Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Idiot cyclist sues

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Idiot cyclist sues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 12:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
This "idiot cyclist" is laughing all the way to the bank. Not such an idiot, is he?
Old 12-05-11, 06:15 PM
rwp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Agreed, but sadly given that thieves have successfully sued homeowners for loss of income when they've been injured while breaking into a home what do you expect?
The only such lawsuit that I've been able to find happened in Milwaulkee and it was thrown out of court. Do you have a link to any successful one?
Old 12-05-11, 08:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Seems to me that if someone hits a patch of ice and goes down, they were riding too fast for conditions. If going too fast for conditions resulted in an injury accident, they should have gotten a ticket for the infraction. That is separate from all other possible violations that may have happened.
Old 12-05-11, 10:30 PM
caphits

Bikes: 2006 DBR Podium 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy better have really gotten hurt.
Whenever I fall, I get back up as soon as I can, and go on my way. (Not that I really fall all that often.)
Old 12-05-11, 11:05 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caphits
This guy better have really gotten hurt.
Whenever I fall, I get back up as soon as I can, and go on my way. (Not that I really fall all that often.)
According to another story on this case he had direct medical expenses of about $10,000 and initially only sought to have the bar (which had pushed snow/ice/gravel onto the bike path) cover those costs. When the bar refused the lawyers got involved and the amounts escalated.
Old 12-06-11, 01:19 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rwp
The only such lawsuit that I've been able to find happened in Milwaulkee and it was thrown out of court. Do you have a link to any successful one?
Canada: “Crook wins damages for injury during theft”

Robber Sues the Store He Robbed I think that this is the case that you were referring to. If it is, it wasn't dismissed because the robber was injured during the commission of his crime, it was dismissed because the defendant couldn't afford to post the $10,000.00 bond.

George Hinnenkamp, Elderly Oregon Man, Has Car Stolen and Crashed--Is Now Being Sued by Folks Who Crashed In It Here is one with an interesting twist.

These are the ones that I came up with.
Old 12-06-11, 01:34 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I would hope that the bar's snow removal efforts obstructed or affected the surface of the MUP in some way. Otherwise, totally ridiculous suit.
Old 12-06-11, 01:44 AM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridiculous no matter what the circumstances. You ride your bike at night, in the winter, expect unfavorable conditions. I just can't agree with any other logic.

Even if snow somehow made it onto the MUP, so what? Welcome to the real world.
Old 12-06-11, 01:50 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Snow removal efforts performed or contracted by businesses should never block roads, sidewalks or MUPs, IMO.
Old 12-06-11, 02:43 AM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Snow removal efforts performed or contracted by businesses should never block roads, sidewalks or MUPs, IMO.
And that warrants a lawsuit? I mean I can understand after several complaints and documented issues that a serious injury finally occurred... but come on, he slipped - on ice - while riding his bicycle at night.
Old 12-06-11, 02:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't think it warrants a lawsuit but I think that it changes a totally ridiculous lawsuit into an almost reasonable one.
Old 12-06-11, 10:09 AM
rwp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canada: “Crook wins damages for injury during theft”

Robber Sues the Store He Robbed I think that this is the case that you were referring to. If it is, it wasn't dismissed because the robber was injured during the commission of his crime, it was dismissed because the defendant couldn't afford to post the $10,000.00 bond.

George Hinnenkamp, Elderly Oregon Man, Has Car Stolen and Crashed--Is Now Being Sued by Folks Who Crashed In It Here is one with an interesting twist.

These are the ones that I came up with.
Actually the one I found was of a thief who robbed a homeowner then sued for loss of income (like your original claim). It's not on your list but it was thrown out of court. Of those on your list, the only succesful suit was brought by the guy in Canada who did not rob a homeowner and did not sue for loss of income. Rather he took some razor blades from a supermarket and then was beaten up by store employees. He sued for actual physical injuries sustained in the beating.

I've looked further and I still can't find any real instance of a thief robbing and then succesfully sueing a homeowner.
Old 12-06-11, 12:00 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can't fix stupid but a lawyer can make it profitable.
Old 12-06-11, 01:13 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Phony PI shakedowns never got $100G back when I was practicing law. More like 10K was tops. Except for sex harassment cases, it's pretty much true today. So there's a good claim in there somewhere. bk
Old 12-06-11, 02:54 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rwp
Actually the one I found was of a thief who robbed a homeowner then sued for loss of income (like your original claim). It's not on your list but it was thrown out of court. Of those on your list, the only successful suit was brought by the guy in Canada who did not rob a homeowner and did not sue for loss of income. Rather he took some razor blades from a supermarket and then was beaten up by store employees. He sued for actual physical injuries sustained in the beating.

