Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me build my "Bertoni Crono"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me build my "Bertoni Crono"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 08:52 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Classic or modern group, I am still trying to decide on which way to go. I like the Aero look of the more modern groupsets....some difficult decisions ahead.
I contacted VeloCals about some decals and will need to decide about the color that I decide to order. ...classic blue or perhaps subtle gold?
No "built" front wheel located yet so I may need to build one from the ground up.

I couldn't resist putting on a few pieces to begin to see what it might look like.....I am getting more excited about seeing it completed but not in any rush!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-07-20, 11:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I had no idea anyone would rebuild and ride such a bike, it seems so ridiculously impractical! Like a 6-wheeled Tyrrell in bicycle form.

Hats off to you, seriously. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Maybe you should criticize, then offer encouragement.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 06-08-20, 04:28 PM
xiaoman1 

What group should I consider...decisions, decisions.

Black Campy group

or Shiny slightly newer more aero?

found a set of original wheels from a Q.R. Tri-Bike and thought that they all came with 650c's but as you can see the tires are marked 26-7/8 or 26-1/8....I thought all Q.R's came with 650c...now I am really confused.
​​​​​​​Best, Ben
Old 06-08-20, 05:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I don't speak Campagnolo, but I think the Ultegra 6500 has the most 'organic' aero design:

Old 06-08-20, 06:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I don't speak Campagnolo, but I think the Ultegra 6500 has the most 'organic' aero design:
ICM,
You are probably correct the Ultegra Groups along with Suntour Superbe are among some of the most beautiful that I have seen and although the bike will not be restored to original spec, I would still like to stay with Campagnolo for the main group....However, the wheels are another story.
Best, Ben
Old 06-08-20, 07:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Looks like your SR rear mech lost its ti bolts. Grrr. Maybe you could polish and paint 'em a graphite color. The rest of it looks pretty nice.
Old 06-08-20, 09:15 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
What group should I consider...decisions, decisions.

or Shiny slightly newer more aero?

found a set of original wheels from a Q.R. Tri-Bike and thought that they all came with 650c's but as you can see the tires are marked 26-7/8 or 26-1/8....I thought all Q.R's came with 650c...now I am really confused.
Best, Ben
BITD, 650c was also referred to as 26" road.
Old 06-08-20, 11:08 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Looks like your SR rear mech lost its ti bolts. Grrr. Maybe you could polish and paint 'em a graphite color. The rest of it looks pretty nice.
SR, Yes a bit of a problem and your solution makes sense since it will never be perfect!...how did you get away writing GRRR without a scolding from the A.I.monitor....I used it earlier and could not post. hey it got by this time!

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
BITD, 650c was also referred to as 26" road.
Ex Pres, Thanks for the reply would you say that the tire marked 26 would fit on a 650c? I thought 650c was 571 and 26 was 559...so accordingly the tire is only 1/8" larger and the wheel is 12mm smaller, is it a wash? Can you still get gum wall 23's in 26?

Thanks for both the replies, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 06-08-20 at 11:16 PM. Reason: scratching my head a bit more!
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-08-20, 11:46 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
SR, Yes a bit of a problem and your solution makes sense since it will never be perfect!...how did you get away writing GRRR without a scolding from the A.I.monitor....
​​​​​​I use "grrr" regularly without problems...
BTW are you guys sure the bottom SR bolt is not Al? I don't see a speck of rust on the scratches. But I've got bad eyes.
I stayed with SR, and have an early Hed freewheel type disc on the rear. Some day I would like to find/cut a nice set of bullhorns. The ones I'm using are toomodern looking for my taste. Good times! Keep updating.
Old 06-09-20, 02:45 AM
Alsobay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
The frameset though!!!!!!! A thing of beauty!!!!!
Old 06-09-20, 09:14 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
​​​​​​I use "grrr" regularly without problems...
BTW are you guys sure the bottom SR bolt is not Al? I don't see a speck of rust on the scratches. But I've got bad eyes.
I stayed with SR, and have an early Hed freewheel type disc on the rear. Some day I would like to find/cut a nice set of bullhorns. The ones I'm using are toomodern looking for my taste. Good times! Keep updating.
Lr, I think you are right that appear to be aluminum...not a campy expert would they be correct they do not appear as repops because the have the "Campagnolo" on them.

