Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First time commuting to work!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 12-05-11, 02:22 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Coming off the New York City ride yesterday, I thought it might be a go idea to try something else that was new. And what better thing then commuting to work by bike for the first time.

I have been flirting with this idea now for the longest time. I have owned my mountain bike for almost as long as my road bike and it has just been sitting here… like a good bike (but partially sad since I haven’t ridden it) and it only has 5 miles on it.

So I thought it might be a good time to turn it into a commuter. Long story short, about three weeks in the making to get everything I needed like fenders, panniers, a rack, headlight for helmet, horn of some sort, gator tires, etc. Finally, it was done (almost at least).

And…. Watched the weather and there was no rain in the forecast plus I only had to work a half day today. What perfect ingredients for a successful dish! I woke up, showered, at breakfast put on the cycling clothes, packed the panniers and off I went.

Now, the panniers hold a lot of stuff. They might not look like they do but they do. And I didn’t really plan on the whole “bringing clothes to work the day before” thing so I had to bring in all my work clothes plus work shoes. And I am a big guy so it takes up some room for sure. I happened to lift my bike up and WOW….. so heavy compared to my road bike. Yikes! But no more excuses or delay…. It was time!

Off down the road I went. I first noticed that it was tough to gain speed. So OK…. Maybe commuting to work won’t be about speed at this point. Let’s just get there safe and sound. I also noticed how NICE it was to have an upright position (on the mountain bike) versus a road bike. I can see soooo much more stuff. It’s amazing. I was looking left and right a lot and noticing the finer stuff that you don’t see if you drive a car.

The bike felt really heavy and I played with the gears a lot, especially going up hills and yes… there were some small hills.

I got to work and struggled for a place to put the bike. I didn’t want to park it on the bike rack because it’s all open and exposed. I know…. But I don’t want my bike sitting in the rain or snow or anything so I found an undercover parking area for my bike and locked it up to a fence that was put up for the smokers to have a place to go under and smoke. I parked it on the outside of the fence.

Then I grabbed my panniers and headed inside to change. I was hot and sweaty. The gym, where one could shower, is located in the middle of my work in a building so I am not sure how simple it would be to get to if I wanted to change but I will work out the details as I go.

Got changed and still couldn’t stop sweating. And it wasn’t even hot out! Yikes.

Worked a few hours and then it was time to go home. Packed up the panniers and off I went. Got changed in the bathroom and went outside to load up. What do I find? A smoker sitting on my damn rack on my bike. Really? I mean REALLY? That pissed me off a little. I don’t sit on his car. Maybe I should. Note to silly self: don’t park there!

The ride home was nice. Palms started hurting a little. But I made it home. Total 22 miles round trip and each way it takes me about 55 minutes.

I am glad I went to work by bike today. I loved the feeling. One thing though is that both trips made me really tired. I mean I feel tired. Eyes a little heavy too. I wonder if this is typical. One of my coworkers said I looked half glazed over.
Things I learned:

1- Need to get order when it comes to packing my panniers. I swear, it took me forever to find my apartment keys. I need organization.

2- Don’t park the bike where smokers are.

3- I sure hope it gets easier!

Bike fit will need to be addressed as I go along and I hope it gets easier too. I plan to try to park my bike in a storage area across from the kitchen I work in. We will see how that goes. First time using my U lock!

All in all, it was a wonderful ride. I thank so many people who helped me and encouraged me.
Old 12-05-11, 02:25 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great Read!

From one newbie bike commuter to another newbie bike commuter, welcome to the addiction and fun...
Old 12-05-11, 03:04 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ceho: you new too? What did you learn that will help make your commute easier?

For me it was the panniers. It can get really get unorganized in there. YIKES.
Old 12-05-11, 03:20 PM
ganapati

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! Riding to work in the winter in NYC is so great. I recently started a job in perhaps the most disagreeable part of town possible (let's just say KoreaTown is the best thing it's got to offer), and my commute is what keeps me going. I do think it gets easier, and you may well be pawning your transit checks on the black market by January.
Old 12-05-11, 03:47 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job. Do it a few more times, and it will get smoother; you'll get the system that works for you. As to the sweating thing -- I know what you mean; I sit in my office for 20 minutes cooling down before I think about changing, and that's in the middle of winter.
Old 12-05-11, 04:33 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Good on you chefisaac!

That glazed over eye tired thang will go over when your body gets used to the exertion. Banana or power bar and water break may replenish energy along the way.
If I saw someone sitting on my bike, I would politely ask them not to.
I have a small waist bag for keys, wallet and cell phone. Makes things easier than having them in my rack bag.

Sweat is good!
Old 12-05-11, 04:40 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea, I should chill out a little before changing. Just awkward since I worked only a few hours today. From here on out, I get to work early enough anyway so I think I wil park the bike upstairs across from my kitchen. rest in my kitchen and then change.

My knees hurt today for sure. I think I need to raise the saddle up.
Old 12-05-11, 04:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Good Job Chef Isaac! Commuting just gets easier as you become more experienced. Great post.
Old 12-05-11, 06:33 PM
jettore

Bikes: 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, 73? Torpado, 85 Trek 400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to hear you got the first commute done. Keep it up, it'll get easier.

