Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

your pet peeves on cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

your pet peeves on cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 11:44 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Old 07-28-11, 12:47 PM
bigbadwullf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And the ones complaining about lawyers are probably the ones keeping the party of lawyers in office...
Old 07-28-11, 12:52 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I was hunting for the harvey levin one, but couldn't find it. I'd say my peeve is anyone without common sense though, that includes, motorists, pedestrians, and other cyclists.. not exactly hard for both the jogger and the cyclist to move over a little, or for a car to stay away from the inside line during this.
Old 07-28-11, 01:04 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes while driving I judge how people drive while imagining cyclists in the shoulder/edge of lane at all times. And sometimes I find myself thinking "I'm going to teach these idiots to consider cyclists when I ride in tomorrow"... then I think "Wait, I'm not a scumbag"... and try to think about how it was before I ever started cycling. I NEVER thought about cyclists and never knew all the little nuances we consider on a consistent basis.
Old 07-28-11, 01:42 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weed whackers! They might as well call them gravel throwers.
Old 07-28-11, 03:30 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
Sometimes while driving I judge how people drive while imagining cyclists in the shoulder/edge of lane at all times. And sometimes I find myself thinking "I'm going to teach these idiots to consider cyclists when I ride in tomorrow"... then I think "Wait, I'm not a scumbag"... and try to think about how it was before I ever started cycling. I NEVER thought about cyclists and never knew all the little nuances we consider on a consistent basis.
Good post.

I have spent so much time working in jobs where my continued survival depended on a level of situational awareness most people can't comprehend, much less attain (I do note that it takes training and guidance to get there), I forget most people in this country go through their lives with their eyes tightly closed from cradle to grave. They don't notice, and if they do, they don't even know how to process the information correctly. They just use their eyes to keep from bumping into things and to watch Internet pr0n.

Jbtute, I have archived your comments on my computer. Pray you never get into legal trouble, because I will happily send that post to the prosecutor as evidence of premeditation. "Two close calls? Decided you weren't going to give way?" So because YOU decided you were going to draw a line in the sand, this gives you the RIGHT to assault people without warning? Try again.

Are you a lawyer or a banker?
Old 07-28-11, 05:05 PM
nathan.johnson

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Que sera sera.
Old 07-28-11, 05:28 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cest la vie
Old 07-28-11, 06:27 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
Old 07-28-11, 06:41 PM
BlueRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overly aggressive group riders on the multi-use paths. They come up behind you shouting, fly past kids and families, and have this attitude that the world should move out of their way. Seriously, if they need to train that hard, they should get on the road with the cars and quit being wusses.
Old 07-28-11, 07:35 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by jbtute
In either event these are malum prohibitum issues and would not necessarily determine the outcome of a civil suit regarding a ped/ped collision. If they were determinative the section specifically creating a duty of care in the vehicle driver is likely the "winner". Cyclists hits runner on shoulder of road... how do you think that law suit turns out? I'll take the runner every time.
So, you'd choose to knock the cyclist over instead of taking action to avoid a collision because you can "get away with it". You might be an attorney but you aren't an ethical one!

Another example of a conflicting provision:
41-6a 1105 "A person operating a bicycle or a moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except when...reasonably necessary to avoid...pedestrians."
There is no "conflict". Drivers (and cyclists) have to take reasonable action to avoid collisions. Pedestrians have to take reasonable action to avoid collisions. Both parties have an independent responsibility to avoid collisions. You might be an attorney but you aren't a smart one!

If you read the thread from the beginning I said my pet peeve was cyclists not moving out 2 feet to go around runners on the shoulder.
This is annoying.

I have had two close calls this summer and have decided that I will not longer move for a biker. If you decided to play chicken... well we've already discussed it.
And you choose to break the law because you are annoyed!

I think we can agree that sidewalks should be used where available, although the same could be said of biking on sidewalks where legal to ride there.
It's generally illegal for adults ride on sidewalks.

Statistically I believe it is safer and it's easier on joints to run on asphalt than concrete surfaces - basically the same reason bikers use roads designed for automobiles.
No, it's generally illegal for cyclists to ride on sidewalks. And sidewalks are impractical for anything-but very slow cycling (sidewalks are not suitable for 20mph travel).

(Note that, as a rider or a driver, I move around pedestrians and runners. I don't care if they are in the road.)

The person who has the easiest means of moving out of the way generally has the responsibility to do so. If I'm sailing a sailboat I have a right of way over a power boat, but yield right of way to a row boat, who in turn yields the right of way to a swimmer. Cars generally go around bikers who should similarly go around runners. A seemingly simple concept that has been part of transportation norms for thousands of years seemingly has not been picked up by some cyclists. I'm not sure why.
There is no "right of way" in maritime law. The fundamental rule is that all captains of vessels take reasonable action to avoid a collision.

And the row boat is the "give way" vessel, not the sail boat!

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 08:15 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I have a misereable neck and have been back into cycling for 6 years or so. My core is so much stronger now so I can actually ride and look up at the same time. Anyhow..... I always remember coming accross a runner on a side road in Vermont most of the way through a 28 mile ride home. Very few cars and no real reason for him to be fearfull of an oncoming cyclist, but little did he know that I was tired and my neck hurt and that I was only looking at the 10-20 feet ahead. Two seperate times he needed to jump off the road and he was cussing up a storm each time. All I could say was "my bad". Don't judge, there are often reasons not understood. Stepping off the road while running does not seem to be asking too much. I used to run a lot so I've some empathy.
Old 07-29-11, 04:29 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Cyclists who don't move over for runners. Yes, runners run against traffic often in the same area of the shoulder as a bike rides in. If you're riding a bike, move over. Running is harder than cycling and moving over takes almost no effort on the part of the biker. I will knock you off your bike if I'm running and we play "chicken". For the life of me I can't figure out why cyclists haven't figured this out.
THIS!! A bicycle is a vehicle. If you are running in a bike lane, you may as well move over a little more and run with the cars. Get on a sidewalk where you belong. Its a pedestrian thing. Use it. That is after all what you are even though you are doing it at a slightly faster pace. Cripes! Drivers don't want us on the roads and joggers don't want us there either... and you argue a pedestrian is less maneuverable than a cyclist? Thats funny. Go ahead, knock me off but be prepared for a world of hurt following. What a doosh.