I've looked further and I still can't find any real instance of a thief robbing and then successfully suing a homeowner.
I did find one that was close. A farmer(s) over in the U.K. were told that they couldn't use barbed wire to fence their gardens/allotments after being robbed. The reason they were told to take down the fence is to prevent a potential lawsuit if the thief injured themselves.
Old 12-06-11, 02:56 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed, and if it's found that it contributed to a crash/accident then the business should be held accountable.
Old 12-06-11, 04:03 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Who are they going to sue in the summer when they get sunstroke because there were no trees?
Old 12-07-11, 01:23 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
And that warrants a lawsuit? I mean I can understand after several complaints and documented issues that a serious injury finally occurred... but come on, he slipped - on ice - while riding his bicycle at night.
Motorized bicycle on a trail where it wasn't authorized.

I don't think it warrants a lawsuit but I think that it changes a totally ridiculous lawsuit into an almost reasonable one.
While I agree that this is a lawsuit that shouldn't have been fired. Are any of us really qualified to say what is or isn't a frivolous/unreasonable lawsuit? Granted just because someone falls and get's injured it doesn't mean that:

a) the victim was at fault
b) the home/property owner was at fault

Sometimes people just slip and fall and injure themselves, and it doesn't mean that anyone is/was at fault.

In this case IF the bar or whomever they contracted for snow removal did in fact push the snow onto the MUP they were wrong and should be fined. But if a person who regardless of whether or not the snow was pushed onto/near the MUP is riding a bike (or motorized bike) on the trail slips and falls then that is part of the risk of riding in the winter and s/he has no one to blame but themselves.

I mean take when my front wheel hit a loose patch of sand or gravel and I went down when I was leaving the parking lot of a local shopping center not to long ago. Could I have hired a lawyer and sued? Sure, but really what would have been the purpose?

As one could argue that by riding on 700x28c tires that I was at least partially at fault for the crash. Could I roll on wider more "stable" tires, sure. Could the management company that manages the shopping center have done a better job of keeping the driveways clear of sand and gravel, sure. But the bottom line is that other then a slightly skinned knee I wasn't hurt. So what would have been the point of suing?
Old 12-07-11, 10:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
We had a local rider, member of the regional mt. bike club and all, so a somewhat experienced rider, who takes a bad fall at a local state park. He sues and wins.

The area where he fell is what is known as the "BMX" section, due to the kids that come in with shovels, digging holes and building up dirt mounds to practice BMX stunts. The litigious rider apparently fell while trying to emulate the BMX'rs. He was alone at the time and broke something major - neck or so.

He sued the state for allowing a dangerous trail condition to exist, forgetting that there is actually no official mt. bike trail in the park and that the state has merely allowed the activity to occur on a huge network of roads and single track.

You would think that some sense of ethics or morals would kick in and he would just chalk up his fall to doing something stupid.

We were lucky the state didn't ban mt biking, but that are totally non cooperative about the idea of formalizing the trail system, for good reason as it cost;s something like a million bucks per mile, or so we were told.
Old 12-07-11, 10:20 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwp
Actually the one I found was of a thief who robbed a homeowner then sued for loss of income (like your original claim). It's not on your list but it was thrown out of court. Of those on your list, the only succesful suit was brought by the guy in Canada who did not rob a homeowner and did not sue for loss of income. Rather he took some razor blades from a supermarket and then was beaten up by store employees. He sued for actual physical injuries sustained in the beating.

I've looked further and I still can't find any real instance of a thief robbing and then succesfully sueing a homeowner.
Even unsuccessful civil actions cost the accused money. And successful ones will rarely benefit the one starting the action. The only winners are the lawyers.
Old 12-07-11, 07:58 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
What's a state park doing letting kids remake trails into BMX jump ramps? They are responsible for the condition of their land as modified by the kids, if it had been going on for some time. A guy with a broken neck is supposed to walk away from the claim? bk

Self, what are you thinking? This is the crowd that thinks fixing and flipping bikes for fun and profit doesn't require liability insurance.

Never-mind!
Old 12-08-11, 12:31 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
We had a local rider, member of the regional mt. bike club and all, so a somewhat experienced rider, who takes a bad fall at a local state park. He sues and wins.

The area where he fell is what is known as the "BMX" section, due to the kids that come in with shovels, digging holes and building up dirt mounds to practice BMX stunts. The litigious rider apparently fell while trying to emulate the BMX'rs. He was alone at the time and broke something major - neck or so.

