Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 09:22 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
16F yesterday - 45F this morning... with steady rain. While the overnight and morning rain has washed away a lot of the snow and ice, the stuff that remains is slicker than bug snot. Glad I left the studs on. Tomorrow morning we're back to the teens and all this stuff will freeze. Love me some winter commuting
Old 01-23-19, 09:28 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i drove today because i have to get back home and back across town to a meeting. it is a moment when I wish I had an ebike then maybe. I rode my trainer last night looking out the window thinking I might rather be outside riding.

After driving today though I am so done with it.
Old 01-23-19, 04:25 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
40F, misty. Was going to drive due to 8am dentist cleaning and 9:30 meeting, w/ opportunity to pick up donuts for the meeting in between, but absolute insanity on the freeway this morning according to traffic apps so rode after all. Parked the bike in the dentist stairwell as usual. No donuts for the meeting.

Old 01-23-19, 08:42 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
From today’s NYTimes. The AP photographer found these guys in Wisconsin
Appears to be looking southbound on N. Park St. at University Ave in Madison, the heart of the UW campus. We walked and wrenched over the long weekend, witnessed a respectable number of winter cylists, and a LOT of car drivers doing a LOT of dumb things. Amazing how many people can't get out of the curb lane, just because they don't have the sense to carry a folding shovel in the trunk.

Today: 20s F, snowing, continuation of a snowstorm that started yesterday. Total aprx. 7 inches. Streets had been plowed once overnight, but a lot had fallen since then. My street was not bad, but the cross streets crossing the isthmus were barely passable. This is N/S Paterson, crossing E. Washington. Heavy wet slush, soft ruts, with ice beneath:

Capital City path was much better, except for the windrows at the intersections:

Hard to tell from this shot, but there was only an inch or so of snow on the path, and little to no ice underneath. Indicates that it had been plowed, shortly before commute time. And quite possibly brushed after that. Snow was still coming down at a high rate; above was taken with a flash, which lit up the falling flakes immediately in front of the camera.

There's a bike elevator that takes you from the lake level to the Capitol level at Monona Terrace. Beats a sketchy ride up any of the unplowed Capitol Hill streets. This is from the parking ramp, just off the elevator. Lake Monona was a complete white-out.

Locker area had been plowed yesterday, but not today. Still quite accessible, and better than their past practice of plowing snow FROM the sidewalk INTO the locker area.

Teens tomorrow, barely above 0F Friday. THAT may put me on the bus.

Last edited by madpogue; 01-23-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 07:22 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@madpogue those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing them! be safe and enjoy your ride!
Old 01-24-19, 07:35 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Nice photo journal, @madpogue. Looks like a challenging commute.

Morning temperatures this week:
M: 20
T: 18
W: 33
T: 60
F: 30 (forecast)

Yes, 60F this morning. And raining lightly. My wife offered to take me to work, but I knew it wouldn't be bad. Had it been 40 instead of 60, I would have taken her up on it. Rain stopping shortly here, but temp stays about the same until nightfall.
Old 01-24-19, 08:36 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Today was one of those days where I question why I do this.

4F. 25+ mph wind blowing straight at me. -19F wind chill. The temp really wasn't too bad (my co-workers claim I'm lying), but the wind was brutal. I struggled to maintain 7 mph and could only hit 10 mph down hills if I was pedaling. My goggles iced over severely and I rode the last half mile with my head pointed at the sky so I could see through the little unfrozen slit left at the bottom. When I arrived I had a giant snotcicle hanging off my balaclava.

I am thankful that I have a flexible work situation and I was able to re-arrange locations today which dropped my commute from 20 miles down to 8. Not sure I would have made 20 miles today.

I'll be glad I rode today in July when I still have my streak going, but it's difficult to keep perspective in the midst of it.
Old 01-24-19, 08:48 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Nice photo journal, @madpogue. Looks like a challenging commute.

Morning temperatures this week:
M: 20
T: 18
W: 33
T: 60
F: 30 (forecast)

Yes, 60F this morning. And raining lightly. My wife offered to take me to work, but I knew it wouldn't be bad. Had it been 40 instead of 60, I would have taken her up on it. Rain stopping shortly here, but temp stays about the same until nightfall.
sounds like our forecast. such a confusing weather pattern.
Old 01-24-19, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Lucky this morning; it's right at freezing, and the streets are still wet from yesterday's rain, but the ground apparently is warm enough that the roads aren't icy. Yet.

