Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
...and what's wrong with that? At least it was short.
Withholding judgment on the why. Interested in the how.

And it's getting longer.
Old 11-06-19, 11:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And it's getting longer.
twss
Old 11-06-19, 11:16 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,729 Posts
I will ride outdoors all winter and all you bastids will still be faster than me. Braving the sub 60 and 50. degeee temperatures to boot. Not much high intensity stuff hence the slowness. Of course, I always can hang my hat on the fact that I am an owner of the awesome Marigold jacket.
Old 11-06-19, 11:17 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
How do people dig up obscure, old threads like the 98.5 or around the block one that was dormant for almost 9 years?
It's the related topics dealio at the bottom of the page.
Old 11-06-19, 11:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well... eh. Felt good to get in a workout, really good. Even with the drop in saddle time in the last month, I'm still hitting the trainer in better shape than usual. So I got that goin' fer me, which is nice.

The visuals and game aspect didn't do much for me, though. If I had people online and chatting, I could see how it could break the monotony and be a nice proxy for group rides when the weather isn't cooperative... but what about the most important part, the post-ride beers?
I'll follow you, Bro, but I only drink virtual beer.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-06-19, 11:20 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
It's the related topics dealio at the bottom of the page.
Yeah, whenever I notice them down below, they're all ancient.
Old 11-06-19, 11:24 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
How do people dig up obscure, old threads like the 98.5 or around the block one that was dormant for almost 9 years?
Search function and don't pay attention to dates.
Old 11-06-19, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rjones28
Search function and don't pay attention to dates.
But the thread is pretty unique/narrow. I could see if one were searching for a shoe or helmet thread.
Old 11-06-19, 11:30 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I dug this one up: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post21196365 by searching through the archives until I found what I believed to be the oldest thread still existing on Bikeforums.

I spent more time doing that than I care to admit.

This was also a special case because I wanted to find a 20-year-old post.
Old 11-06-19, 11:41 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Seems that what you want more of is slope mode, where the slope is set and resistance increases with increasing power.

But erg mode is good for a couple of things. I like it to help me stay in Zone 2 for instance. If I want to do an hour of zone 2, then I just call up a hour long zone 2 "interval" and don't worry about trying to adjust my effort to the virtual terrain. Same for tempo or threshold. Just start the workout, ride for whatever time and exit the workout.

The other is actual structured intervals. If I want to program a workout where intensity varies a lot with time, I'll use erg mode to 'help' keep me at that power level. You can vary cadence and the power will adjust accordingly. However, one has to be aware of the double feedback system between your own effort and the trainer trying to maintain a set power level.

I find it hard to actually maintain a given power level outdoors with terrain and traffic, so the trainer really helps.
Yeah, slope mode (hadn't heard of that before) sounds like it's more in line with the ol' KK and what I'd want to use most of the time.

Hadn't thought about the virtual terrain playing with effort - does it actually do stuff like reduce resistance on down slopes and make you crank up the wheelspeed to hit the your power figure (like IRL) or something? That'd be dumb.

And yeah, now that you mention it, there are some intervals that look totally stupid without erg - I'm thinking of those with a bunch of needles of high power. Frankly, I just avoid stuff that's crazy peaky like that.
Old 11-06-19, 11:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ksryder
I dug this one up: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post21196365 by searching through the archives until I found what I believed to be the oldest thread still existing on Bikeforums.

I spent more time doing that than I care to admit.

This was also a special case because I wanted to find a 20-year-old post.
Impressive. Kudos.
Old 11-06-19, 11:47 AM
ksryder

But the thread is pretty unique/narrow. I could see if one were searching for a shoe or helmet thread.
A fun thing about those ancient threads is to see the number of users on them who are now banned.

And then to do a little digging through their old posts and the Banned Users thread to try to piece together why.

It's fun because of the random and arbitrary way some of their posts get disappeared and some don't, and sometimes the banned user list gets updated and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes people get banned for talking about people who get banned.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 11-06-19, 11:48 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
And it's getting longer.
Wrong forum.
Old 11-06-19, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

A fun thing about those ancient threads is to see the number of users on them who are now banned.
I like your bump in General since it was done for an obvious and amusing reason.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-06-19, 11:58 AM
WhyFi

Goodness gracious. I was poking around the Flyfby section on the Zwift ride and saw a pic from one dude's ride - it showed 266 watts... and that was almost 5w/kg. Either that's a small dude or a big liar.
Old 11-06-19, 12:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Goodness gracious. I was poking around the Flyfby section on the Zwift ride and saw a pic from one dude's ride - it showed 266 watts... and that was almost 5w/kg. Either that's a small dude or a big liar.
There seems to be a lot of weight doping on Zwift.
Old 11-06-19, 12:26 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
There seems to be a lot of weight doping on Zwift.
I suppose that there's also the possibility that the w/kg calc was lagging behind the output and his power had just dropped/dipped?

edit: eh, maybe not. Max power on the ride was a hair over 300, which would put him at a more realistic (but still pretty light) weight, like @datlas territory.
Old 11-06-19, 12:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Crash on today’s ride due to lead rider colliding with a deer. The deer ran away. Rider has concussion. He will be ok, I expect he will be off the bike for a few weeks.