Originally Posted by Alsobay
The frameset though!!!!!!! A thing of beauty!!!!!
I very much like it too simple, elegant!
Ben

Cleaned the bars last night after work and they came out nice but discovered the 3ttt stem to have the clamp bolt stripped and also measuring way too large for the "Moscow" 25.8 dia. bar.
I like the color on the 3TTT better than the Cinelli...Something else to look for.

what color is the 3ttt called?
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-09-20, 12:59 PM
Last ride 76 

My guess is '79-80ish... I think that's when there was a Ti shortage... Strategic supply issues between the USA and the USSR, IIRC. So you got the rarer, lighter (and more fragile) bolts for your "Crono". Darn. I've never broken one. Knock on wood. +1 on painted flutes.
Old 06-09-20, 02:58 PM
xiaoman1 

My guess is '79-80ish... I think that's when there was a Ti shortage... Strategic supply issues between the USA and the USSR, IIRC. So you got the rarer, lighter (and more fragile) bolts for your "Crono". Darn. I've never broken one. Knock on wood. +1 on painted flutes.
Yes, one lucky guy alright, at one-time aluminum was more pricey than gold.... along with the front wheel I wonder how hard it will be to find a stem in that color...thanks for the positive comment on the flutes.
A rear disc is not currently in my PR, hard enough to find a reasonably priced complete front wheel.
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 06-09-20 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-09-20, 03:43 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Yes, one lucky guy alright, at one-time aluminum was more pricey than gold.... along with the front wheel I wonder how hard it will be to find a stem in that color...thanks for the positive comment on the flutes.
A rear disc is not currently in my PR, hard enough to find a reasonably priced complete front wheel.
Ben
So the picture above is not of a QRoo 650c wheelset you bought?
Old 06-10-20, 11:30 AM
Last ride 76 

I tried to send you a post earlier about that. 650c's come up, as do sets of lo-pros at good prices. I got a 650c Lightspeed Blade frame ,5 years ago, and then I had "licence" to buy any cool 650 wheels that came along... Traded spinergy pair, for Hed 400 and those for the specialized Tri spokes I have now.... But I sold the Kestrel 500Sci framea month ago... Point is they come, just be lurking in all the usual places,(Tri-boards too).

I have a Rolf Vector Pro tub, 650c 18h (with paired spacing) NOS, yours for shipping if you would like it. I bought I when I was feeling like you are now, and then suddenly I had too many, and sold excess off a year ago. I alsohalso a pair of 650c 24h 650c tub. Elite Pros, NOS to get rid of too.
Old 06-10-20, 05:32 PM
xiaoman1 

I tried to send you a post earlier about that. 650c's come up, as do sets of lo-pros at good prices. I got a 650c Lightspeed Blade frame ,5 years ago, and then I had "licence" to buy any cool 650 wheels that came along... Traded spinergy pair, for Hed 400 and those for the specialized Tri spokes I have now.... But I sold the Kestrel 500Sci framea month ago... Point is they come, just be lurking in all the usual places,(Tri-boards too).

I have a Rolf Vector Pro tub, 650c 18h (with paired spacing) NOS, yours for shipping if you would like it. I bought I when I was feeling like you are now, and then suddenly I had too many, and sold excess off a year ago. I alsoh also a pair of 650c 24h 650c tub. Elite Pros, NOS to get rid of too.
Where was I a year ago? I sent you a PM. Many thanks for the reply, Ben
Old 06-11-20, 01:08 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Lr, I think you are right that appear to be aluminum...not a campy expert would they be correct they do not appear as repops because the have the "Campagnolo" on them.

I very much like it too simple, elegant!
Ben

Cleaned the bars last night after work and they came out nice but discovered the 3ttt stem to have the clamp bolt stripped and also measuring way too large for the "Moscow" 25.8 dia. bar.
I like the color on the 3TTT better than the Cinelli...Something else to look for.

what color is the 3ttt called?
Hi Ben! Nice bar... hmmmmmm i guess the color of the stem is this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223650802442

Its 25.8 but im not sure about the price and the length.
I might consider matching the stem to the seat post and bar, but its just my opinion.

