Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting sandals = cool feet finally

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-01-13, 09:43 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

Picked up a pair of Keen commuting sandals over the weekend. https://www.rei.com/product/850785/ke...e-sandals-mens My feet greatly appreciated the cooling breeze this morning.

Now have sandals for hot, humid, rainy weather, MTB shoes, winter MTB shoes and regular hiking boots. Pretty much have it covered for year round commuting.

The bad - my wallet suffered a substantial hit, and they don't even come with cleats, but thankfully I had a spare pair; my feet move around a bit more in sandals compared to shoes; the cleat backing plate is junk and was thrown away

The good - my feet are cool and happy; no more socks!

Don't know why I waited so long to get a pair.
Old 07-01-13, 09:46 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice thing about a good pair of platform pedals is that you can make use of one's regular shoes of whichever style is most comfortable for the current weather conditions...
Old 07-01-13, 10:13 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Nice thing about a good pair of platform pedals is that you can make use of one's regular shoes of whichever style is most comfortable for the current weather conditions...
True, but I'm addicted to clipless pedals. I do use dual platform/clipless pedals in the winter so I can wear non-cycling hiking boots, but it's awful not being clipped in.
Old 07-01-13, 10:20 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got about 3500 miles on my Nashbar sandals I bought earlier this year, and I'm loving them. I think I paid around $37 or so for them, just have to get them on sale. I looked at the Keen sandals, but didn't care for the reviews.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_169948_-1___
Old 07-01-13, 10:25 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
When I ride flat pedals I wear my Merrell barefoot shoes (trail runners) without clips... they stick really well to toothy pedals,foot position is excellent and they are nice and cool.
Old 07-01-13, 10:53 AM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the same sandals in April for the rainy season here in South Florida. Now it's been a God sent for the summer heat! I'm able to have the upward stroke for those accelerations on the intersections or when the head wind tires my legs. I recently used my old pair of close SPD shoes in 88* weather and even thou it felt a little better performance wise, the heat inside my shoes, was noticeable hotter compare with the Keen sandals.

They serve now dual purpose, rainy days to dry faster and be comfortable in the train and cooler feet during the summer months (10 month out of the year).

I did have issues first with the spd cleats, (one kept coming loose). I changed the metal bracket and screws (from phillips (included) to allen) and used blue locktight and all is good now. Double O
Old 07-01-13, 11:22 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
I've got about 3500 miles on my Nashbar sandals I bought earlier this year, and I'm loving them. I think I paid around $37 or so for them, just have to get them on sale. I looked at the Keen sandals, but didn't care for the reviews.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_169948_-1___
I use the keen commuter sandals but the draw string does not stay tight. Do the nashbar sandals stay tight? What is the durability of the velcro straps?
Old 07-01-13, 12:09 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I love riding in my sandals (I think mine are North Face, doesn't matter) but I have to remember to lower my seat a little bit, as they are not as thick as the running shoes or hiking boots that I usually wear riding. Maybe my Birkenstocks would be better.
Old 07-01-13, 12:18 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my third year with Nashbar sandals. I love them and for me they are three season footwear unless it is going to be raining and cold. I've thought several times about getting a pair of waterproof socks to use then even when it is raining and cold, but a lot of reviews of waterproof socks are not so good, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 07-01-13, 12:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
can't imagine these fit snugly. my sandals have always been kinda slushy, especially if they are like these without laces and rely on an elastic string for tightness. I love the idea tho.
Old 07-01-13, 01:04 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Had the Keen Commuter Sandals in the past and were great summer cycling shoes.
Picked up a pair of Shimano cycling sandals at an LBS here on clearance. 75% off, for $25, in my size. Lucked out.
Love the freedom of no socks one strap in the summer.
Enjoy.
Old 07-01-13, 01:33 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
can't imagine these fit snugly. my sandals have always been kinda slushy, especially if they are like these without laces and rely on an elastic string for tightness. I love the idea tho.
The laces aren't elastic. Suppose you could tighten them up so they are snug, but I like a looser fit. My feet move around quite a bit in regular cycling shoes, and the sandals are definitely looser feeling due to the straps, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to them.
Old 07-01-13, 02:32 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
My feet move around quite a bit in regular cycling shoes,
For me, if they are moving around they are not working as designed. I find my keen sandals to be quite uncomfortable for longer rides or hill climbing. I use pearl izumi drifts instead but maybe I will try those nashbar sandals.
Old 07-01-13, 02:37 PM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I use the keen commuter sandals but the draw string does not stay tight. Do the nashbar sandals stay tight? What is the durability of the velcro straps?
I just took a close look at mine, and I don't see any signs of wear around the usual spots where straps tend to wear out, so I expect a good number of thousands of miles of use from them. They stay tight, too, there's enough velcro on the straps to keep things from getting loose.
Old 07-01-13, 02:54 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
I just took a close look at mine, and I don't see any signs of wear around the usual spots where straps tend to wear out, so I expect a good number of thousands of miles of use from them. They stay tight, too, there's enough velcro on the straps to keep things from getting loose.
Thanks. I just ordered a pair (10% off + free shipping at nashbar right now).
Old 07-01-13, 02:56 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Previous versions of the Keen commuter sandal were really narrow and I couldn't wear them. This year, the redesign that produced the Commuter III is really a great sandal. The trick that makes them a pretty good bike shoe is the velcro instep strap. I find it's pretty important to pull that tight to make you snug in the sandals. Then the lacing of the toes really doesn't matter. I had some Keen's (the non Commuter version) that didn't have that strap and they were pretty much worthless.