Damn, should have read the rest of the thread. Late to the party but the sentiment remains unchanged. A lawyer.. Run your pansy ass over to Warren Jeffs. I hear he needs a new one.

Last edited by jdon; 07-29-11 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-29-11, 09:14 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
So, you'd choose to knock the cyclist over instead of taking action to avoid a collision because you can "get away with it". You might be an attorney but you aren't an ethical one!

I think he's already established what he is.
Old 07-29-11, 11:57 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are simple:

1. People of any age riding at night without lights
2. When my wife rides down the center lane not paying attention to her surroundings and blocking traffic.
3. People who hog the bike rack by parking sideways.
4. Bikes without kickstands. Yes I get you have a $2000 road bike but why lean that same bike against the bricks and scratch the paint? Your nor Lane armstrong, your local club ride isn't the TDF, you can live with the extra pound of a kickstand. (yes I understand many won't agree with this)
Old 07-30-11, 12:51 AM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok all. I did get some taste of my own medicine back at me for that one quote i said of saying how i hate people who walk their bikes.

I was one of them the otherday. But my bike was broken. Middle chain ring broke while riding . And i walked my bike to a safe area to fix it. so sorry to all the bike walkers out there.
Old 07-30-11, 06:31 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just about the only pet peeve that I have is ninja salmon.
Old 07-30-11, 10:06 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by worldtraveller
Ok all. I did get some taste of my own medicine back at me for that one quote i said of saying how i hate people who walk their bikes.

I was one of them the otherday. But my bike was broken. Middle chain ring broke while riding . And i walked my bike to a safe area to fix it. so sorry to all the bike walkers out there.
Pet peeve...people that break their middle chain rings then walk their bikes.
Old 07-30-11, 10:07 AM
BlueRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how you break the middle chain ring. I slammed my large chainring down on a log before which is one reason I got rid of it and replaced it with a bashguard. But how do you smash the middle one? Weird shaped rock?
Old 07-30-11, 12:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by HauntedMyst
4. Bikes without kickstands. Yes I get you have a $2000 road bike but why lean that same bike against the bricks and scratch the paint? Your nor Lane armstrong, your local club ride isn't the TDF, you can live with the extra pound of a kickstand. (yes I understand many won't agree with this)
??? If they are scratching the paint leaning the bike against a wall, they are doing it wrong.
Old 07-30-11, 02:59 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pedestrians walking their dogs, while wearing an ipod.
Old 07-30-11, 03:09 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, if I push them off their bike without just cause. Of course that scenario was completely of your creation.
Sadly it's not, but a recent case near Tacoma, Wa. . https://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime...ylink=misearch
Old 07-30-11, 07:11 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by worldtraveller
Tell us your pet peeves on cycling. While as being a cyclist or seeing others out there. or any weird laws in your area can be one. or how people behave.

Here are my lists

- people (non cyclists) but the people who just ride a bike sometimes who walk their bikes down the street for no reason, when u can ride and get where u need to faster

- when non cyclists - more so adults who ride their department store bike on wrong side of the road when u are riding there and u have to move over

- motorists who do know how to drive past a cyclist, instead follow behind you forever

- traffic lights and stop signs - in general really stupid to stop when there no traffic

- when new roads or any hwy etc is repaved but the shoulder where u ride your bike is never done and left as it was before

- running out of water

- not seeing any hot girls riding their bikes ever , lol

-bells on a bike, when u don't need a bell unless on a city bike path.

- people who do not move out of the way on a bike path when u are coming to them even after they know u are there

so those are some of mine, love to hear your lists
I fully agree with the highlighted ones. Also let's add:

Ninja cyclists
Salmon cyclists in general
Gutter bunnies/curb huggers
Red light runners
Bike lanes that are in the door zone
Narrow shoulders re-designated as bike lanes
Bike lanes that are "shoe horned" into roads as an afterthought/to appease the cycling community
Drivers who honk when there is no reason to honk
Drivers who buzz cyclists
Drivers who think that cyclists don't belong on the road
Old 07-30-11, 07:13 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cyclists who don't move over for runners. Yes, runners run against traffic often in the same area of the shoulder as a bike rides in. If you're riding a bike, move over. Running is harder than cycling and moving over takes almost no effort on the part of the biker. I will knock you off your bike if I'm running and we play "chicken". For the life of me I can't figure out why cyclists haven't figured this out.

Bikers who ride two abreast on narrow roads. Gives us all a bad name and may get you killed.

Cars that try to zip in front of you just to turn right and make you swerve around them.

Road Construction signs that force you out into traffic. They could place the signs a foot or two further out and give us room to go around them to the shoulder side. Would be safer for everyone.
If the road is too narrow to safely share with a car than riding two abreast is actually the safest thing to do as it discourages unsafe passing.
Old 07-30-11, 07:23 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
I was riding my bike to the LBS when I got a flat (second one that day) and had no more spare tubes. Had to walk the last 1/2 mile. My pet peeve? The guy that was judging me for walking my bike.

Every one of the pet peeves in the OP is ludicrous btw
If I see someone who is walking and pushing a bike I'll stop and see if they need help. Just today I was able to help a fellow cyclist inflate their wheel with my spare CO2 cart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.