He sued the state for allowing a dangerous trail condition to exist, forgetting that there is actually no official mt. bike trail in the park and that the state has merely allowed the activity to occur on a huge network of roads and single track.

You would think that some sense of ethics or morals would kick in and he would just chalk up his fall to doing something stupid.

We were lucky the state didn't ban mt biking, but that are totally non cooperative about the idea of formalizing the trail system, for good reason as it cost;s something like a million bucks per mile, or so we were told.
Let me see if I've got this right?

We have a state park that doesn't have official trails because it would cost too much to instal and maintain. There is a section of the "trail" that is "known" to be used by kids who bring in shovels and what have you to make a BMX trail network. The staff knows about it because it is safe to presume that someone has to go out and undo what the kids have done. Yet apparently no one at the state park does anything such as handing out citations to the kids to stop them from doing what they're doing.

Why isn't the state at least partially responsible for what happened to the experienced MTN biker?
Old 12-08-11, 12:34 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
What's a state park doing letting kids remake trails into BMX jump ramps? They are responsible for the condition of their land as modified by the kids, if it had been going on for some time. A guy with a broken neck is supposed to walk away from the claim? bk
Good point, if there is any kind log or record of who used that track/trail those "kids" should have been named as co-defendants in the resulting lawsuit.

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Self, what are you thinking? This is the crowd that thinks fixing and flipping bikes for fun and profit doesn't require liability insurance.

Never-mind!
Old 12-08-11, 02:10 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dec. 2009, I was riding to work, in nasty weather. I turned onto a side street I frequently used; this particular morning, the last 100 feet or so were frozen over, as was part of the yard of the house at the corner. I stopped pedaling, and HOPED to coast over it....

The back wheel sideslipped out from under me; I put a foot down to catch the fall, and my foot slid along with the bike. I felt and HEARD a SNAP!, followed by hot pain in my ankle. (The inner bone of the ankle snapped, and re-closed immediately, so it didn't even show up on x-rays until the bone built up over the break!)

That corner was flood-prone in conditions of heavy precipitation; so, the logic pursued by this damned fool and the idiot judge would dictate that I sue both the city and the homeowner at the corner for my injuries. As it was, I went to the VA, suffered through two months of walking around the job 'wounded', and another month in an aircast after the break was found. I missed two days of work, and earned the reputation as an 'iron man' by working through a broken ankle.
Old 12-08-11, 06:46 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me see if I've got this right?

We have a state park that doesn't have official trails because it would cost too much to instal and maintain. There is a section of the "trail" that is "known" to be used by kids who bring in shovels and what have you to make a BMX trail network. The staff knows about it because it is safe to presume that someone has to go out and undo what the kids have done. Yet apparently no one at the state park does anything such as handing out citations to the kids to stop them from doing what they're doing.

Why isn't the state at least partially responsible for what happened to the experienced MTN biker?
Good points.

In this case it's a park that is mostly 5 golf courses as well as a large wooded area with wood chip road trails used for cross-country running, as well as a rats maze of trails, mostly all single track, some of which were cut (and have been maintained) by mt. bikers. Then a lot of area's where local kids come in to party, build BMX sections, etc...

The state park folks are all oriented towards golfing. They have refused any sort of efforts to make any of the trails "official", due to cost, they say. The maintenance guys on occasion will take a bob-cat to some single track and widen it to expand the chip trails. They have no plan to do this work, they just decide to do it. There is no environmental review of any kind. They have been known to clear out a single track, put wood chips down then post a sign at one end saying "No Bikes", even though most folks ride the trial the other way and only see the sign if they happen to be looking back on their way out of a section. It is my suspicion that partly due to lay-offs in the maintenance departments as well as reduced budgets, there are sections in the woods that the park folks have never been to or are aware of the conditions. I have NEVER seen a state employee in the depths of the woods, other then the idiots with the bob-cat. I did see one of the state park policemen (we call them grass cops) asleep in his cruiser on dirt road in the woods one day. Thus it's safe to say there is no maintenance done in the wooded area's and all the budget goes to the golf courses.

In that light, they may or may not know about the kids digging holes for BMX jumps, but nobody is cleaning up after the kids.

But my point was that if you bike the park on a regular basis (which the injured biker had done and admitted to), you know the conditions.

You also know that mt. biking can cause injuries and if you don't there's something wrong with you.

Thus you fall while attempting a move that is possibly beyond your skill level and you sue the state for not maintaining safe conditions.

This could have happened anywhere in the park where this riders skill level might have come up short of the conditions. He might still have sued

And that's wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.