Still, dark overcast and a slight tailwind that turned into a howling crosswind every time I turned west. (How's that work again?) I took a couple shortcuts today, and neither worked all that well. The "long light" turned green when I was a quarter mile out, meaning it was going to turn red as I got up to the light. So I cut down a side street, waited for the cross traffic that came down the main drag, ran 4-5 stop signs, and got back to my normal route just in time to watch as the traffic that I would have been leading (had I waited at the "long light") came cruising down the road as I waited at the stop sign.
Old 01-24-19, 09:05 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Today was one of those days where I question why I do this.
I'll be glad I rode today in July when I still have my streak going, but it's difficult to keep perspective in the midst of it.
I think you've mentioned you could work from home, but prefer not to due to distractions. Could you work on that situation as a possibility? Set some boundaries, lock a door, or have do not disturb / off limits times perhaps?
Old 01-24-19, 09:11 AM
arsprod 

@HardyWeinberg I love going to doc appointments by bike - great reactions from staff. My chiropractor ended up putting a bike rack in front of his office because of me!

Today was sloooooowwwww. 20F with what I expected to be a tailwind, really more of a crosswind. I'd also expected that all the rain from 24+ hours would result in patches of ice. I guess it did a better job of washing everything away because I could have easily ridden without studded tires.
Old 01-24-19, 09:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I think you've mentioned you could work from home, but prefer not to due to distractions. Could you work on that situation as a possibility? Set some boundaries, lock a door, or have do not disturb / off limits times perhaps?
Unfortunately, right now my home situation with my son isn't good. Just me being at home would be distracting. The situation is already distracting enough when I'm away.
Old 01-24-19, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by arsprod
@HardyWeinberg I love going to doc appointments by bike - great reactions from staff. My chiropractor ended up putting a bike rack in front of his office because of me!
Excellent! Yes I like that too. Our doc is only ~2 miles from my office so it's an easy ride from work.

Today, 44F and gray, clammy.
Old 01-24-19, 02:26 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I didn't get much sleep; stayed up late helping a friend build new wheels for his bike. When I got up, I heard heavy rain, so I put on a rain poncho and started riding to the station. Well, now it wasn't raining at all, and the temperature was in the upper 50's for the first time in weeks. Got much too warm on my ride.... ugh.
Old 01-24-19, 03:09 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wednesday: Morning wasn't bad, but my legs were grumbling all day long as I was on my feet all day. Going home wasn't bad until the last little stretch...

OK, so it's a 4 lane road (2 in each direction) with a bike lane. About a quarter mile out from a left turn I need to make, I signal, it's clear, and I move over to the left to wait at the light to make the turn. A guy in a silver Scion comes barreling up behind me (40mph limit here btw!), laying on the horn for like 15 straight seconds. I'm a little panicked but oh well, whatever, pressing on. Eventually he passes me on the right and loops back into the left turn lane I'm going into. I stop about 50 feet back to keep my options open in case he decides to get crazy. Sure enough, he opens his door, climbs out, and starts yelling at me. I just pointed at the light and said "I'm turning", and then the light changed and he got back into his car and drove off. It was a scary moment, though. Maybe it's time for me to get a can of pepper spray and mount it to my top tube.

Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for yesterday: 8/10, dude actually got out of his vehicle to yell at me in the road. Yikes.

Today: 31F when I left. The first 2 minutes of my ride are always cold, but then I'm warmed up enough to not notice much after that. The ride was okay. I pedaled easy because my legs are still dying for a rest day. And some people don't know what to make of a bike in a roundabout, which is silly, but hey, whatever, I guess. Oh, and this marks my first full work week of biking to and from work every day! I'm pretty proud of that.

Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for today: 0/10
Old 01-24-19, 05:02 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
OK, so it's a 4 lane road (2 in each direction) with a bike lane. About a quarter mile out from a left turn I need to make, I signal, it's clear, and I move over to the left to wait at the light to make the turn. A guy in a silver Scion comes barreling up behind me (40mph limit here btw!), laying on the horn for like 15 straight seconds. I'm a little panicked but oh well, whatever, pressing on. Eventually he passes me on the right and loops back into the left turn lane I'm going into. I stop about 50 feet back to keep my options open in case he decides to get crazy. Sure enough, he opens his door, climbs out, and starts yelling at me. I just pointed at the light and said "I'm turning", and then the light changed and he got back into his car and drove off. It was a scary moment, though. Maybe it's time for me to get a can of pepper spray and mount it to my top tube.
The guy actually getting out of his car because you had to go around him is insane. I really don't know what is wrong with people.

As for a left turn at an intersection like that, have you ever considered turning right, or waiting on the right, for the light to change, and then going across with the cross traffic? From motorcycle riding I know that waiting at lights is one of the most dangerous moments, and that's with bright tail/brake lights and sometimes a flashing turn signal. I'd feel even more vulnerable on my bike.
Old 01-24-19, 06:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Bonus ride today due to wife and nanny’s anticipated but unrealized schedule conflict. I might sneak out early and go the long way home.

edit: and he did.

I told my wife about this, she was unimpressed. But because of my upcoming medical, each ride like this might be the last one for a long time. She’d get it if I circled back and explained it, but nah.

I encountered a lot of deadwood including this poser that required some backtracking.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-24-19 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 07:17 AM
mgw4jc

Yesterday's ride home had a challenging wind most of the way. Lower gears & slower speeds. And my socks and shoes were not completely dried out from them morning rainy ride. That wind and dropping temps made for some cold toes by the time I got home.

Wife drove me to work today. A friend from church is supposed to pick me up after work so we can join others at the men's retreat. It was supposed to be last September, but one of those hurricanes delayed it.
Old 01-25-19, 07:41 AM
arsprod 

It's 4 and windy - I drove
Old 01-25-19, 10:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Same temperature as yesterday, but the sun was out, and it felt a lot warmer because of that.

Wish it would warm up so I could get a nice long ride in this weekend. Sure, I could, but at some point there's not much fun in a cold ride just to say I did it, and I can't even claim to be commuting if I end up back where I started.
Old 01-25-19, 10:31 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

38F, foggy

Likes For HardyWeinberg:
Old 01-25-19, 11:04 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Bonus ride today due to wife and nanny’s anticipated but unrealized schedule conflict. I might sneak out early and go the long way home.

edit: and he did.

I told my wife about this, she was unimpressed. But because of my upcoming medical, each ride like this might be the last one for a long time.
Looks like it was a nice one. Glad you enjoyed it, and it's always a nice surprise to see a few medals pop up on strava after a ride.

I hardly came across any riders on my way home last night, aside from delivery guys. Ok, it was 8:40pm and the roads were still wet in places, but it was really nice.
Old 01-25-19, 11:37 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I love going to doc appointments by bike - great reactions from staff. My chiropractor ended up putting a bike rack in front of his office because of me!
I do too. I figure if I can ride to my appointment then I must not be that bad off. At least I’m alive and kicking!
Old 01-25-19, 01:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
-9F at 07:00 CT. Two hours working from home, Front window looks onto a "bike boulevard" street. Typical morning commute features more bikes (aprx 50) than cars. Today, I counted three.

"Warmed up" to -2F by commute-in time, but I still opted for the bus. Looking out at the public bike parking racks outside the building, I see three bikes. All have snow piled on them, and are in the exact same position they were two days ago.

Forecast for the next week+ keeps changing, but in a nutshell, it's "when it's not blanking cold, it'll be snowing".
Old 01-25-19, 01:20 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OhLylo
Wednesday: Morning wasn't bad, but my legs were grumbling all day long as I was on my feet all day. Going home wasn't bad until the last little stretch...

Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for yesterday: 8/10, dude actually got out of his vehicle to yell at me in the road. Yikes.

Today: 31F when I left. The first 2 minutes of my ride are always cold, but then I'm warmed up enough to not notice much after that. The ride was okay. I pedaled easy because my legs are still dying for a rest day. And some people don't know what to make of a bike in a roundabout, which is silly, but hey, whatever, I guess. Oh, and this marks my first full work week of biking to and from work every day! I'm pretty proud of that.

Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for today: 0/10
That is crazy. I've never had anyone get of their vehicle and yell at me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.