Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Are Candies considered better than bare Beaters?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 11-05-18, 11:24 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Eggbeaters seem like the fave CX pedal. But it seems like the Candy w a platform might be preferable over the bare cage Egg. Whattaya think? Are platforms handy in the hurdy-gurdy and argy-bargy of CX? Is a platform easier to sail into barriers on while standing on your instep? Is a platform easier to find on a remount? Do platforms always clog easier?
Old 07-02-19, 09:12 PM
skyemcd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not an expert at all but my understanding is that eggbeaters shed mud better and are slightly lighter. I don't see much of an advantage to the platform so eggbeaters would be preferable. That being said if you have candies just use them. Personally, I run Shimano because they are better.
Old 07-03-19, 08:42 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Are shimanos quite a bit diff from ea other, b/w models? I've been using SPDs for years. they clog up and suck and ruin races for me. i'm done w them. but there's another shim that is awesome? well, i now have both eggs and candies and will be using them this season to check em out. but i'm curious about this shim sitch
Old 07-03-19, 02:16 PM
skyemcd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest with you I only race Shimanos because that's what my team races making it easy to grab a bike from a teammate if I have a mechanical. I also like being able to dial my float, I don't have any crank brothers pedals but my understanding is you can't change the float. I will be looking into getting a pair of egg beaters this season for the mud.
Old 08-05-19, 07:11 PM
ziggie204

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've raced both and preferred the platforms over bare eggbeaters. The platform was especially helpful when I couldn't get the cleat engaged right away and I thought the power transfer was a bit better though maybe that part is in my head. That said, for me, SPD's are the way to go. I just can't reliably engage the eggbeater at starts, it was costing me races. I don't have that issue with SPD's.
Old 08-27-19, 03:24 PM
tpower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have Candy on all my bikes. The only time I had issue getting in or out is when my cleat was coming loose.
Old 09-06-19, 11:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the Shimano MTB pedals are basically the same design, just in varying weights. I've had the same pair of XT's on my CX bike for years and the only time I've had trouble was in a super sandy race, where after running sections I couldn't get them to clip back in. A few bangs with my foot on each side knocked enough dirt out get them going again.

I like the engagement of the SPDs, and I've never pulled out of them accidentally. That said, I might pick up a pair of Eggbeaters this year to try.