Old 08-01-11, 01:01 AM
koke

Bikes: old KHS 12speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah it says 120 psi max on the tires, i figured if that's what it says that's what it needs, but i don't know if it's the correct psi for me, i don't know my exact weight but it's around 220 lbs, i'm not fat (but i'm not in excellent shape either) i'm 6' tall and i used to hit the gym a lot, now i'm trying to loose some bulk and get a flat stomach.

So, it's 700x25c and i'm around 220lbs, what do you guys recommend for PSI's???
Old 08-01-11, 07:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

For that weight, I'd try 105 in the front and 115 in the rear. If you start getting pinch flats, go a little higher.
Old 08-01-11, 07:50 AM
Ikarios

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
how much do you weigh?
170lbs, I'm 5'10", so about average (okay, maybe a *little* heavy). Most my weight is in my legs, though. People used to call me "Thunderthighs" ;_;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.