Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Indoor Fan w/ Remote

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 07:11 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Indoor Fan w/ Remote

What are you guys and gals using for fans when training indoors? I have a decent fan ("Vornado") but it annoys me in that it has no remote control. In the winter when I ride indoors, my basement is usually pretty cool to down-right cold, so I start my rides with the fan "off". However, it doesn't take long before I want the fan turned on... which isn't do-able without getting off the bike to manually turn it on.

When I browse fans with remotes on Amazon, most of them are pedestal fans which I don't really care for. My experience with pedestal fans is that they fall or get knocked over until they are broken. Since I already have a decent floor fan that wasn't exactly cheap, I'm wondering if perhaps I could make it into a fan with a remote by buying a "smart switch" with a dimming feature. My assumption is that if the outlet can "dim" lights, it does so by lowering the current to the device that's plugged into it. Wouldn't that also work to control the speed of a fan?

Old 09-04-20, 07:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Another thread addressed this-- motors don't like dimmers. Motors want to have a specific amount of voltage and amperage at all times. Changing speeds via a dimmer (which is made only for light bulbs) will eventually make the motor very unhappy.

A remote switch is just fine.
Old 09-04-20, 07:46 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I use an extension cord with multiple outlets and a power switch on a table next to the trainer, but if I didn't have a table there, I'd drape the extension cord over the handlebars for easy access to the power switch.
Old 09-04-20, 07:58 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Another thread addressed this-- motors don't like dimmers. Motors want to have a specific amount of voltage and amperage at all times. Changing speeds via a dimmer (which is made only for light bulbs) will eventually make the motor very unhappy.
Thanks... that's the info I was looking for, but a bummer. I'd like to do more than just turn the fan on or off, I'd like to be able to adjust it's speed. Sometimes all I need is a slight breeze where as sometimes I do want a tornado of wind coming at me. The latter is pretty noisy so I don't typically prefer the fan to be on full-speed unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 09-05-20, 09:08 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Expensive but oooooo nice

i use a Wahoo headwind.
3modes
1. Fixed speed, controlled from buttons on fan or app
2. Bound to Kickr. Faster you “travel” the harder it blows
3. Bound to HRM. The faster your heart rate, the harder it blows.

Fan-tastic device (obvious pun intended.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-06-20, 06:19 AM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I've got 2 industrial fans on smart plugs.
Old 09-06-20, 10:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've got a majority of the Wahoo ecosystem but not the Headwind. Can't justify dropping the dough when I can just turn my dumb fans on max at the start of an indoor session, warm up, then take off an outer layer.