Really like the new version.

J.
Old 07-01-13, 02:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I have Keen Clones regular shoes, w/o the spud cleat, & they weigh half of what the ones with the cleat do..
even before mounting the cleat..
Old 07-01-13, 03:00 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
For me, if they are moving around they are not working as designed. I find my keen sandals to be quite uncomfortable for longer rides or hill climbing. I use pearl izumi drifts instead but maybe I will try those nashbar sandals.
Well, they are designed mainly to keep your foot on the pedal, and to be adjustable for a tighter or looser fit, so I have to disagree that they are not working as designed. I tend to wear shoes on the loose side, and no doubt do lose some power transfer, but I'm not racing or flying off jumps, so a tight fit is not that important. I hope they are comfortable for a 30 mile a day commute.
Old 07-01-13, 03:03 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I tried those Keen commuters they were narrow as ****, not same fit as the Newports at all. Just covering your toes adds a lot of warmth to shoes/sandals. My Venice Keens are much hotter than a slide sandal that leaves the toes open.
Old 07-01-13, 04:05 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I use sandals made by Six-Six-One that are SPD compatible and very secure with Velcro straps. They keep my feet cooler on warm days; don't get used in the winter or one days when it's raining.

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-01-13, 04:11 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hiking sandels and platforms. Enough stick for me and he marginal gain from being clipped in isn't worth the extra complication. I hate being attached to my bike. Tried clips and straps fir a while. It just feels.wrong.
Old 07-01-13, 05:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I discovered cycling in sandals a couple of years ago, too. Love it. I find that with wool socks, I can still be comfortable in fairly cold weather wearing sandals. And for really cold days, I can wear neoprene socks!

My sandals are not as snug as shoes, so I get reduced efficiency, but I don't mind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-13, 07:21 PM
alan s 

Tightened the laces a little and secured the velcro strap slightly tighter, and the sandals feel much better. Figured out I'm feeling more movement because of no socks actually, and not that they don't give as much support as a shoe. A small cleat adjustment on the left sandal and they will be perfect.
Old 07-01-13, 08:39 PM
GojiSube

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX; Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first heard the suggestion of wearing sandals when biking I laughed. Of course, I now ride all the time in a regular pair of Merrell sandals.
Old 07-02-13, 09:26 AM
alan s 

Now have the sandals dialed in, and all is good. They seem comfortable enough to ride all day in. I like the cushioning of the rubbery soles vs. stiffer soles of MTB shoes. Kind of bounces a little when stomping on the pedals, like a built in shock absorber.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.