Last edited by Lattz; 06-11-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 02:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Lattz
Hi Ben! Nice bar... hmmmmmm i guess the color of the stem is this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223650802442

Its 25.8 but im not sure about the price and the length.
I might consider matching the stem to the seat post and bar, but its just my opinion.
Latz, You may be right about the stem....hard to tell mine has sort of a greenish cast the one on eBay seems more grey but perhaps it's just the photo.
I may go with a standard color stem after all.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-17-20, 12:07 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Hi Ben! Any updates on tap? Did you get those nice wheels shown earlier? I have checked and I afraid with clincher skinwalls you (and everybody) in 650C might be outta luck. Even the selection is not huge for black ones mostly Conti GP and CST Czar. Not that the tubular front would be sunnier but tjere seems to be more used stuff on the market. At least here.
Old 06-18-20, 03:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Hi Ben! Any updates on tap? Did you get those nice wheels shown earlier? I have checked and I afraid with clincher skinwalls you (and everybody) in 650C might be outta luck. Even the selection is not huge for black ones mostly Conti GP and CST Czar. Not that the tubular front would be sunnier but tjere seems to be more used stuff on the market. At least here.
Lattz,
I am making a little progress and have started the clean-up on the bars....lots of glue residue but they came out well. I am still debating on the decal colors, not sure if I will go with the original dark blue, red or subtle gold yet.
I found the brake-set I was thinking about using (pics) but also considering a graphite group too.
Super record crank in silver or black?
A lot of fun just thinking about the combinations and in no rush...COVID time so enjoying the pace.
Best, Ben

120 may be too long so 100 maybe in the future...no install because they bump into the top tube and I don't want any dents there.

I like the simplicity of these.

Definitely in need of some work.

Best, Ben

Old 06-19-20, 11:25 AM
Lattz

Lattz,
I am making a little progress and have started the clean-up on the bars....lots of glue residue but they came out well. I am still debating on the decal colors, not sure if I will go with the original dark blue, red or subtle gold yet.
I found the brake-set I was thinking about using (pics) but also considering a graphite group too.
Super record crank in silver or black?
A lot of fun just thinking about the combinations and in no rush...COVID time so enjoying the pace.
Best, Ben

120 may be too long so 100 maybe in the future...no install because they bump into the top tube and I don't want any dents there.

I like the simplicity of these.

Definitely in need of some work.

Best, Ben

Hi Ben, the parts look gorgeous. I always liked the monoplaner brakes, they are a notable entity on their own. If you allow a comment on the decal question, I might consider white because of the existence of the white Columbus label on the fork (otherwise I'd go with black). Matching to the seat would work, but would be impossible remotely with the decal Co. and simple red is hmm.. Was fooling around a bit, let me know what you think. Don't take it as engineering work, rather like loose artists interpretation on a similar set of tube like yours.

I can send you the logo svg ive created so you can recolor and print to see which works best on the bike.

Keep up the good work!

Lattz

Last edited by Lattz; 06-19-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 01:45 PM
Lattz

On second thought, with a graphite gruppo, and the dark rims and tire, maybe black might be the go...

Btw, what do you mean under black Super Record crank? Is there such a thing? Or you mean some newer tech?
As far as I know, the old Super Record you've shown earlier was only made in silver. Gipiemme made similar cranks, but I think also there only the rings were black. Did I miss something?

Oh, and do you already have the graphite gruppo, or thinking about getting one?

All the best, Lattz

Last edited by Lattz; 06-19-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 06:42 PM
xiaoman1 

Hi Ben, the parts look gorgeous. I always liked the monoplaner brakes, they are a notable entity on their own. If you allow a comment on the decal question, I might consider white because of the existence of the white Columbus label on the fork (otherwise I'd go with black). Matching to the seat would work, but would be impossible remotely with the decal Co. and simple red is hmm.. Was fooling around a bit, let me know what you think. Don't take it as engineering work, rather like loose artists interpretation on a similar set of tube like yours.

I can send you the logo svg ive created so you can recolor and print to see which works best on the bike.

Keep up the good work!

Lattz
Lattz,
Thanks for the great photoshopping ...I think I like the white given the fact that the fork logo is also white, I like the consistency to be honest that color never crossed my mind until seeing it in your artwork...White bar tape, cables as well as the white brake hoods would be the way to go.
I posted in the for sale section for a wheel and am going to look at a few this next week so I may have solved that problem....but I am considering tubulars instead of clinchers because I have a few 700c hanging in my workshop and if I could get a close match I would lean in that direction.
I did get the brakes and stem together for a trial fit but removed them because they were banging the TTube and I was worried about denting.
More to come, cant wait to find/fit a front wheel.
Best, Ben
Old 06-20-20, 08:36 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
xiaoman1 Lattz

Check out the 650c Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 clinchers i found and ordered.

https://worldclasscycles.com/product...-clincher-650/

Likes For malcala622:
Old 06-20-20, 09:47 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by malcala622
xiaoman1 Lattz

Check out the 650c Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 clinchers i found and ordered.

https://worldclasscycles.com/product...-clincher-650/
Miguel,
You sure are the "supersleuth", I will check with them and send my tubulars back.
Many thanks for the help.
Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.