Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Today's dog encounter

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Today's dog encounter

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 03:35 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Today's dog encounter

This afternoon my wife and I were out riding our tandem. As we were going down a country road a dog jumps off the front porch of a house snarling, barking and heading toward us. My latest defense has been to yell at the do which I started to do. Then the dog's owner who is standing off to the side starts yelling"Don't yell at my dog!" The dog slowed and we sped up. A few minutes later a car comes up along side. It is the owner say"What's your problem?" I stated " The only way for us to protect ourselves from dogs iss to yell at them". He goes on to say no one ever yelsl at his dog and his dog would never go after someone. Even though it just happened. He then want to stop his car and fight. At this point we are just pedaling and not say a word. He then calls us a few choice words and gives us the finger and speeds off.
So what is a guy to do in a situation like this?
Old 05-20-12, 03:41 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Call the cops, explain that he scared the crap out of you. Ask if the cop can file charges against the owner for assault, or the dog for endangerment (he could have knocked you over and you both would have been hurt). Let the cop do the talking, take Halt the next time you go by there. And maybe some pepper spray for the owner.
Old 05-20-12, 03:43 PM
RepWI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You owe yourself and future cyclists a proper response. Report the dog to the sheriff's dept. If the dog left the owners property it is in violation at lease in Wisconsin.
Old 05-20-12, 04:08 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

This is an area that I am not to sure I could find my way back to. So I would not be able to locate the house.
Old 05-20-12, 04:40 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Stupidity and meanness are a dangerous combination. As A fellow NE Ohioan, I've stopped riding in rural areas because of encounters like that. I'm burned out. Believe me, I could write a book.
Old 05-21-12, 03:36 AM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seriously, call the local police - they need to know. Once you file your report with the owners name/address, they're 'in the system' forever.

Additionally, i'd buy some UDAP *Bear* Pepper Spray. I have the 7.9oz size w/carry holster and it comes with me everywhere when i'm riding. In fact, i nearly had to use it last week. A large Rottweiller shot off it's front porch as i rode by (on a main road in the city). I instantly grabbed my UDAP and was getting ready to give it a blast, but it stopped as i had already passed the house. I've never seen that dog there before (i ride past there regularly), but you never know.....

I have zero tolerance for poorly behaved canines (or owners for that matter - i believe UDAP will work on humans as well). As a former police officer, i have no problem articulating my need and level of self-defense if the need arises to whomever 'asks' nor should anyone else.
Old 05-21-12, 08:45 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have, at times, dismounted to confront the cur on foot. They usually slink away. Somehow they know you are vulnerable when on the bike. The term "man's best friend" has never made sense to me.
Old 05-21-12, 08:53 AM
bikefor2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
This is an area that I am not to sure I could find my way back to. So I would not be able to locate the house.
Were you using your Garmin on the ride? If so the map from that is all you need to retrace your route (in the safety of your car) and get the property address to report them. I would definitely do that.
Old 05-21-12, 09:05 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
IMO if the dog was on it's owners property you made a mistake. Yelling a someone's dog on their property is inappropriate. Next time steer clear, if the dog advances on public space then you have the full right to protect yourself. While on the property, the dog is acting in a natural way to protect his territory from a perceived threat, YOU.
Old 05-21-12, 11:36 AM
Seb71

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
IMO if the dog was on it's owners property you made a mistake. Yelling a someone's dog on their property is inappropriate. Next time steer clear, if the dog advances on public space then you have the full right to protect yourself. While on the property, the dog is acting in a natural way to protect his territory from a perceived threat, YOU.
Yeah, because every dog knows exactly where owner's property ends and public space begins.

