Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1972 gold plated lambert bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 03:22 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Colnago gave one to the Pope.
I remember seeing photos of the bike. It was stunning.

My guess is that it was the penance for the language Ernesto used when he first learned about the "Windsor" stickers on Merckx's Hour Record bike.
Old 12-01-11, 04:22 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My memory of the gold plated Lamberts is that they're all off the original batch of bikes that were in production before the company went bankrupt. And therefore didn't deliver bikes to a lot of shops that had to pay for them in advance. Like my buddy in Erie, who's Atala/Fuji shop almost went under because of that debacle. I saw one gold plated bike at TOSRV in 1975 or 76, and two years ago a kid tried talking me into buying a really beat gold frame for $300.00 - no components, just the frameset. I laughed.

The gold plated bikes are all THAT screaming special. If anything, they're rare because they're of the first generation lugged frame Lamberts (which is the model that chick was straddling in the advert), and those in general aren't common due to the bankruptcy. Now, keep in mind I'm saying not common. I'm not necessarily saying valuable.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-01-11, 04:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As I recall Windsor was a Mexican brand name, back then, so the sponsors
brand was painted on a Custom DeRosa made super light Track Bike.

It was all about the payments, and taking place at the Mexico City
Olympic velodrome to take advantage of the air density reduction of riding at that
altitude, as there are just less air molecules to ride thru, that high.

Windsor , and several other brand names have changed hands since then ,
and have even less meaning. It really is just a painted on Logo, after all..
Old 12-05-11, 03:48 AM
icicle

Bikes: Gold Plated Lamberts (matched pair NOS), Cinelli, Icicles (road bikes, mountain bike, track bike, tandems, plus the original fat bike from 1988)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gold plating is between 6 and 10 microns when applied. There is less than an ounce of gold on even a 24 inch frame. The bikes were done as promotional items. The retail price was $279.95 which was twice what the painted versions cost. There were some lugless ones made and those had the sealed BB. The originals were English made frames that came from another builder. I seem to recall that Falcon had made some of them. I will post pictures of the pair that I own, but because they are in boxes in storage, it will take some effort before I can get them. One of them has brand new (still in excellent condition) Clement Campionato del Mundos with it. (Never glued on- replaced the Hutchinsons that ended up on my Masi.) The other one I think has Criterium Seta or Seta Extras. Be patient the pics will come eventually.
Old 01-16-12, 12:16 PM
mtree 

Bikes: '63 Raleigh Gran Sport, '72 Lambert Pro, '79 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Trek 850, '23 Blix Vika + Flex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[QUOTE=icicle;13564474] The originals were English made frames that came from another builder. I seem to recall that Falcon had made some of them.

I purchased my Lambert SS in May of 1973 for $144.98. In 1981 I sent it to Cycle Art where a nice complement of braze-ons were done (including a Campy derailleur hanger) and a great new (not authentic) paint job. The frame was lugged and to me had the appearance of a Viking frame which would make sense as that company was going down as Lambert came on the scene. I think I even saw letterhead with both Viking and Lambert named. It now runs with Phil hubs and BB, Huret derailleurs, King headset, TA crankset, Avocet saddle, Tange chrome fork and SunTour barcons; original brakes, crank arm bolts and seat post QR,

I have most of the components (no bb or hubs) in a box if someone was thinking of doing a rebuild.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lambert 2.jpg (100.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg
lambert.jpg (70.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by mtree; 01-16-12 at 12:30 PM. Reason: tech error
Old 01-16-12, 06:47 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Oh, this is fun - I just finished restoring an almost-Lambert (frame is original, everything else has been change) that I'm going to photograph tomorrow and do a submission in C&V. 39 years later, and I finally get one.

mtree, I'd be real interested in those components, as I'd love to put mine back to as close to original as I can. If my memory is correct, the lugged frames were definitely the pre-bankruptcy ones, I'm not sure how many were made that way after the reorganization.

By the way, if anyone has one of the original Lambert rear derailleurs, do not try riding with it. I got first hand reports back in the day that the road life of one of those was usually about a week or less - and can remember one guy who had one that blew apart on the road within a hour of taking delivery of the bike. They were incredibly weak, and probably the one part on the bike that was worse than the death fork.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-17-12, 12:21 PM
mtree 

Bikes: '63 Raleigh Gran Sport, '72 Lambert Pro, '79 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Trek 850, '23 Blix Vika + Flex

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[QUOTE=sykerocker;13728946]mtree, I'd be real interested in those components, as I'd love to put mine back to as close to original as I can. If my memory is correct, the lugged frames were definitely the pre-bankruptcy ones, I'm not sure how many were made that way after the reorganization.

Like I said, I would let them go if they were going back onto a LAMBERT; I won't be doing a rebuild of mine as I love where it is. As a mewbie I can't yet respond to forum PMs so you may have to give me a return email.
Old 01-18-12, 09:00 PM
sykerocker 

[QUOTE=mtree;13731745]
Originally Posted by sykerocker
mtree, I'd be real interested in those components, as I'd love to put mine back to as close to original as I can. If my memory is correct, the lugged frames were definitely the pre-bankruptcy ones, I'm not sure how many were made that way after the reorganization.

Like I said, I would let them go if they were going back onto a LAMBERT; I won't be doing a rebuild of mine as I love where it is. As a mewbie I can't yet respond to forum PMs so you may have to give me a return email.
Drop me a note at: sykerocker@hotmail.com

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-27-12, 11:15 AM
mtree 

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sykerocker mtree, I'd be real interested in those components, as I'd love to put mine back to as close to original as I can. If my memory is correct, the lugged frames were definitely the pre-bankruptcy ones, I'm not sure how many were made that way after the reorganization.

Sent out an email a few days back with a few photos - did you receive?

Last edited by mtree; 01-27-12 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 09-13-14, 02:19 PM
cloudbreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I just filled tires on my gold Lambert bike...gonna try to post a pic!
Pat
file:///IMG_1807.jpg
Old 09-13-14, 03:39 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Old 09-17-14, 04:05 AM
aussiepug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombie thread
Old 09-22-14, 01:33 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiepug
Zombie thread
And still no photos.

But to cut to the chase... it's a Lambert. How valuable could it possibly be?