Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

swap out kendas?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

swap out kendas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 11:32 PM
GaryinLA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swap out kendas?

maybe some of you have been in a similar situation. you buy an old bike off cl and the seller has put a new pair of cheap tires in the bike to help his sale. so ive got a beat up old 1987 schwinn voyageur with almost new 27" 1.25 cheap kenda tires. orig. i bought the bike for parts, it is a little big, my ideal size is 56 and it is 58 but i quickly found i can stand over it (no extra room) and ride it ok. so i put fenders on it and decided its my rain bike because its got the fenders, it is beatup but works, and i dont like it so much since fit isnt ideal and its got cheap tires and i dont want to throw money into it. but now im thinking maybe ifcits raining and im riding at night with cars on the road maybe this isnt the best safest setup. just considering these kenda 15 or 20 dollar tires, dont know exact model, they havent flatted, they arent terrible but my pasela tg tires feel better. there arent too many quality 27" tires. maybe id be somewhat safer in rain on scwhalbe marathon tires. generally question is what do u do with cheap new tires u get with bikes? do u ride them? i got a sequia with some cheap 700c 25mm chinese tires but getting rid of those was an easy choice because one blew up when i experimented to see if could take 120psi instead of max 100 on sidewall, and the other one got flats easy.
Old 12-12-13, 01:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by moochems
Whoever packed them folded them wrong and kinked the bead. Tires weren't perfect round, but close enough that I have them a try. On my 27 inch araya rims the tires would not stay on the rim, even at 80% of Mac inflate. Between a slight out of round, and two blowouts (thankfully while garages) I returned the tires.
Modern 27" tires often have higher max pressure ratings than they did back in the day. If you're running old steel rims, it takes a lot of care to achieve those pressures, and it's usually wiser to use a little less air, as long as you're avoiding pinch flats.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-12-13, 01:56 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by moochems
I(700x40 would be awesome).
I have some 700x45mm tires and considering 37mm.
Old 12-12-13, 02:56 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've used those tires before.. They are heavy, numb, and offer little in flat protection. That said, for a bar bike or something, perfect.