Stupid deer.
Old 11-06-19, 12:32 PM
ksryder

I suppose that there's also the possibility that the w/kg calc was lagging behind the output and his power had just dropped/dipped?

edit: eh, maybe not. Max power on the ride was a hair over 300, which would put him at a more realistic (but still pretty light) weight, like @datlas territory.
There's a lot of cheating on Zwift.

I haven't done a great deal of group rides on Zwift because for the most part I'm content to go climb the Austrian mountain if I have an hour or the Alpe du Zwift if I have 1.5 hours. The handful of group rides or races I've done have gotten strung out and disorganized in a hurry, and there seems to be a lot of sandbagging even in the C and D groups, and the lag time between my output and when my little Zwifty Avatar responds still throws me off.

But all that said I've found the group rides are kind of fun and are a good way to get in a quick workout as well.

Apparently there are various Discord serves set up so you can put on a set of earbuds with a mic and log in to Discord and chat with others in real time while you're all on Zwift. I've never had any success actually talking to other people though, I always seem to miss the rides in which that is taking place.
Old 11-06-19, 12:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Zwifting in progress. Come at me, bros.
Ride On!
Old 11-06-19, 12:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Yeah, I worded it poorly, I should have said that the output stays put, rather than the resistance. In any event, it's the idea of that inverse reaction that I'm not so keen on - if I'm motoring down the road, and I do nothing but increase my cadence, my resistance and output will both increase. If I'm looking to get stronger in the real world, I don't see why I'd want the mechanics to be totally out of sync with that. And yeah, shifting in the real world obviously lets you hunt for the right zone for desired cadence/torque/output, but there's still that difficult second-to-second variability that you mention, and I feel like dealing with that is important to the struggle.

I only have a couple of IRL friends that train with smart trainers, so the sample size doesn't mean anything, but TBH, they're not as strong IRL as they are on the trainer. One of the guys in particular is within 10-15w of my trainer FTP, but a good deal lighter (prolly 30lbs, even now). Yes, my short-term power curve is different than his, but there still should be lots of instances where he crushes me IRL... yet those moments don't materialize.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind on the matter should I buy a new toy trainer in the near future.
FWIW, when I do group rides on Zwift with my friends, I routinely get dropped by them even though IRL I have no trouble riding with them and even dropping them. One feature I dislike is Zwift seems to exaggerate the effect of the draft, so once you are off the back (thanks Verizon FIOS!), you have little chance of getting back on. I don’t take any of this virtual riding seriously since it’s clearly artificial, so it does not bother me one bit. It is still fun and holds my attention, which I can’t say for a dumb trainer.
Old 11-06-19, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

This day is dragging.
Old 11-06-19, 12:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

There's a lot of cheating on Zwift.

I haven't done a great deal of group rides on Zwift because for the most part I'm content to go climb the Austrian mountain if I have an hour or the Alpe du Zwift if I have 1.5 hours. The handful of group rides or races I've done have gotten strung out and disorganized in a hurry, and there seems to be a lot of sandbagging even in the C and D groups, and the lag time between my output and when my little Zwifty Avatar responds still throws me off.

But all that said I've found the group rides are kind of fun and are a good way to get in a quick workout as well.

Apparently there are various Discord serves set up so you can put on a set of earbuds with a mic and log in to Discord and chat with others in real time while you're all on Zwift. I've never had any success actually talking to other people though, I always seem to miss the rides in which that is taking place.
+1 on Discord for voice chat. It’s great when I do a ride with my friends. We usually have our own private Discord channel. I have done some larger group rides with a Discord channel, and that’s ok but you are talking to strangers. So not as intimate. I am surprised Zwift does not have its own native talk/chat option.
Old 11-06-19, 12:41 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Yeah, slope mode (hadn't heard of that before) sounds like it's more in line with the ol' KK and what I'd want to use most of the time.

Hadn't thought about the virtual terrain playing with effort - does it actually do stuff like reduce resistance on down slopes and make you crank up the wheelspeed to hit the your power figure (like IRL) or something? That'd be dumb.

And yeah, now that you mention it, there are some intervals that look totally stupid without erg - I'm thinking of those with a bunch of needles of high power. Frankly, I just avoid stuff that's crazy peaky like that.
Zwift is pretty much slope mode unless using erg with either a workout or another software controlling your trainer. So, yeah, in slope mode it sets an incline and then adjusts resistance according to the power you are applying and yes, it will reduce resistance going downhill, so you have to pedal harder to maintain a constant power. You can even get into a Froome like "supertuck" position at a decline of over 3% and speed of over ~36mph with a power of <~10 watts.

Also, those really spiked power intervals are hard for some trainers. A 15 second high power interval may take 2-3 seconds to ramp up after a 2-3 second lag and another few to level out and by then its over and while you're trying to hold watts and then recover, your trainer is lagging. What's kind of interesting, is that you can kind of override the interval target for a short bit. As an example, say you want to do a Z2 effort with a few max effort sprints. You can just do that. Set up a long Z2 interval and then whenever you want, sprint and then settle back into Z2. It doesn't seem to want to maintain a set power if it detects a large enough increase in power. It may just be my trainer too, I don't know.

Last edited by mvnsnd; 11-06-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 01:01 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Crash on today’s ride due to lead rider colliding with a deer. The deer ran away. Rider has concussion. He will be ok, I expect he will be off the bike for a few weeks.

Stupid deer.
That's, like, the third significant injury you've told us about on one of your epic Wednesdays. You guys are extremely hard core or really klutzy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.