Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

degreasing bike chain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

degreasing bike chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 06:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
learned about this via the forum - so smart!
Yeah, but what's the taste like afterwards?
Old 09-29-16, 07:08 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How much does Zep, air compressor, 2 liter bottle of coke etc. all cost. vs. a new chain?
the variable cost of cleaning supplies is way less than a dollar and the cost of a new chain starts at around ten, but you don't really need those cleaning supplies at all if you wipe off your chain and oil it every once in a while. So the point is not that cleaning supplies cost more than a chain, it's that you don't need the cleaning supplies at all.
Old 09-29-16, 07:13 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I agree, and said so earlier. Here's my concluding line from post No.3

So, citrus can work well, but a petroleum distillate is easier in the long run, and can be saved for reuse. [emphasis added]

There's lots of debate on the environmental question, but I'm one of those who believe that a bad product, well managed and reused or recycled, is better for the environment than a not so bad product flushed down drains.

Let's say I don't want to remove my chain, do you think running my chain through a Park Tools scrubber that has petroleum distillate in it, will do a decent job of degreasing/cleaning the chain?
Old 09-29-16, 07:18 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How much does Zep, air compressor, 2 liter bottle of coke etc. all cost. vs. a new chain?
Exactly! For me it was $2 vs $10+.
Old 09-29-16, 07:31 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Let's say I don't want to remove my chain, do you think running my chain through a Park Tools scrubber that has petroleum distillate in it, will do a decent job of degreasing/cleaning the chain?
I don't think that sounds like a good idea. You'll get petroleum distillate all over your bike. If you feel the need to use the scrubber fill it with diluted water soluble biodegradable degreaser and spray the bike off with a hose when you're done.
Old 09-29-16, 07:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
If you're asking for my personal opinion, then the answer is no.

I suppose if you're persistent, and do multiple passes changing the solvent frequently, you'll eventually (very eventually) get to where the chain is clean enough that little is flushing out. Then you can remove the cleaner, and run he chain very fast to spin the dirt out the back. You will get the clean but at what cost in time and cleanup.

Your call.

FWIW, other than for chain tests, I've never cleaned my chains.

I need to qualify that, ---- I rotate multiple chains on the commuter bike, and when they're off the bike, they sit in jars of naphtha, and I do a few spin and rinse cycles (naphtha again) before moving them to the on deck circle and back on the bike.

If it weren't convenient, since I was rotating them anyway, I wouldn't clean, and don't on my other bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-29-16, 07:42 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have actually used a power washer on a bike a few times. Chain comes out sparkly.
I use the spray at the car wash also, but I was referring to a small appliance available at a tool supplier such as Harbor Freight. And the chain may only be sparkly on the outside, as others have pointed out. The grit and grease inside the links may not be dislodged by the water spray.
Old 09-29-16, 07:53 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I use the spray at the car wash also, but I was referring to a small appliance available at a tool supplier such as Harbor Freight. And the chain may only be sparkly on the outside, as others have pointed out. The grit and grease inside the links may not be dislodged by the water spray.
I thought you were joking about the ultrasonic cleaner, so I thought I would add an even more ridiculous power tool for cleaning chains.
Old 09-29-16, 08:35 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you're asking for my personal opinion, then the answer is no.

I suppose if you're persistent, and do multiple passes changing the solvent frequently, you'll eventually (very eventually) get to where the chain is clean enough that little is flushing out. Then you can remove the cleaner, and run he chain very fast to spin the dirt out the back. You will get the clean but at what cost in time and cleanup.

Your call.

FWIW, other than for chain tests, I've never cleaned my chains.

I need to qualify that, ---- I rotate multiple chains on the commuter bike, and when they're off the bike, they sit in jars of naphtha, and I do a few spin and rinse cycles (naphtha again) before moving them to the on deck circle and back on the bike.

If it weren't convenient, since I was rotating them anyway, I wouldn't clean, and don't on my other bikes.

Okay thanks for that.

I'm soon going to start using Chain-L, so I'll follow your lead in respect of cleaning & lubing a chain.
Old 09-29-16, 08:43 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I thought you were joking about the ultrasonic cleaner, so I thought I would add an even more ridiculous power tool for cleaning chains.
Actually, I am prone to the ridiculous, so I took you seriously. I like the idea of an ultrasonic tool for bike chain cleaning but am too lazy to take the chain off the bike. I will hose it off and lube it up, then ride.
Old 09-29-16, 09:19 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removing a chain isnt hard...its putting it back on that can be difficult.
Old 09-30-16, 02:01 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Simple Green automotive (not regular) degreaser in a Park Chain Gang cleaner gets my chain spotless. I use the Simple Green undiluted, and then refill with plain water a few times until the suds go away. The Simple Green does harm paint. If you get a chain with an openable link, you can degrease the chain in a paint can with diesel or kerosine. These are far and away the best chemicals to clean a chain.
Old 12-05-16, 02:31 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I clean the drive train every 100 road miles or less. The chain is un-clipped and put it in a Jam jar half full of kero, screw the lid on tight and slosh it gently back and forward for 5 or 10 minutes then take it out, rub it dry and leave it to air for a few hours. I wipe the thick scum off the jockey wheels with a rag dipped in kero, then lightly spray the chain rings, jockey wheels, and cassette with automotive water-soluble engine degreaser from a spray can and rinse off with a gentle spray of water.

If the chain etc is cleaned regularly there is less build up and it's easier to remove. Some suggest automotive degreasers will seep into your hubs and cause damage but there is no evidence to back this up. Even if it was possible, the expensive bikeshop degreasers could just as easily seep in and have the same effect over time. I use my common sense, spray lightly and only direct the flow onto the gears with the bike angled so the runoff drips clear onto the ground or into a drip tray (depending on your local environmental protection statutes)
Old 12-05-16, 09:46 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Simple Green automotive (not regular) degreaser in a Park Chain Gang cleaner gets my chain spotless. I use the Simple Green undiluted, and then refill with plain water a few times until the suds go away. The Simple Green does harm paint. If you get a chain with an openable link, you can degrease the chain in a paint can with diesel or kerosine. These are far and away the best chemicals to clean a chain.
That's what I've been doing , ever since the Park Chain cleaning tool (on the bike) was developed. At my age, trying to remove the chain for cleaning is a pita. Even the ones with removal clips. I put old newspaper down, run the chain thru the Park tool, wipe off and lube. I check for chain wear with my Park chain checker, each time also. Once a year, all bikes (usually 2) get a new chain, ($8-10 from NB).

Prior to that, I sent my chains out to a LBS for an annual ultrasonic cleaning. (When I was stationed in Nebraska, local shop offered this service.) During the year, I would use the mineral spirits in the coke bottle system.
Old 12-05-16, 10:28 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
gave up 'washing' chains in the 80s when using melted paraffin was popular...total pita.

now, just use KMC chains, lube with Chain-L, and wipe after each ride with an old t-shirt.

only getting 6-8K miles of service life, but will just have to live with that...