Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just curious.. backpack question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Just curious.. backpack question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 09:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Speaking of backpacks, CamelBaks, jersey pockets and sweaty backs, anything that can't get wet better be in something waterproof if it is going in a jersey pocket. That folded up cue sheet is one example. There's always a chance that your GPS phone/electronic device will die and leave you with no direction out in the middle of BF--------(fill in the blank) It happened to me one time on a century in mid/late August in the sweltering heat/humidity of VA. I ended up doing 155 miles before I finally got back to the start/finish line. You can never have too much water capacity. I was stopping and filling up my bottles at rural churches at their outdoor faucets. I was at this rural school getting my bearings when the phone died. I took off hoping I was headed in the right direction only to end up back at that same f-n school about an hour later. Very demoralizing, to say the least.

Last edited by seypat; 05-19-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-19-20, 12:12 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Speaking of backpacks, CamelBaks, jersey pockets and sweaty backs, anything that can't get wet better be in something waterproof if it is going in a jersey pocket. That folded up cue sheet is one example.
This is a derail, but if you've never used waterproof paper, I recommend it. There are two kinds: there's printer paper, which is really a sort of printable plastic (different kinds for inkjets and laser printers), and notebooks, which use a sort of wax-coated paper that requires a special pen to write on. I've used both for different purposes. The printable stuff is extremely durable and looks great when printed.
Old 05-19-20, 12:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
"A lot"?

Can't say that I've run in to this, but I usually only buy one or two new jerseys per year. What manufacturers are making tiny pockets?
Firms which cater to the performance crowd like Pactimo for instance. Pockets add weight, limit evaporation, and catch wind, don't you know? I have a jersey where it's hard to get 3 fingers in the pockets. Skin tight, man, just like in all those product photos of the Beautiful People. I can only wear it in my thin phase. Wonderful jersey though. I wear it on hot event rides, where it's the almost perfect thing. I usually put a Camelbak over it. - decreases wind resistance enough that they're UCI banned. Every little advantage, that's what I say. They used to shove sponges down their jersey backs. Maybe that's illegal now too.
Old 05-19-20, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I use a small hydration pack with the bladder removed to carry my tubes and repair kit. The pack is designed so there is space between your back and the pack. A lot of the newer jerseys pockets are designed to hold gel but not much else.
Huh. That's not the case with Castelli. In fact the Podio jersey, which is my all-around racing and training jersey has a dropped pocket that extends below the hem. It fits better and it holds all sorts of stuff. I've gone out with phone, key, a small ziploc with ID, CC, and money, an epi-pen, armwarmers, and gloves. Oh and a gel.

As for tubes and repair kit, I use a saddle bag.
Old 05-19-20, 12:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Speaking of backpacks, CamelBaks, jersey pockets and sweaty backs, anything that can't get wet better be in something waterproof if it is going in a jersey pocket. That folded up cue sheet is one example. There's always a chance that your GPS phone/electronic device will die and leave you with no direction out in the middle of BF--------(fill in the blank) It happened to me one time on a century in mid/late August in the sweltering heat/humidity of VA. I ended up doing 155 miles before I finally got back to the start/finish line. You can never have too much water capacity. I was stopping and filling up my bottles at rural churches at their outdoor faucets. I was at this rural school getting my bearings when the phone died. I took off hoping I was headed in the right direction only to end up back at that same f-n school about an hour later. Very demoralizing, to say the least.
No kidding. Back when I randoed, I'd have a Garmin on a battery pack and a wired computer, plus a cue sheet. Always bring a ziploc to the start if you didn't put your own cue sheet in a bag ahead of time. People would ask me why I have a cue sheet displayed. Maybe some day they'd find out. Actually, I also bring a spare cue sheet in another ziploc in my saddle bag, still do. I once lost a cue sheet trying to turn it over and immediately go lost, back before bike electronics.
Old 05-19-20, 01:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Firms which cater to the performance crowd like Pactimo for instance. Pockets add weight, limit evaporation, and catch wind, don't you know? I have a jersey where it's hard to get 3 fingers in the pockets. Skin tight, man, just like in all those product photos of the Beautiful People. I can only wear it in my thin phase. Wonderful jersey though. I wear it on hot event rides, where it's the almost perfect thing. I usually put a Camelbak over it. - decreases wind resistance enough that they're UCI banned. Every little advantage, that's what I say. They used to shove sponges down their jersey backs. Maybe that's illegal now too.
I've neither owned nor fondled Pactimo, so I'll have take your word for it. Still, Pactimo isn't exactly a super common brand so saying that "a lot" of jerseys can only fit gels seems like some fine hyperbole.
Old 05-19-20, 11:45 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I commuted with a backpack for about a week. Humid mornings and sweat rolling down by back and saturating my undies was enough for me to get saddle bags. This was with a very pricy "cycling" backpack.