Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 12:41 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Saddle adjustment

I've read that pain on one side of your sit bones and not the other, can mean one leg is shorter than the other. The article said to adjust your saddle either towards the side with the pain or away from it. I can't recall which. Anyone know which is correct or if that even works?
Old 07-28-20, 01:17 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
In general, you would move the saddle away from the side with the pain (the way the question is worded is a bit confusing). If you have sit bone pain (and you have gotten over the "general" saddle soreness that comes with getting used to being on the bike), I would lower the saddle slightly (like 1/8"/3mm) and see if things improve. Leg length discrepancies are fairly common, some use shims under their cleats to make up the difference (which is an alternative to changing an otherwise OK saddle height).

Do you notice your hips rocking from side to side when seated climbing? This is another sign (to me at least) to lower the saddle a bit.
Old 07-28-20, 02:44 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Gundo
I've read that pain on one side of your sit bones and not the other, can mean one leg is shorter than the other.
Or saddle is too high which is IMHO more probable. Move it 10 mm down and see if pain decreases.
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 07-28-20, 05:43 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Or saddle is too high which is IMHO more probable. Move it 10 mm down and see if pain decreases.
Okay I'll try that. I've had this issue for a few years even with a professional fit from my LBS. Thanks for the input
Old 07-28-20, 05:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
all the adjustments are up/down and back & forth on the saddle rails..
+ a little tilt varying from level
Personally I'm not a fan of down tilting the saddle.

my hips should not slip down off the saddle IMHO.
Old 07-28-20, 05:57 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Probably just need to make a (or some) saddle adjustments. I'm sure I have one leg shorter, was on crutches for 9 months after fracturing a hip when I was still in high school. I recently, after riding the same saddle on my road bike for a year, felt the saddle wasn't feeling just right. Adjusted the tilt (upward) a couple of times and feels like a totally different saddle, in a good way. Other than getting a year older, nothing else changed, but the change in saddle adjustment sure helped! Don't know if moving it off center left or right would help, didn't try that. Try a few adjustments, they can easily be reversed if they don't work.
Old 07-28-20, 05:57 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
all the adjustments are up/down and back & forth on the saddle rails..
+ a little tilt varying from level
Personally I'm not a fan of down tilting the saddle.

my hips should not slip down off the saddle IMHO.
I'm okay that way.I'll try lowering the saddle a bit and see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 07-28-20, 09:07 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I had a high tibial osteomoty on my left knee years ago, and as a result, it seems to help with comfort and keeping saddle sores at bay when i rotate saddle the nose slightly clockwise. My bars always feel best slightly cocked as well.
Old 07-29-20, 08:27 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Gundo
Okay I'll try that. I've had this issue for a few years even with a professional fit from my LBS. Thanks for the input
Not surprising, or unusual. I have seen many people have a too high seat from a "professional" fit. Too many fitters use measurements and formulae and ignore how the individual actually interfaces with the bike and resulting fit, thinking that if their numbers are right, all should be good. It doesn't work that way in real life, since flexibility varies from individual to individual. As stated before, most likely your seat is slightly too high.

You may want to read this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
And this: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Old 07-29-20, 09:13 AM
Gundo

I adjusted my saddle down a bit and did 23 miles this morning. Definitely better than before. Interestingly I was faster and did better on the climbs. Is this the saddle adjustment or the fact I've been off the bike for 3 days? It was very humid and after awhile I was soaked through and this created some issues when the chamois bunched up. Probably should have worn my bibs but wanted to try the adjustment with shorts. Thanks for all the help, I'll continue to try small adjustments until I get it dialed in.
Old 07-30-20, 08:21 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
My hamstring hits the part of the saddle where it widens to the back and I'm better off with very slight down tilt so I can pedal freely without the hamstring hitting the side of the saddle.
Actually, this means that you simply need a saddle of a different shape - the one with "sharper" transition to the wide part (saddle looking more like a T than a triangle). I have the same issue with some saddles. For example, with Cobb Randee saddle this is a huge issue for me but not an issue at all with Cobb San Remo.
Likes For Oso Polar: