Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strip the paint and have it powder coated, or just ride it as is? Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 04:12 PM
xRyan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all!

I bought a schwinn 754 frame online the other day and boy I found myself kind of regretting it. First off it didn't come with the original quill seat post, but I got to googling and made one myself for about $10!
Anyways the paint is pretty beat up and I feel I might have to patch up a few deep scratches, the decals don't look to good, and there's a bunch of old sticker residue that I'm finding really hard to take off. This frame will most likely end up being my primary bike, i plan on doing some duathlons!

What do you guys and gals think I should do? Strip it and have it powder coated or just ride it as is?

While I have this post up there's somthing else I'd like some opinions on, what groupset should I use for my sprint bike?

I have a campy veloce group 2×10 nice quality but weights a little more (53 big chain ring)

Or

Shimano sora 3500 2x9 compact crank, lower quality lower weight? Opinions?

Here's some pics!

Last edited by xRyan; 12-03-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 04:46 PM
VanLogan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xRyan
Hello all!

I bought a schwinn 754 frame online the other day and boy I found myself kind of regretting it. First off it didn't come with the original quill seat post, but I got to googling and made one myself for about $10!
Anyways the paint is pretty beat up and I feel I might have to patch up a few deep scratches, the decals don't look to good, and there's a bunch of old sticker residue that I'm finding really hard to take off. This frame will most likely end up being my primary bike, i plan on doing some duathlons!

What do you guys and gals think I should do? Strip it and have it powder coated or just ride it as is?

While I have this post up there's somthing else I'd like some opinions on, what groupset should I use for my sprint bike?

I have a campy veloce group 2×10 nice quality but weights a little more (53 big chain ring)

Or

Shimano sora 3500 2x9 compact crank, lower quality lower weight? Opinions?

We need to see pictures...
Old 12-03-16, 04:46 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
This thread needs a pic!
Old 12-03-16, 05:26 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
+1 on pictures, though I can tell you now what most here will say: keep the old finish, clean it up, use a little goof off or something like that on the residue (carefully, or it remove more than the sticker residue), remove the rust, wax it, ride it. Just a wild guess.

For your sprint bike, which of those options has the best gearing for the way your ride? On a sprint bike I can't imagine a few grams will make any difference, so I'd pick whichever looks best on the bike, and shifts best, and has the gearing you need.
Old 12-03-16, 05:34 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Given it's aluminum, I'd work on touching it up as much as possible. For sticker goo, there's goof off or the like kind of remover that with a little patience can do the job well.

If that doesn't work out, then having it stripped and powder coated is probably the next best option. The 754 is a nice enough frame to be worth the effort either way. If you're really going to be doing duathlon's with it, then function wins over pretty any day.
Old 12-03-16, 05:35 PM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys I'm having a hard time uploading photos from my phone, i keep gettimg error messages. I'll try photo bucket
Old 12-03-16, 06:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
There is a size limit on photos... I do all of my uploading from the laptop machine (paper clip icon).

Keep in mind that most of the older bikes weren't originally powder coated. A good automotive paint should be fine.

I'd rather have a battered bike with original decals to having a repainted bike with no decals. But... there are aftermarket decals for most bikes, or perhaps you could make your own.

Then it depends on your goals... for an everyday rider/commuter, a moderate amount of "patina" is just fine, and may even be preferable.

For a show bike, there is a trade-off between original and battered.

I really like the Campy and aero cable routing. But, it is up to you. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Oh... I'm also a big ring rider (and itty-bitty rear sprocket rider).

Best if you can choose wheels to match your groupset.
Old 12-03-16, 07:12 PM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the link to photobucket aBlum, as soon as I get a hold of my laptop I'll direct link them

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://s376.photobucket.com/user/xRyan/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
Old 12-03-16, 07:14 PM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There is a size limit on photos... I do all of my uploading from the laptop machine (paper clip icon).

Keep in mind that most of the older bikes weren't originally powder coated. A good automotive paint should be fine.

I'd rather have a battered bike with original decals to having a repainted bike with no decals. But... there are aftermarket decals for most bikes, or perhaps you could make your own.

Then it depends on your goals... for an everyday rider/commuter, a moderate amount of "patina" is just fine, and may even be preferable.

For a show bike, there is a trade-off between original and battered.

I really like the Campy and aero cable routing. But, it is up to you. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Oh... I'm also a big ring rider (and itty-bitty rear sprocket rider).

Best if you can choose wheels to match your groupset.
Some here, I really like the routing on the Campy levers, I'm leaving towards using that set. I would think the matching campy wheels set is out of my price range for now I'll be running some Easton wheels.
Old 12-03-16, 07:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Some here, I really like the routing on the Campy levers, I'm leaving towards using that set. I would think the matching campy wheels set is out of my price range for now I'll be running some Easton wheels.
Campy freehubs are available for many non-Shimano wheels.
Old 12-03-16, 07:33 PM
rfj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would remove the residue and ride it as is.

Old 12-03-16, 07:50 PM
Campagnerdo 

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I also have a 754, mine has some minor paint issues. I have always toyed with the idea of stripping it and polishing the aluminum, a la some cannondales. I have a nice looking chrome replacement fork waiting for it, if I ever decide to commit to that plan.
Old 12-03-16, 08:29 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
That Oakley decal is period correct and legit - very cool --- i'd leave it alone after removing any residue just to preserve that little time capsule

Also ---

maybe re-consider ever powder coating aluminum ---I would be concerned re-heating it in an oven to cure the powdercoat might affect the original tubing heat treat a bit ---- its the reason I held off on PC'ing a beat up Santa Cruz MTB
Old 12-03-16, 09:00 PM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
That Oakley decal is period correct and legit - very cool --- i'd leave it alone after removing any residue just to preserve that little time capsule

Also ---

maybe re-consider ever powder coating aluminum ---I would be concerned re-heating it in an oven to cure the powdercoat might affect the original tubing heat treat a bit ---- its the reason I held off on PC'ing a beat up Santa Cruz MTB

Yeah I really digging the oakley sticker, I'm a big fan. Any suggestions on a goo remover that isn't to harsh?
Old 12-04-16, 05:16 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
WD-40 and a microfibre cloth for goo removal.

Clean with a strong car shampoo solution and a washmitt or a microfibre cloth.

Dry thoroughly. Touch in any obvious paint dings with clear nail polish to prevent any water ingress under the paint.

Apply a cheap car wax. Buff.

Build up and ride, enjoy the patina, it's a beautiful frame.

9-speed Sora is nice stuff particularly when paired with Jagwire Road Pro cables and housing.
Old 12-04-16, 05:20 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Any suggestions on a goo remover that isn't to harsh?
I'm a big 'get rid of that sticker' guy and have two go-to methods that have worked well.

a) hot air gun on warm. Start at a corner and peel back just enough to hold with needle nose pliers. Use the hot air gun set on warm and held back a ways to just warm the sticker so the adhesive releases nicely then pull slow and steady (don't tear the sticker) and most will lift quite well. I have to do this on all sorts of used bikes at my LBS job, all ages, all conditions and it works quite well - no damage to the paint as it's just warm, not hot.

b) odorless mineral spirits (aka paint thinner). The MS works well on old adhesive (much better than GooGone), just damp a paper towel and damp the goo. On stubborn old adhesive damp an old tooth brush and scrub it a bit. If you can get the old adhesive started the rest will come along better so I keep a bit of old Formica laminate around from an old kitchen counter project. Sand or file a sharp edge on the Formica. That material is harder than the dried, brittle adhesive but softer than paint so does not scratch the paint. And the MS lubricates the scraping which helps too. Scrape the adhesive some, wipe with the MS damp towel, repeat. Goes pretty quickly and the paint that was protected from the elements by the sticker generally looks good when you're done. Wash the area right after you're done then wax.
Old 12-04-16, 06:03 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Before you start doing anything, make sure you Test Ride the Bicycle. Once satisfied, then you can start spending and prettying the bicycle up. But first make sure it fits and rides properly.

Next ask yourself - Should I Paint My Bicycle?...

Last edited by randyjawa; 12-04-16 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 06:14 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I have no experience with frames like that and they hold little attraction for me (maybe because I've never ridden one) but I say just ride it and enjoy its experienced life. I have a few frames with various scars, seemingly getting worse year by year though I have no idea how. It's nice when a frame looks new-ish but that makes no difference to the riding.
Old 12-04-16, 08:40 AM
sarahbruce

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Once you get the residue/gunk off ( I like WD-40 and a little elbow grease), I suggest using a Magic Eraser (melamine foam) over the whole frame. It always surprises me how many scuffs/marks/? a Magic Eraser removes. Then follow up with a good wax and that bike would probably really look decent.
Bruce
Old 12-04-16, 09:56 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
some googling reveals that at least one mfg (Kona) advises against PCing aluminum frames...

Kona Bikes - Frequent Questions

while there's some wear and tear on the current finish, it should look ok with some time and effort to clean it up.
Old 12-05-16, 11:09 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
some googling reveals that at least one mfg (Kona) advises against PCing aluminum frames...

Kona Bikes - Frequent Questions
Interesting that they think their frames are so delicate they can't hold up to PC baking temps, what 375°?

Don't people around here routinely get their Cannondales PC'ed?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-05-16, 12:25 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Interesting that they think their frames are so delicate they can't hold up to PC baking temps, what 375°?

Don't people around here routinely get their Cannondales PC'ed?

The temper of aluminum alloys can be negatively affected by regular powder coating temperatures. To powder coat one of these alloys, you'd want to use a "low bake" (lower temperature) powder.

Originally Posted by Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, February 2009, Volume 18

Title: Evaluation of the Effects of Powder Coating Cure Temperatures on the Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloy Substrates

Abstract: The effects of curing temperature, based on new, low-temperature powder coating methods and traditional high-temperature powder coating methods, were studied. Heat-sensitive aluminum alloys (2024-T3, 6061-T6, and 7075-T6) were subjected to two different heat-treatment cycles, which were based on temperatures of 121 and 204 °C. Findings indicate that although both cure temperatures achieved powder coatings adhesion and thickness appropriate for industrial uses, the high-temperature cure treatment negatively affected the mechanical properties.
Old 12-05-16, 02:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I found pictures of the seatpost I made for a similar model.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-05-16, 02:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I vote ride as is. There was a frame on ebay without seat post… the most strategic part needed.
Old 12-05-16, 04:57 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You know, there is a thing called "rat rodding" where people take old, far-from-pristine cars, and try to preserve the surface rust; they even clear-coat over the rust sometimes, or just resort to rubbing diesel fuel into the rust to preserve it. I hope this catches on for bike frames.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.