Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Jogger ran into me.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Jogger ran into me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 06:40 PM
sinjun

Bikes: Workswell Carbon road bike and flyxll Carbon hard tall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jogger ran into me.

This evening at my local mtb trail a female jogger ran into my handle bars, she said she was sorry. I would have rode wide but I thought she would step aside. In all the years I've been riding joggers have always stepped to the side, and yielded to the biker. She could get herself hurt not yielding. Or am I in the wrong and bikers should yield to joggers?
Old 06-27-16, 07:12 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Hikers and runners yield to bikers. In areas where horses are allowed, bikers yield to horses.
Old 06-27-16, 07:37 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I bet she was wearing ear pods.... and never "heard" you coming
Old 06-27-16, 07:39 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Hikers and runners yield to bikers.
That's certainly not what I've heard and read, nor what's on the signage on many trails:

Also seems more reasonable for the faster cyclist to be responsible for staying out of the way of a slower moving hiker. But in practice it works best for everyone to cooperate in avoiding collisions and to act predictably so you don't startle other trail users.
Old 06-27-16, 08:07 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by prathmann
That's certainly not what I've heard and read, nor what's on the signage on many trails:

Also seems more reasonable for the faster cyclist to be responsible for staying out of the way of a slower moving hiker. But in practice it works best for everyone to cooperate in avoiding collisions and to act predictably so you don't startle other trail users.
Wow! Very similar sign at the entrance to our trail with the exception of hikers/runners yield to bikers. Simply switch the hiker and biker. I actually was hoping to post our sign but couldn't find it on google. However here's a link to our trail. I'm fortunate to live only a couple of blocks from it. However I don't mountain bike, used to just run on the river trail portion. The real riders take the racing and difficult rated course and generally stay off the river trail.
Cameron Park, Trail Map - Parks & Recreation - City of Waco, Texas

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-27-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 08:09 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann

This is how I was indoctrinated.
Old 06-28-16, 06:52 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes yield to all other trail users; descending users yield to ascending users.
It's always been this way.

In the majority of cases hikers/runners do step aside & let bikers pass, but only do so if they give you the OK.
Old 06-28-16, 07:06 AM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy All;

Kinda goes back to the days of Marine Navigation, Up stream yields to downstream,
power yields to sail. The object with the better maneuvering abilities yields to the
less maneuverable.

hank
Old 06-28-16, 08:07 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Hikers and runners yield to bikers. In areas where horses are allowed, bikers yield to horses.
As mentioned above, bikers yield to everybody. We're the fastest and also the most dangerous trail users. I count myself lucky if a hiker yields to me when I'm headed up the hill and they're headed down.
Old 06-28-16, 12:47 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sinjun
This evening at my local mtb trail a female jogger ran into my handle bars, she said she was sorry. I would have rode wide but I thought she would step aside. In all the years I've been riding joggers have always stepped to the side, and yielded to the biker. She could get herself hurt not yielding. Or am I in the wrong and bikers should yield to joggers?
This sounds like you ran into a pedestrian.
Old 06-28-16, 12:57 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have always thought on multi-use bikes yield to everything, but the link to the waco trail page definitely says hikers and joggers yield to bikers. I wonder if it is the difference in how they became multi-use? ie: bike specific trails where foot traffic is now allowed vs hiking trails where bikes are now allowed.
Old 06-28-16, 01:23 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I'd never heard of this, but a google image search "trail rules yield to bicycles" does find one example of walker yield to bike. All the other examples are bike yield to everything.

Typical:

The one example.
On Getty Images, for sale! This is badly designed for a quick understanding at a glance, aside from being a bad idea. It reads like "Hikers above bikes, and above horses" !!

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-28-16 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 02:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Don't ride in a fashion that you expect other trail users to dive into the bushes to get out of your way, and always expect the unexpected.

I don't do the MTB thing, but I frequently hit the MUPS. I always slow down around pedestrians, and give them a wide berth.

Legal requirements aside, it would be common courtesy for a hiker to step aside and let a biker past, but trail conditions vary so it isn't always possible, perhaps there is a family with youngsters. Maybe you aren't seen or heard for some reason. Just plan to be able to stop if needed.
Old 06-28-16, 02:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We have signs like those around here, but actual experience is that peds yield to bikes and once in a long while you might see a horse
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-28-16, 07:10 PM
sinjun

Bikes: Workswell Carbon road bike and flyxll Carbon hard tall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was back riding the trail again tonight and made a note to check all signage. Horses and pets are not allowed and their is no mention of who yields to who. As a matter of fact of all the trails I've ridden in the area I have never seen a sign like above.
Old 06-29-16, 11:05 AM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We have signs like those around here, but actual experience is that peds yield to bikes and once in a long while you might see a horse
I often see horses on the N side of Lake Natoma on the weekends. If they are right at the intersection with the ARBT I yield. If they're a little off or more, I don't slow down.
Old 06-30-16, 11:06 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by sinjun
I was back riding the trail again tonight and made a note to check all signage. Horses and pets are not allowed and their is no mention of who yields to who. As a matter of fact of all the trails I've ridden in the area I have never seen a sign like above.
Local posting is unimportant. Always yield to pedestrians.
Old 06-30-16, 03:36 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
When on two way trails where runners can be found I have my 'Ride Bell' activated,,they can hear me coming.
Had one group pull off the twisty trail three times because they thought I was about to 'Pop Out' of the trees, LoL
When we all met up at the picnic tables they told me it was loud and very effective.

I cannot Imagine hitting or being hit by a runner no matter what way the traffic is going..
If they do not hear me and I am behind them I slow down and make my presence known...
If we are 'Head on' politeness has always worked..
Runners are not allowed on Intermediate or advanced trails, where I ride, basically all one way bike trails are off limits to foot traffic.
All flat two way green level easy trails have decent two way visibility,,If not smart riders slow down a little so they wont run down mom and the kids
Old 06-30-16, 03:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I expect pedestrians to change course at the last second and run into me. I never pass a pedestrian at speed, wouldn't be prudent
Old 07-01-16, 06:39 AM
marcw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If coming from behind, how do you get a joggers attention with out startling them? Last few times I came behind a jogger i tried "excuse me", rustle some leaves so they hear me or make some other noise. What else to let them know without startling them?

I have a bell, but i think bells are annoying and just as bad as excuse me.
Old 07-01-16, 06:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by marcw
If coming from behind, how do you get a joggers attention with out startling them? Last few times I came behind a jogger i tried "excuse me", rustle some leaves so they hear me or make some other noise. What else to let them know without startling them?

I have a bell, but i think bells are annoying and just as bad as excuse me.
"Good morning" works, and I try not to wait until I'm only 1-2 seconds from passing.

I often pull both brake levers partway and let them go, and repeat a couple of times. It makes a clacking sound that's not too loud. I'd like to get a bell, to use when I'm quite far away, so the walkers have plenty of time to react.
Old 07-01-16, 06:55 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Salubrious
Local posting is unimportant. Always yield to pedestrians.
Although our sign says otherwise I agree. When out on the road cyclist are expected to abide by the same rules and laws as motorist, so why not on the trail? More to the point, pedestrians have the right of way, so yield to pedestrians.
Old 07-01-16, 07:48 AM
marcw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I'd like to get a bell, to use when I'm quite far away, so the walkers have plenty of time to react.
A reason I do not like a bells is that it is not directional. When i am a walker and hear a bell, I can not pinpoint the direction as easy as a voice so I need to look where the noise came from and then react. This is why i like "on your left/right" but my original issue is not to startle the jogger.