The sweating issue takes a while to figure out the best way to control. I've been going with many layers and just trying to adjust what works best. Always a wicking tshirt or long sleeve then a merino wool over that. Warmer days, that's it but colder I add mixtures of fleece and shells on top. Sometimes I'll stop and take a layer off if I'm getting to warm and starting to sweat.
Old 12-05-11, 06:55 PM
paperbackbiker

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost wish I lived farther away from work. I only have a 6 mile ride in!
Old 12-05-11, 07:02 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Good job!
Old 12-05-11, 07:11 PM
clawhammer72

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by paperbackbiker
Yeah. Mine's only 3 miles. I wish it were 7.
Old 12-05-11, 07:24 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by paperbackbiker
I'm sure you could find a longer route!

edit: That goes for you too clawhammer72!
Old 12-05-11, 07:28 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I'm sure you could find a longer route!

edit: That goes for you too clawhammer72!
+1 -- There's nothing keeping you from riding further!
Old 12-05-11, 09:51 PM
BiketoFeel

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown, 1997 Roadmaster Little 500 track bike, 2004 Burley Rumba, 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack, 90s Schwinn Moab MTB, 2019 DK Helio BMX, 80s Velo Sport Super Routier 12 Fixed Gear, 2000s Cannondale Touring bike, Late Model Giant TCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done. You're on your way to being weird.
Old 12-06-11, 02:16 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
W00t! I really enjoy my rides home. I work late hours so it's always after 9 pm and there's almost no traffic. The one thing I learned is that I didn't like toting clothes back and forth to work. I leave a set of clothes and a towel for showering at work. I also discovered that if you shower before you have cooled down, you sweat up your work clothes. I try to have a glass of water and read email for 20 minutes and then go shower.

I'm excited about getting regular exercise all winter :-)
Old 12-06-11, 02:48 AM
JeanSeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats !
Old 12-06-11, 02:57 AM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome read, seems like a pretty agreeable first commute. I usually cool off at my desk for about 20 minutes if I'm sweating before I change.

My biggest problem is getting up on time and getting dressed up for the cold. I'm so used to waking up and going out the door when I drive. It's been a slow transition but I probably commute > 50% of the time.
Old 12-06-11, 03:24 AM
frozen fork
Commuter

Bikes: Kona Blast Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome read.

+1 to the comments people made about wishing their commute were longer.

I turned my hardtail MTB into my commuter. I’d had it for years and the only miles I’d put on it was the ride from the LBS to home. I have yet to buy panniers. So far I’ve gotten away with just using a back pack but I’m lucky in that I’m a blue collar worker so I don’t need fancy clothes.

I spend 30 minutes cooling down in the morning and similar in the arvo. I don’t shower just use the deodorant copiously

People are commenting that I’m losing weight (I’m a fraction under 100kg --- long time fatty in denial)

Big thumbs up for the bike commuters. We are the future
Old 12-06-11, 03:37 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Kudos for starting commuting, more so at the start of winter. There'll be days when its cold and rainy or snowing and it'll test your cycling resolve.

Smokers are a lazy lot. Just tell them not to lean on your bike. Make friends with the facility manager and security guard and let them know you park at the smokers fence.

+1 for cooling down when you get to work before showering. Check email, make the pot of coffee... then go shower.

Wallet, keys and any essentials in an accessible place - jersey pocket, frame bag, top of the pannier... You'll eventually get into a groove.

Don't use "long story short" when it's a long story.
Old 12-06-11, 04:32 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
ceho: you new too? What did you learn that will help make your commute easier?

For me it was the panniers. It can get really get unorganized in there. YIKES.
Yep, I am new too, and loving it!!

I have learned a few things. Since the winter has set in, it is dark in the morning when I leave, and sometimes dark when I get back home. Decent lights for seeing and lights to make me seen are a must. Also, I have toe clips and clipless. For commuting I used the toe clips. BTW, I got lucky on this. I got a flat, but it happened at a time when I was on a newly aquired bike that the tire was low when I got it. So, I decided to carry an extra tube and a pump!! When I got the flat, I had the the tube and pump, easy fix. Couple weeks later I get another flat, easy fix again. Now, I ALWAYS carry and extra tube and a mini-pump.

Having got to panniers yet, I carry a backpack. My commute is about 18 to 20 miles round trip.

Safe commuting to you,

ceh
Old 12-06-11, 06:28 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i am sooooo sore today!
Old 12-06-11, 06:35 AM
imi
aka Timi

i am sooooo sore today!
"pain is just donuts leaving your body" /some wise person
Old 12-06-11, 06:42 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if thats true.... I got A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT of donutes coming out of my body.

I thought I wouldnt hurt as much as I do since I do ride (road bike) all the time and can do a lot of miles on it a week (just riding on road bike I average 350 miles/ a month in summer... 250 in winter so far). Guess I was wrong!

Do you think using a mtn bike uses different parts of the legs versus road bike?
Old 12-06-11, 07:36 AM
imi
aka Timi

Do you think using a mtn bike uses different parts of the legs versus road bike?
I'm sure there is some difference due to your sitting more upright, your knees maybe being at a different position over the crank, different seatpost offset, saddle height (as you mentioned), different gearing and bike weight... well, yeah, lots of factors, but nought that you can't dial in and get used to

I recommend a deep hot bath tub, candlelight in the bathroom, some pink floyd and a glass of cold white wine... let that pain wash away!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.