Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tommasini Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tommasini Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 01:38 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Tommasini Question

Pictured below is a red Tommasini. I'm confident it is original paint due to the fishnet paint scheme. This bike has a Prestige decal (not Super Prestige) with an SLX tubing decal located near the bottom of the seat tube. I guess this might be due to the small size so they relocate the decal from the top of the seat tube. This frame has full chrome on the rear triangle in addition to the fully chrome air fork. I did not know that Tommasini's Prestige model came with full chrome and SLX tubing. Can anyone provide some information on this please? Thanks!

Likes For cpsqlrwn:
Old 02-05-20, 02:19 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Nice, this is the sister bike of mine. I have the blue version of this one which I purchased in 1986. Mine has SLX tubing with the decal near to top of the seat tube.
Old 02-05-20, 04:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Beautiful Tommasini there, someone with deep knowledge will be along to help out shortly. I love my earlier model Prestige, you can always send an email to Barbara at the factory, through their website. She can tell you much of what you are asking about.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-05-20, 04:20 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
When Tommasini first introduced the SLX model, it was called Prestige, along with one of the SL models. Based on the combination of a bridgeless bottom bracket shell and internal brake cables, I have no reason to doubt the tubing decal. You are correct, it was Tommasini practice to locate the tubing decal near the base of the seat tube on the smaller frame sizes. Tommasini's terminology for the fishnet finish was retinato. Based on the combination of frame features and the SLX decal in combination with the SL decal of the fork, it should be circa 1985-1987.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-05-20, 05:36 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you, T-Mar, for this very clear explanation. I never realized that the Prestige and Super Prestige were not concurrent models during their early years.