Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

seat and handlebar stems when are these unsafe??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 07:25 PM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a single bolt saddle clamp and a handlebar faceplate with only two bolts holding it on.

I have had the handlebar faceplate since I have had the bike originally a few years back.

Maybe not the strongest option since I have seen ones with 4 bolt faceplates.

It's still staying on there,but the question is when should it be replaced.

Obviously it should be replaced when and if it snaps off, providing I don't crash and die when that happens.

As for the seat clamps I prefer the two bolt design and had one by Eleven 81 but they no longer make it.

I got the double bolt design after the original single bolt saddle clamp broke going up a hill. Good thing it happened on the up side of the hill and not during the descent down the other side.

What made the double bolt design safest in my opinion was that if one goes out the other might still hold it on.

but after the double saddle bolts wore out I had to go back to the more scary single bolt clamp since the bike shop couldn't find any double bolt designs.

When I did this I also went with a smaller lighter saddle to reduce the load that I would be putting on the clamp, since a bigger saddle adds weight and also has a greater center of weight to bear on the clamp.

To make matters worse I have loosened the bolt a few times before getting the saddle pitch and distance I wanted.

The more times it is adjusted the shorter it's life can become. But hopefully I haven't worn it out simply by adjusting it those few times.

the question is really when should I replace these components and how can I make it last?

Don't want to find out too late.

Also wish they would make the doubles again because of how you will seriously pay for it if it fails.

Last edited by TreyWestgate; 12-02-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 09:26 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Single-bolt seatposts are plenty safe. Two-bolt designs tend to be more finely adjustable. Both are available.

Stems are readily available with both two-bolt and four-bolt faceplates. Both are plenty safe if installed and torqued properly.

Seatposts and stems shouldn't break or "wear out" unless abused.
Old 12-02-16, 09:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
bring it by a bike shop ask someone that can see it in person.
Old 12-03-16, 10:33 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I did this I also went with a smaller lighter saddle to reduce the load that I would be putting on the clamp, since a bigger saddle adds weight and also has a greater center of weight to bear on the clamp. maybe just dont sit on the saddle at all will be better?
Old 12-03-16, 12:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Unsafe from a bike shop liability perspective? Or from a rider's personal safety perspective?

Shop liability = replace regularly.
Rider safety = see above comments, these things don't wear out under normal use.

Do you hop curbs?, ride rough pavement regularly at very high speeds with pressure applied to the bars?, race on cobblestones?, lay excessive weight on the bars on most rides? sit either waay back or waay forward on saddle?, crash often?

How often to replace headsets, pedals, bb, and other components is an intangible answer.
Old 12-03-16, 12:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Pros dont ride 2 year old bikes .. (until after they retire)
Old 12-03-16, 01:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Pros dont ride 2 year old bikes .. (until after they retire)
So true.
And at the other end of the spectrum, people ride 25 year old alloy handlebars daily without problem.
Old 12-03-16, 01:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TreyWestgate

Also wish they would make the doubles again because of how you will seriously pay for it if it fails.
There are MANY two bolt seat posts to chose from. MANY.
Old 12-04-16, 04:53 PM
TreyWestgate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So my solutions are this. I j.b weld the saddle to the clamp and it won't come off, ever!. But by the time I get a new seat post I would probably want a new saddle then as well.

I also think I like the steel seat posts with the bar that runs through the middle and the two bolts on each saddle rail.

steel also won't snap like aluminum.

Sure it can bend over time and it's not as good in some cases as aluminum, but it might give me more of a warning if it is starting to fail.

You also can't find the steel seatposts easily. not in my bike store.

But as for the previous comments, it was nothing I was doing to the best of my knowledge that made the first seat post fail originally. It just got old and weak on it's own and broke leaning into a hill.

and have never had a handlebar faceplate come off and I better not.

you're safest if you just weld it all together and replace it all when you are ready.

