Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gilles Berthoud Aravis: 1,000-Mile Review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 08:16 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts

After struggling to find a comfortable "synthetic" saddle for longer rides (80+ miles) I decided to take a chance on a leather saddle. I purchased the Gilles Berthoud Aravis and a Selle Anatomica H2.

The Aravis was hard as a rock right out of the box and it sounded like a piece of wood when I knocked on it with my knuckles. Due to concern about the length of the rails I mounted it on a Velo Orange Grand Cru, which has 30mm of setback. Setup was easy. Using a spirit level I positioned the Aravis to be totally flat and then went for a ride.

I was immediately impressed with how comfortable the saddle was. Yes, it was very hard, but it provided excellent support for my sit bones. The saddle also had a spring-like feel going over bumps and road chatter. My goal for this first ride was 50-miles, but the saddle felt so good I went 122 miles. At roughly 80 miles into the ride I did start to feel some pressure on my perineum. It was pretty miner. I attributed it to the lack of a cutout and a normal part of the break-in process.

Prior to my 2nd ride I decided to position the saddle to be slightly nose-down (2-3mm). This change relieved the pressure on my perineum and I've not felt any saddle discomfort since making that alteration. After riding the saddle on almost a daily basis for the past few weeks I've put in a little more than 1,000 miles. My longest ride thus far is 152 miles with no pain or discomfort of any kind. The Aravis is supremely comfortable, and I've been able to eliminate the use of chamois cream with zero chafing.

As for the break-in of the Aravis, it started to show signs of molding to my right sit bone at around 500 miles. At roughly 700 miles I started to see a dimple forming on the left side of the saddle. By 1,000 miles the dimples around both sit bones are starting to equalize.

Despite the obvious signs of breaking-in, the Aravis hasn't softened or lost any structure. No retensioning has been necessary so far. The saddle is still very hard, but I absolutely love it this way.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-11-20, 08:02 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Some additional points of feedback as I approach 1,500 miles on the Aravis.

1. Perineum Pressure: Within the past few days I've done a couple of shorter 40-mile rides in a more aggressive riding position and have felt some very minor discomfort on my pireneum. I attribute this pressure to the following. As the saddle has formed depressions around my sit bones the center of the saddle has not yet yielded any ground. As a result, the soft tissue around my sit bones rests more firmly on the saddle. When you combine this with a more aggressive riding position it makes sense that the pireneum would experience more saddle pressure. Perhaps I need to slightly retension the saddle, or the saddle may just be entering it's 2nd phase of break-in. Time will tell, and I'll report back at 2,000 miles with an update.

2. Slippage: I read a lot of comments about leather saddle tops being "slippery" when they're new. Many report having to angle to saddle up to avoid slipping forward when riding. I've not experienced this dynamic with the Aravis. No slippage whatsoever even though the nose is angled slightly down by ~2-3mm.

3. Color Bleed: Another common point of feedback I see with regard to black leather saddles is "color bleed" when the saddle gets wet, resulting in a dark stain on the rear of your shorts. The Aravis will bleed slightly when wet, but it has not translated into any stains on the rear of my shorts.

The Aravis continues to be my favorite saddle, so much so that I ordered a 2nd.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 05-08-23, 05:41 PM
Darney76

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there. Thanks for the review. I'm curious how this saddle worked out for you after more miles on it. I'm currently on a Galibier, but as time goes on it is feeling more and more narrow with increased perineal pressure that I can't seem to fix with any adjustments. I'm looking at the Aravis or Aravis Open, as I'm wondering if the Galibier is just too narrow for me. I also find that I slip forward on it if I have anything less than 2 degrees tilted back, and even then there seems to be too much pressure on my hands. I also had issues with setback on those rails, but found a 3T Dorico post that lets me get a good 25-30 mm of setback.
Old 05-08-23, 07:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Darney76
Hi there. Thanks for the review. I'm curious how this saddle worked out for you after more miles on it. I'm currently on a Galibier, but as time goes on it is feeling more and more narrow with increased perineal pressure that I can't seem to fix with any adjustments. I'm looking at the Aravis or Aravis Open, as I'm wondering if the Galibier is just too narrow for me. I also find that I slip forward on it if I have anything less than 2 degrees tilted back, and even then there seems to be too much pressure on my hands. I also had issues with setback on those rails, but found a 3T Dorico post that lets me get a good 25-30 mm of setback.
Good luck getting more info from a poster banned over two years ago...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-08-23, 08:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
3 posts in 17 years responding to a banned forum member, I just have to respond myself.

I have probably 40- 50k on an Aravis. Yes, it is wider than the Galibier. The Berthoud does not have as long rails as the B17. I found it very comfortable w/o any problems in the perineum. As you know, the Berthoud leather is very thick and dense, meaning the breakin takes a while. I did ruin the leather riding several days in the rain, but the leather is very easily replaced. The Aravis, B17, and C13 (158 mm version) are my favorite long distance saddles. Unfortunately, you just have to lay the money down and try......
Old 05-11-23, 08:51 AM
Darney76

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, GhostRider62 . Yeah, I realized right after replying, but figured I'd leave it in case someone would respond (and I was right!). I think I also ruined the leather on the Galibier, getting it soaked on a rainy 300K and before getting a cover and learning about Obenauf's LP, but I think I was able to bring it back somewhat. Good to hear about your experience on the Aravis. I went ahead and ordered an Aravis Open from Spa Cycles. We'll see how it goes... maybe I'll post my results here