Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much does muck on drivetrain affect speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 04:01 PM
Blond
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If someone was riding a bike for 3 months and never cleaned his chain just kept adding lube on line and a lot of muck formed around the chain and groupset, how much will this affect your speed vs a very clean and well new lubricated chain and groupset?

Furthermore, how much does an old groupset which is nearly worn out affect speed vs a new groupset which new componentry?

Thanks
Old 12-24-16, 04:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
How often does the rider change socks?

Old 12-24-16, 04:06 PM
Blond
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
How often does the rider change socks?
Preferentially when it gets dirty
Old 12-24-16, 04:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
As long as the drive train works, ie. doesn't slip and shifts OK, then the added friction caused by a dirty chain is pretty marginal.

Of course, all sources of friction take a toll, but a dirty chain doesn't rank high in the scheme of things.

That said, neglect can and will shorten chain life, but that's a different issue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-24-16, 04:50 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Probably none of us knows enough to quantify any loss. Probably I notice noise and poor shifting performance more than any power loss. A clean, quiet, and smooth bike is a joy to ride.
Old 12-24-16, 04:54 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Two useful responses out of four. The odds might be improving.

I find that after cleaning a bike's chain, cassette and chainrings, and lubing them, the bike feels smoother, shifts better and does indeed seem easier to pedal. I think if you take a particularly grimy chain and clean it, you will find the links loosen up and chain will "flop" sideways more (which can indicate excessive wear).

As to general wear, chains and cogs are designed to mesh nicely together. Wear interferes with the engagement of the chain rollers on the cogs -- the chain elongates (people call it stretch but that's not strictly true) because of wear between the pins and rollers, and the teeth slowly wear away, too.

The result is that the chain won't engage properly and in the worst cases you get chain slip when the chain simply slides over the top of the teeth.

First step is to (learn how to) clean your chain and gears, and if there is excessive wear, replace it all.
Old 12-24-16, 06:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I find that after cleaning a bike's chain, cassette and chainrings, and lubing them, the bike feels smoother, shifts better and does indeed seem easier to pedal.
+1. I really noticed the difference when riding across the U.S. I pretty much neglected my drivetrain from Seattle to Minneapolis. We had a couple of days there. I needed new tires and put the bike in a shop for overnight work, including a drivetrain cleaning. The difference was like night and day.
Old 12-24-16, 06:34 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I find that after cleaning a bike's chain, cassette and chainrings, and lubing them, the bike feels smoother, shifts better and does indeed seem easier to pedal.
That is my experience, too.
Old 12-25-16, 12:05 AM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
This...

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
A clean, quiet, and smooth bike is a joy to ride.
Old 12-25-16, 01:04 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
At least 50%, IMO.
One end of winter day I rode a 3x8 derailler bike 30 miles. Puddle, sand, clear, sand, slush, clean puddle, dirty puddle ... By the time I got home it was a grinding POS. I was loathe to ride it another damn inch. WTF So right there is the reason I never rode much in winter. And yes, I have fenders and boot mud flap on the front.

I had some days like that in Vietnam with my SS Rohloff. So I spent all this summer making myself a CF chain cover. Problem solved. Not sure how much dust will get at it yet, the hole is pretty big because of the crank.
Old 12-25-16, 01:16 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Blond
If someone was riding a bike for 3 months and never cleaned his chain just kept adding lube on line and a lot of muck formed around the chain and groupset, how much will this affect your speed vs a very clean and well new lubricated chain and groupset?

Furthermore, how much does an old groupset which is nearly worn out affect speed vs a new groupset which new componentry?

Thanks
Both questions refer to speed. If you never clean your drive train the muck build up will eventually cause the derailleur to stop working, hence, no speed. If your group-set is shot, poor shifting, chain skipping, = no speed.
Old 12-25-16, 01:56 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I pick up about 1mph after clean and lube. Hesitant shifts become crisp. And that is after a chain that probably looks clean to most people.
Though the very subtle added smoothness probably accounts for half the gain; just makes me want to push a little harder.
Old 12-25-16, 02:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ah the Blonde is starting to show

Test and Report back . measure while dirty , clean every thing and Measure Again..

why take the opinions of strangers ..

Pros racing Cyclocross have a whole extra Bike and someone to hose off the Mud , so a Lot of Mud definitely

as should be obvious to any one, will affect your lap times , particularly if the wheels wont roll..

... Ho, ho, ho etc.
Old 12-25-16, 07:46 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ive always made it a common practice in using WD40 for cleaning the front and rear sprockets as well as the chains and even cables. I ride commonly on lightly crushed gravel and usually clean them up about twice a month. I put the bike on the hoist, spray heavily while cranking, then soaking letting it drip off, wipe off access grime and re-spray again ,oil it back up including the inside gears and shes good to go.

I dont know what true if any effect it has on speed. I would think there are a lot of variables involved in each case. But at minimum its good maintenance keeping the bike in top shape