(I am assuming that the property had no fence that could keep the dog inside).
Old 05-21-12, 11:40 AM
CoMotionRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a dog is running at you like he is going to attack you why do you have to wait until the dog is in the Right of Way, usually only about 7 feet from you, until you isssue a comand for the dog to stop? That does not make sense to me. It is the dog owner that is at fault for letting a dog be off leash that is going to chase people.
Old 05-21-12, 11:41 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Really? The guy was offended because someone yelled at his dog. You say that the bike rider's yelling was inappropriate? I think the dog's owner was the one that was innappropriate.
Old 05-21-12, 12:35 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
On a local ride last month, one of the riders got nipped by a dog. He knocked on the owner's door, who got pretty angry, including "No, I don't have any first aid stuff." and "You need to call before you ride down this road!" OK, sure.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-21-12 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 01:13 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
In one of my many conversations with Dog Wardens, I recall one warden claiming the dog owner must display a "visible means of restraint". YMMV.
Old 05-21-12, 01:41 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did exactly the right thing under the circumstances. Just about any other response, considering the psychotic state of the owner, could have made for a very bad day, involving police, doctors, and lawyers. Over a dog. There is a time to take a stand. This wasn't it.

If you could have identified the owner and location, it would have been a good idea to file a complaint for the record.
Old 05-21-12, 01:42 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
I once had a dog run out on a highway after me and end up getting hit and killed by a semi-truck. The same could have happened to this dog if there was traffic.

Dog owners should be very sure their dog won't run out into street. There's something about bicyclists that dogs can't resist. I've known dogs to stop at their property boundary, but I've seen more dogs that run out into the street. I am always impressed with dogs who have been trained well.

I've never had a dog stop when yelled at. Sometimes stopping and getting off the bike is enough. I'm not willing to find out when the consequence could end poorly for me. There's got to be a better way. For what it's worth I try to talk nicely to the dog so it will realize I'm human, but get the heck out of there. Once the dog is out in the street, I start yelling for the owner to get their dog. I wouldn't be above using bear spray if a dog came after me in the street. I've never had to though.
Old 05-21-12, 01:49 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what I would do about the agressive-looking dog, but I think I would lose it when the guy drove up to confront me.
Old 05-21-12, 01:52 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ridiculous.
Old 05-21-12, 01:58 PM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a small squirt bottle with me mixed with amonia and water. If only had to use it a couple of times, and lucky enough not to have to mess with the owners.
Old 05-21-12, 03:30 PM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Ridiculous.
Agreed, the dog and owner are the ones that are at fault.
Old 05-21-12, 03:33 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djyak
I carry a small squirt bottle with me mixed with amonia and water. If only had to use it a couple of times, and lucky enough not to have to mess with the owners.
This likes a great alternative to Pepper Spray-type defense solutions (which may involve the local police unnecessarily).
Old 05-21-12, 06:43 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I usually carry UDAP pepper spray in a hand sized bottle, with a strap for the handlebar or for the back of my hand. Mostly for aggressive animals and large predators in some isolated areas I ride through... though I had to hold the canister up to a German Shepherd who was off his leash and was running full tilt toward me. But the owner called him back and he was obedient. The owner was apologetic. I just waved and told her it was cool, no hard feelings, just was being cautious (due to previous bad experiences). I love dogs, but... some dogs don't love me, is all. That's the way it goes...
Old 05-21-12, 07:22 PM
Tandem Tom

Since the incident yesterday I thought I would check online to see what Ohio law has to say about it.
955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts; owner liable for damages.
(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.
Maybe I should have this printed on a card and give it to the owner!!
Old 05-21-12, 09:26 PM
igbybike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently I have bungee corded an air horn to the stem so it is easy to reach. Twice on country rides I have had dogs come out chasing me, barking, and a blast or two from the air horn has been enough to surprise or startle the dog enough to stop them (both from the chase and even from barking). Much less invasive than the pepper spray (which I have for a last resort) and has the added benefit of being effective to ward off wildlife in the road as well as alert a driver backing out in front of me.

Anyone else tried the air horn?
Old 05-21-12, 10:36 PM
Joe Padilla

Bikes: Trek 520 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like to see how fast they can run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.