Last edited by TreyWestgate; 12-04-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 04:59 PM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When I did this I also went with a smaller lighter saddle to reduce the load that I would be putting on the clamp, since a bigger saddle adds weight and also has a greater center of weight to bear on the clamp.
good idea...

the critical 'center of weight' issue is often overlooked.
Old 12-05-16, 12:52 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
When I did this I also went with a smaller lighter saddle to reduce the load that I would be putting on the clamp, since a bigger saddle adds weight and also has a greater center of weight to bear on the clamp. maybe just dont sit on the saddle at all will be better?

Maybe just remove the saddle and seat post?

You're kidding, right?
Old 12-05-16, 01:24 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
There is little correlation between the number of seatpost bolts and failure rates. I suspect the single bolt posts fail less often. I doubt if I have ever heard of a SR Laprade post breaking and it is probably the post with the most accumulated miles ever made. I have however had two Avocet 2-bolt posts fail on me, twice the bolts breaking and once the clamp itself breaking. (Really more of a statement re: Avocet quality than the number of bolts.)

I much prefer 2-bolt posts, not because I feel more secure on them but because they are so much easier to dial the tilt and position in and to change the settings and get back exactly to the original settings without needing measuring tools.

If you are worried about the faceplate, buy a new stem from a reputable company. A faceplate or the bolts failing is going to be a far worse crash than if your seat falls off. Also get a torque wrench and use it or have the shop install it.

Ben
Old 12-05-16, 09:41 PM
TreyWestgate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also for my seat post I just took some pipe binders, the kind with the screw feeder and wrapped them around my saddle clamp to reinforce it and so that if that little screw holding it together ever fails, the pipe binders will keep the saddle on long enough to stop the bike
Old 12-06-16, 03:35 PM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go with the JB Weld. Force some into the bottom bracket too to stop your cranks turning off as they only have the one bolt holding each on. JB those pesky quick releases on your wheels too, they can be deadly if flung open at speed.
Old 12-06-16, 04:30 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Some of my seat posts and stems are over 40 years old.
Old 12-06-16, 04:34 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
also for my seat post I just took some pipe binders, the kind with the screw feeder and wrapped them around my saddle clamp to reinforce it and so that if that little screw holding it together ever fails, the pipe binders will keep the saddle on long enough to stop the bike
You really should post good large pictures of your ride, can't wait to see it
Old 12-06-16, 04:34 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
Negligible...
Old 12-06-16, 05:02 PM
italktocats

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Maybe just remove the saddle and seat post?

You're kidding, right?
worked for my bmx back in the days if youre worried about this, you should stop riding
Old 12-11-16, 07:58 AM
pauoos
pauoos

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Tourmalet, 2000 Gary Fisher Aquila

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a single bolt saddle clamp and a handlebar faceplate with only two bolts holding it on.

I have had the handlebar faceplate since I have had the bike originally a few years back.

Maybe not the strongest option since I have seen ones with 4 bolt faceplates.

It's still staying on there,but the question is when should it be replaced.

Obviously it should be replaced when and if it snaps off, providing I don't crash and die when that happens.

As for the seat clamps I prefer the two bolt design and had one by Eleven 81 but they no longer make it.

I got the double bolt design after the original single bolt saddle clamp broke going up a hill. Good thing it happened on the up side of the hill and not during the descent down the other side.

What made the double bolt design safest in my opinion was that if one goes out the other might still hold it on.

but after the double saddle bolts wore out I had to go back to the more scary single bolt clamp since the bike shop couldn't find any double bolt designs.

To make matters worse I have loosened the bolt a few times before getting the saddle pitch and distance I wanted.

The more times it is adjusted the shorter it's life can become. But hopefully I haven't worn it out simply by adjusting it those few times.

the question is really when should I replace these components and how can I make it last?

Don't want to find out too late.

I love your poem. It is a wonderful piece of free-verse. But I think that poems and literary items should be posted on the Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment forum.
Old 12-11-16, 08:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,417 Times in 2,754 Posts
JB Weld! Darwin is our friend.