Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ideale 90 is back

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ideale 90 is back

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 02:14 PM
HeikoS69

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I am not sure I'm understanding what Katia said on CR: but I believe she meant to say they use leather from deceased dairy cows, rather than beef cattle; the latter may have a spongy quality. But as I say, I may have misunderstood her on this matter.
The information is correct. The reason could be that the average age of the slaughtered cattle, beef cattle apx. 18 to 24 month, cows at least 3years, in some cases older than ten years.

Originally Posted by scarlson
Even between 2002 and now, I see a difference. I have ridden a B17 Champion Special since 2002 on multiple multi-month tours and I distinctly remember it being very uncomfortable at first, but I've had the thing just a hair more than half my life and it's really held up. So I bought another one last year at an unbelievable price from SJS Cycles and put it on my Trek. After several hundred miles, it appears to be in the same condition as my 18 year old one. I'm really hoping I don't have to punch holes and lace it. Kind of kicking myself for selling an old Team Pro I found years ago, but that thing was absolutely rock hard and it seemed no amount of breaking in would change it. I was just a kid though.
The problem is older ...
(Rebours book from 1975, p. 113):
"Jadis, une seule selle était pratiquement utilisée par tous, c'était la BROOKS « B.17 » anglaise. En cuir de première qualité, sa forme était rationnelle et son confort, une fois bien « rodée », était parfait. Malheureusement, la qualité du cuir d'après-guerre n'est plus la même, le principe même de fabrication de cette selle, ainsi que sa forme, ont été modifiés et actuellement, il n'y a pas un coureur sur cent qui l'utilise encore.
Disons aussi que la selle classique en cuir présente un inconvénient sérieux.
Aujourd'hui, les coureurs courent presque toute l'année, et ils n'ont plus comme jadis cette longue période de creux, entre septembre et avril, où ils pouvaient « faire » une nouvelle selle, celle-ci, neuve, étant très dure et risquant de blesser le cycliste."
Translation:
"In the past, only one saddle was used by almost everyone, it was the English BROOKS "B.17". Made of top quality leather, its shape was rational and its comfort, once well "run in", was perfect. Unfortunately, the quality of the post-war leather is no longer the same, the very principle of manufacturing this saddle, as well as its shape, have been modified and at present, not one rider in a hundred still uses it.
Let's also say that the classic leather saddle has a serious disadvantage.
Nowadays, riders race almost all year round, and they no longer have that long period of time between September and April when they could "make" a new saddle, as this new saddle is very hard and can injure the rider."

Last edited by HeikoS69; 03-08-24 at 08:27 AM.
Likes For HeikoS69:
Old 07-01-20, 03:58 PM
Numenor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
but Brooks is still Brooks....
Old 07-02-20, 03:59 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by HeikoS69
The information is correct. The reason could be that the average age of the slaughtered cattle, beef cattle apx. 18 to 24 month, cows at least 3years, in some cases older than ten years.
​​​​​​Nonetheless, I still don't understand why the hide of an older cow should be preferred to that of a young one, once they reach full size. They're not trees-- they don't have annual growth rings. As far as I know, the only thing that happens to an animal's hide, once it gets to maturity, is damage.

So I have a hard time believing that it's the cows' fault the leather isn't any good. The animals haven't changed. If there's a real difference in the quality of the leather (which I don't doubt) the problem is in the tanning.
Old 07-02-20, 05:45 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Just spit-balling here---

Could antibiotics, hormones and other dietary conditions impact hide quality? Do the most cost effective hides come from feed-lot cattle? Would a free-range hide be different? Of course I have no way to answer any of these questions!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-02-20, 06:13 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Just because bones aren't getting longer doesn't mean the composition of the specimen (human, cow, dog, etc) isn't changing. I'm 66 and I can tell you for sure that my skin ain't what it was when I was 26. It seems quite possible that the properties of leather made from 18-month old and ten-year old cattle might be different.
Old 07-02-20, 06:19 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Idealé 90 never left (in my book).

Old 07-02-20, 07:26 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Modern Brooks saddles are fine but the quality looks to be nowhere near these new Ideale saddles. Like it or not, Brooks is a relatively large company and you can see the effect that cost-savings have had on the materials and consistency of their saddles.

The real excitement for me of the Ideale model is the return of the open-nose saddle. To me looks much more natural on a vintage bike.